Half Moon Cay - Snorkeling from the beach??

Seafoam Green

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to enter the water from the beach for good snorkeling on HMC? Or should we just leave our gear in the cabin and go for a swim instead?

We received perfect directions for very nice snorkeling on Princess Cay, and were pleased with the results.

Thank you for any information that you can provide. We are booked on all the other ports for snorkeling or scuba, so we won't be booking anything on HMC.

:D

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to enter the water from the beach for good snorkeling on HMC? Or should we just leave our gear in the cabin and go for a swim instead?

We received perfect directions for very nice snorkeling on Princess Cay, and were pleased with the results.

Thank you for any information that you can provide. We are booked on all the other ports for snorkeling or scuba, so we won't be booking anything on HMC.

When we were there at the end of December, people who had been snorkeling were talking about sea turtles along the coral on the left side as you look at the ocean from the beach. You can easily enter the water from the beach and swim out/along the coral there.

When we were there at the end of December, people who had been snorkeling were talking about sea turtles along the coral on the left side as you look at the ocean from the beach. You can easily enter the water from the beach and swim out/along the coral there.

Thank you - that sounds promising. Do you think the sea turtles are on the HAL payroll?;)

When we were at Half Moon Cay a couple years ago, my daughter and I had a fine time snorkeling on our own. No, it's not the Great Barrier Reef, but since we had our own snorkels and masks, it was a cheap way to spend a couple of hours.

Here's a link to a map of the island. #1 is the Snorkel Area and you can get there by swimming out directly from the kids's playground/aqua park area. We saw a bunch of fish and some barracuda amongst the coral.

We also tried some snorkeling around the rocky area at the far end by the stables. There was fish there, but the current was pretty strong and you had to be careful not to get thrown into the rocks. I wouldn't particularly recommend going here.

For some reason, Cruise Critic doesn't like the link. Join the two words "tiny" and "url" and insert it where you see the astericks.

http://*******.com/hlphzhz

Edited by GradUT

When we were at Half Moon Cay a couple years ago, my daughter and I had a fine time snorkeling on our own. No, it's not the Great Barrier Reef, but since we had our own snorkels and masks, it was a cheap way to spend a couple of hours.

Here's a link to a map of the island. #1 is the Snorkel Area and you can get there by swimming out directly from the kids's playground/aqua park area. We saw a bunch of fish and some barracuda amongst the coral.

We also tried some snorkeling around the rocky area at the far end by the stables. There was fish there, but the current was pretty strong and you had to be careful not to get thrown into the rocks. I wouldn't particularly recommend going here.

For some reason, Cruise Critic doesn't like the link. Join the two words "tiny" and "url" and insert it where you see the astericks.

http://*******.com/hlphzhz

I didn't have any luck with the link, but I will note the locations you mentioned. Thanks very much!

I have snorkeled Half Moon Cay from the snorkeling excursion offered by Holland America.

This excursion was off a very nice boat. The snorkeling was wonderful and I saw thousands of fish. The equipment was good and I felt the crew was extremely concerned about my safety. The price was reasonable. Overall a very good experience.

My DH and I have snorkelled at Half Moon Cay a half a dozen times and always enjoyed it very much. As mentioned if you swim out from the children's play area you will come across several about 8 feet high cone shaped artificial substrate. The fish like to swim around and inside the substrate. You will find yourself swimming in the middle of a school of sargeant major fish (they are yellowish or blue in colour with black stripes and friendly). There are often many other species of fish, squirrelfish, wrasse (very small colourful fish) and we have seen a large grouper. As you enter the water you may see a small school of african pompano, a white almost translucent fish. Along the rocky wall there are many very small sargeant majors and some beautiful anemones, orange and red, very pretty. The bottom is all sand and so it is very easy to walk out or swim. Hope you have a great time.

I was one of those December snorkelers who saw a sea turtle. I still have to edit and combine my gopro footage, may post link here when/if I finish it. But basically, snorkeling off the beach won't have that many fish but is a cheap tour (ie. free) if you bring your own gear. I'm comparing to Aruba and especially Bonaire. Still lots more fish than the MD Atlantic beaches though.

