Tipping in Australia and NZ

Emperor Norton

It is unnecessary to tip, and thus if we are to state what a normal tip is it would be Zero!

Please also note that wherever you see a price displayed: THAT IS THE PRICE! no silly nonsense of hidden taxes charged at the till, service fees or any other malarky that the uncivilised like to think is correct and clever.

Edited by Adidas4fun

When we checked into our lodging on the Coromandel in NZ, we were informed by the older man who gave us our keys that tipping is a No-No in his country . I asked a few hours ago at the Sky City Grand in Auckland a bout tipping the bellman and the receptionist said it was optional. He's the only one who's been tipped by us in our week here.

I realize that different countries have different practices when it comes to tipping. Do people tip in Australia and NZ? If so for what things? Do you tip on your meal? In a pub? Taxi driver? chauffeur? If you do tip, about how much is "normal".?

Normal is no tip.

Please don't tip as it is unnecessary, raises unreasonable expectations and encourages poor behaviour.

In Sydney, everyone we know tips a little in restaurants if the service is good. But no more than 5%. You can round up for taxis but not required. Tip jars are handy for getting rid of heavy change. We do not tip hairdressers, tour guides etc.

People in the service industries in Australia and NZ are paid a decent, living wage. They don't have to rely on tips for their income.

I will give a small tip for service "above and beyond" and I usually tell a taxi driver to keep the change. Otherwise, I don't tip. It isn't necessary here.

Unlike most other countries tipping isn't a big thing in Australia, we always tip in restaurants/cafes but only around 5% or up to the nearest $5 or $10, but only for good service.

In a pub we leave the change if just having a drink or a lot of pubs/restaurants/cafes have tip jars, so the change just goes in there.

Taxis for us is just rounding up, I have never tipped a hairdresser or other service provider....tours are just the price quoted nothing extra is expected.

We have found New Zealand is pretty much the same as Australia with tipping.

Normal is no tip.

Please don't tip as it is unnecessary, raises unreasonable expectations and encourages poor behaviour.

I wish there was a "LIKE" button because I would hit it 3 times. Please do not tip in Australia. It is a habit that we don't need to encourage. Everyone earns a reasonable wage and tipping just creates problems just like the OP is asking.

lots of "likes" from me too. Tipping is not wanted or expected in NZ. The only time I do it is rounding up a taxi fare - and that is more about not waiting for the change rather than an actual tip. Even that is going by the wayside as we tend to pay by card for taxis now rather than cash.

Cafes try to put out "karma jars" but most people don't buy into that either. Many shops will have charity boxes at the till so that gets the spare change.

Our service workers earn at least minimum wage, often more which is sufficient to live on here, no extra money required.

Most service providers do it out of a genuine love of providing customer service, this is especially true for tour guides. It is better to be generous with your praise than money - if you have a really good experience a thank you email or good review on trip adviser is more appropriate than money.

We want you to have a genuinely good time in NZ and most kiwis are friendly and helpful because that is our culture. We don't do it to get more money!

Honestly unless a waiter has performed CPR on me - everything else they do is their job and what they are paid to do (and paid very well when penalty rates are taken into account).

There is utterly nothing "exceptional" about writing an order down, filling a water bottle and carrying plates. It is their job description.

A taxi driver or car service is paid to take you from A to B - there is nothing "exceptional" about that. If the fare is $19.50 - round it up to a $20 note more to save yourself collecting annoying coins - not because they have done something "exceptional".

A brain surgeon performs exceptional work but we still pay his exact price - no tip !

The life savers at the beach perform exceptional work and most of them are volunteers getting paid nothing - and you dont see any tourists shoving a $50 in their hands after they have been dragged from the surf almost dead.

The more ignorant (being the ones who ask the question and then do it anyway) or unknowing tourists bringing their habits here the more service goes downhill because of the ridiculous expectations in the hospitality industry that we someday just might "americanise".

The more ignorant (being the ones who ask the question and then do it anyway) or unknowing tourists bringing their habits here the more service goes downhill because of the ridiculous expectations in the hospitality industry that we someday just might "americanise".