Edited by vicd1969

My DH and I have snorkelled at Half Moon Cay a half a dozen times and always enjoyed it very much. As mentioned if you swim out from the children's play area you will come across several about 8 feet high cone shaped artificial substrate. The fish like to swim around and inside the substrate. You will find yourself swimming in the middle of a school of sargeant major fish (they are yellowish or blue in colour with black stripes and friendly). There are often many other species of fish, squirrelfish, wrasse (very small colourful fish) and we have seen a large grouper. As you enter the water you may see a small school of african pompano, a white almost translucent fish. Along the rocky wall there are many very small sargeant majors and some beautiful anemones, orange and red, very pretty. The bottom is all sand and so it is very easy to walk out or swim. Hope you have a great time.

Thank you for sharing - it sounds like it will be worthwhile and it will get us back into warm weather activities at our own pace. It seems like everyone agrees on the place to snorkel, so that's great too.

I was one of those December snorkelers who saw a sea turtle. I still have to edit and combine my gopro footage, may post link here when/if I finish it. But basically, snorkeling off the beach won't have that many fish but is a cheap tour (ie. free) if you bring your own gear. I'm comparing to Aruba and especially Bonaire. Still lots more fish than the MD Atlantic beaches though.

Lucky you, seeing a turtle. I was hoping snorkeling off the beach would be a good 'tune up' for the rest of the ports, and it definitely seems like it will.

I loved snorkeling in Bonaire. Saw quite a few turtles as I drifted along there. I'm looking forward to our first visit to Curacao and seeing what's underwater there.

I do hope you post a link of your turtle sighting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Every time we've been to Half Moon Cay we've snorkeled by the kids area to the left of the beach. Each time we've encountered different things. This past fall we saw 2 turtles as well as the usual small fish. A couple years ago we saw a bunch of baracudas. One year we saw a very large baracuda. But everytime we were glad we brought our snorkel gear. Here's my last blog from there when we saw the turtles. Half moon cay was our last port:

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2015/11/2015-nov-8-15-western-caribbean-cruise.html

my other blogs with half moon cay snorkeling in them are here:

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/search/label/half%20moon%20cay

our 1st trip there (which would be the last one blogged) I also have pictures from their snorkel excursion.

As the others mentioned, probably the best area to snorkel is along the rocks next to the kids area. There is more seagrass there, so much higher chance of seeing a turtle. As you go down the beach, the water is gorgeous, but not much to see. It's just wavy white sand as far out as you can see. Here's a pic I took near the rocks this past October.

ry%3D480

Edited by Aquahound

Every time we've been to Half Moon Cay we've snorkeled by the kids area to the left of the beach. Each time we've encountered different things. This past fall we saw 2 turtles as well as the usual small fish. A couple years ago we saw a bunch of baracudas. One year we saw a very large baracuda. But everytime we were glad we brought our snorkel gear. Here's my last blog from there when we saw the turtles. Half moon cay was our last port:

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2015/11/2015-nov-8-15-western-caribbean-cruise.html

my other blogs with half moon cay snorkeling in them are here:

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/search/label/half%20moon%20cay

our 1st trip there (which would be the last one blogged) I also have pictures from their snorkel excursion.

Thank you so much! Great photos and info - I enjoyed the whole blog.

HMC looks fabulous, I'm so looking forward to this cruise!

As the others mentioned, probably the best area to snorkel is along the rocks next to the kids area. There is more seagrass there, so much higher chance of seeing a turtle. As you go down the beach, the water is gorgeous, but not much to see. It's just wavy white sand as far out as you can see. Here's a pic I took near the rocks this past October.

ry%3D480

Thank you for your post and for sharing that great turtle photo!

Thanks to Seafoam Green and all who responded to her question, I expect to spend a very active day at HMC next week. Susan, your pictures and labels were amazing!

I'm glad this thread helped you. I hope you will post back here with your snorkeling experience at HMC!