And then you'll have to spell it "Americanize" ;)

it isn't what is the norm here but people will give a tip at a restaurant if they got good service a lovely meal my friends will pay and give a few dollars extra quite often but it is not expected like it is in other countries

lots of "likes" from me too. Tipping is not wanted or expected in NZ. The only time I do it is rounding up a taxi fare - and that is more about not waiting for the change rather than an actual tip. Even that is going by the wayside as we tend to pay by card for taxis now rather than cash.

Cafes try to put out "karma jars" but most people don't buy into that either. Many shops will have charity boxes at the till so that gets the spare change.

Our service workers earn at least minimum wage, often more which is sufficient to live on here, no extra money required.

Most service providers do it out of a genuine love of providing customer service, this is especially true for tour guides. It is better to be generous with your praise than money - if you have a really good experience a thank you email or good review on trip adviser is more appropriate than money.

We want you to have a genuinely good time in NZ and most kiwis are friendly and helpful because that is our culture. We don't do it to get more money!

Thanks for your post.

Have you ever asked the staff what happens to the "tip" money in the "karma jars", I have, and been told that they

(1) have no idea,

(2) have never been given any of the money,

(3) money was used towards new kitchen equipment.

Went to a cafe for lunch yesterday. The bill was around $240 and we offered a credit card. As the staff person put the card in and of course we do not sign here, there was no tip at all. I thought the girl looked a little sad behind her farewell smile. I would think they have lost a lot of tips from the no sign credit cards.

The seeming exception to all the "no tipping" guidelines are for private tour guides, at least from what I'm reading. The advice is frustratingly inconsistent though.

We have private van + guide tours booked in most ports for our upcoming cruise to NZ/AUS. 10% is pretty standard to a private guide many places in the world. I figured we'd tip something in the 5-10% range there since it a no/low tipping culture. Does that sound normal for a private van and guide there?

The seeming exception to all the "no tipping" guidelines are for private tour guides, at least from what I'm reading. The advice is frustratingly inconsistent though.

We have private van + guide tours booked in most ports for our upcoming cruise to NZ/AUS. 10% is pretty standard to a private guide many places in the world. I figured we'd tip something in the 5-10% range there since it a no/low tipping culture. Does that sound normal for a private van and guide there?

Nope not normal at all.

They'll take it of course they'll take it. But certainly not an exception to the general positions.

Do you tip a bus driver when you go from A to B you know like a public bus?

Not sure just why Americans are so fixated on tipping.

Nope not normal at all.

They'll take it of course they'll take it. But certainly not an exception to the general positions.

Do you tip a bus driver when you go from A to B you know like a public bus?

Not sure just why Americans are so fixated on tipping.

I wasn't talking about a public bus driver, I was talking about a private tour guide.

Hey, I'd love to save the money if tipping private tour guides isn't common practice there, but multiple travel articles I've read on the topic say to go ahead and tip tour guides, like this one...

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2008-11-11/etiquette-101-tipping-guide

Perhaps I just found a bad reference? It is rather frustrating since there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on the matter.

I wasn't talking about a public bus driver, I was talking about a private tour guide.

Hey, I'd love to save the money if tipping private tour guides isn't common practice there, but multiple travel articles I've read on the topic say to go ahead and tip tour guides, like this one...

Perhaps I just found a bad reference? It is rather frustrating since there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on the matter.

That article is completely wrong when it comes to Australia and New Zealand. Ignore everything it says about tipping in those countries, including the comment from Donna Thomas of New Zealand Travel.

As already stated, people will always take your money, but it is neither expected nor encouraged that you tip. Workers in Australia and New Zealand make a living wage--they don't depend on tips to survive as they do in the U.S. Yes, as an American living in Australia for several years, it was a bit odd at first not to tip. But, believe me, I sure got used to it fast!

So, enjoy your tour and thank your guide at the end. That's it.

No but I was asking "Do you tip a public bus driver" if not why not, surely he is providing a service.

That article is, with all respect, rubbish.

Just like on my last cruise Aus/NZ when the line was advising to tip 10-20% in various Ports, absolute rubbish.

Funny you get advice from people who live here, direct in these boards, yet won't accept it.

As I said I'm sure they'll take your dough.

Some tour operators put a box I tin near the exit, watch closely the locals will be the Inez's not putting money in.

I've been known to give a guide or driver a few bucks when h has gone over and above, or I want to get I'd of a pocketful of change. Especially when it is clear that they are a volunteer as many are.

But it is neither the Norm, nor necessary.