Diabetes

rnrcruzin

Good Day everyone. I thought I'd ask this question to the collective. My DW was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Now I know thousands of folks live with this all the time and a lot of them cruise, but it's a new experience for us.

We have almost a year before our next adventure so I'm fairly certain we have enough time to train ourselves. However we were wondering how difficult it’s been for folks in the same situation to dine either in the MDR or Blu? Does Celebrity make any accommodations by way of a special menu or were you on your own? Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You sound proactive and that is the first step to dealing with this crappy disease. We are taking our first cruise in years on Celebrity in 2017, and although others will probably know more details about the dining options, I would think any of the cruise ships would be able to accommodate your diet if you tell them what you need. My husband has type 1 which has it's own set of issues. Once you know what works for you, it will be easier to travel and eat away from home. Take care and enjoy your cruise!

My father and husband are diabetic. They have not asked for a special menu. They both try and not eat to many carbs ( bread, rice, potato). If they have desert they have the no sugar added. We also eat dinner about 6pm. As we seem to go to bed early an a late dinner does not work well with our daily routine. Working with a nutritionist will help with planning meals and options.

There are any others in your situation and the existing menu options provide lots of choices for you to properly manage your diet. Sort of think of having a giant oversize buffet plus four or 5 different restaurants offering various types of food! Congratulations on being proactive in managing your condition. Too many others do not!

No issues for type 2 me....you have time to learn what works for you in planning meals

.AQ spa cafe & BLU are excellent but any place is fine....just need to count carbs, avoid sugary drinks, stay away from breads, overdoing white potatoes and pastas, cookies, cakes and some desserts...sugar free is not necessarily carb free; and I use vinegar, oil or lemon on salads..

We also try to stick to same meal schedule as home, take wrapped crackers on long excursions...

It won't be the same as home but is quite manageable, your nutritionst will be a good resource.

ENJOY!

Edited by hcat

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, not a good one, yet good to know now and be able to plan life around and about.

I, too, have T2 and have found on each and every cruise that there is food always available for my lifestyle. Your DW needs to determine the approach she is taking to control or reverse this diagnosis and maintain. The good thing about cruises, everyday your 'chef' can prepare and present food which is within your eating regimen as well as using the gym too. Each of us with T2 have different approaches to our dietary habits, for sure, once it is decided how she will go, then let the Maitre'D know once on board...

Good luck and bon voyage

I have type 2 diabetes and it does take a while to get over the shock of diagnosis and then to regulate your diet to accommodate your blood sugar.

Get a meter and pay attention to what foods lower or maintain a level of the sugar, what foods keep it the same and what foods help bring it down.

I lead a very normal life (with my medications). I eat what I like, I drink wine (and other alcohols), but all in moderation, with a few overindulgences now and then. :)

While it is overwhelming now, it will quickly become a matter of fact and your life will change very little if you pay attention.

I have been on many cruises and vacations and my diabetes has never dampened or prevented me doing any of the things I enjoy.

Don't worry - it really is doable if you are a bit careful. Find your own strategy to see what works best for you.

My DH, for example eats lots of salads , takes care to find a less fatty and sugary dressing and prefers yoghurts and fresh fruit to ice-creams and desserts because even the "no-sugar-added" ones seem to elevate his blood sugar and we personally find the desserts on Celebrity ships much too sweet anyway - but that's our individual opinion - we don't even take sugar into our coffees or teas...He also takes care in regard to comfort foods - a hamburger is certainly possible but only a few fries and half a bun or just a salad to go with it. Multi-grain breads are better than white toast. But in general he can find lots of choices in the regular menus.

And of course it's coke zero instead of regular sodas and he avoids many of the cocktail choices because of the added syrup. But the bartenders are always very helpful if we ask for a "special".

Another thing I have learned to do in the last few years when going shopping is to read the fine print on foods in regard to carbs and sugar content! It's sometimes amazing what you see!!

Good Day everyone. I thought I'd ask this question to the collective. My DW was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Now I know thousands of folks live with this all the time and a lot of them cruise, but it's a new experience for us.

We have almost a year before our next adventure so I'm fairly certain we have enough time to train ourselves. However we were wondering how difficult it’s been for folks in the same situation to dine either in the MDR or Blu? Does Celebrity make any accommodations by way of a special menu or were you on your own? Any help would be appreciated.

On my second cruise with Celebrity I was also recently diagnosed prior to the cruise. They were VERY accommodating. If your wife is on medicine as well, she should be able to handle things with ease. If you or she is concerned about what to eat, ask your doctor to suggest a nutritionist to provide her with some guidelines and info.

Trust me, it's not a death sentence. :) In all my vacations since then, I've thoroughly enjoyed myself without feeling as if I was missing anything.

I was diagnosed with Type II 16 years ago. I think we have been on 10 cruises since then including our last 4 on Celebrity. We have always eaten in the MDR and I have never had a problem finding lots of things to eat. While it is a tough diagnosis it is not the end of the world as long as you listen to your doctors, take your meds, monitor your daily sugar and adjust your eating and exercise daily. I get a break because I don't really drink by choice, it was never my thing but I can still have a small ice cream and a desert each day as long as I put in my daily miles. It is not a a time you can just splurge and say I will make it up next week, you just need to be reasonable.

We'd like to thank everyone for their quick responses. Her diagnosis is less than two weeks, so we know there is a steep learning curve. I plan on joining her as she learns how to regulate her diet. Besides I need take some of this gut off that I've spent the last 23 years building after I retired from the military.

Again, thanks everyone.

My father and husband are diabetic. They have not asked for a special menu. They both try and not eat to many carbs ( bread, rice, potato). If they have desert they have the no sugar added. .

THIS!

I don't use any special menu, I manage my own dietary. No sugar and few starches if any....be prepared to be challenged though! It's hard.:D

Edited by BecciBoo

I was diagnosed Type II in August. My glucometer will be in my carry-on. I agree that consulting with a Diabetes Dietician will be helpful to you. I've also been working with a professional trainer at my gym, who is helping me achieve some fitness goals in regard to my upcoming cruise. My cabin-mate and I have agreed we will plan time each day in the ship's gym, and will take the stairs on board, whenever possible.

In my past cruises, I have never gained weight because I prefer the stairs to the elevators. This cruise, it is anticipated I will lose at least 1 pound or more, thanks to the combination of diet and exercise.

Hope you and your DW enjoy your next cruise....with good food/drink choices and exercise....you'll have a blast!

I have had type I for 23 years, and believe me, you learn to manage! While type 2 is more dependent on diet for control (If I underestimate carb content, I can just plug my BG number into my pump and take insulin to correct for my error.), the 'ideal' diets are pretty much the same. Try to limit all carbs, but in your case, simple carbs in particular.

One good thing I have noticed while cruising is that even the standard meals are not very high carb, if you avoid dishes which are primarily pasta. The serving size of rice, potatoes, etc are very reasonable.

Do be sure to visit with a dietitian / nutritionist, they can help you understand what foods are 'good' what to try to avoid and the carb content of various foods.

I think the most important thing will be to keep checking your BG as your doctor suggests and take any meds as directed. Also be sure you get some exercise, even a brisk walk around the ship on a sea day. A change in routine can cause an upset in control, so don't get too upset if your numbers go A LITTLE differently that you are used to. Be sure to mention the cruise to your Endo and ask them for any advice and how to be prepared in case of unusual issues.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

According to US 2012 statistics, 9.3% of all adults 20 or over have diabetes, and 25.9% of age 65 and over have diabetes. When the ship has 50% of passengers 65 and over, there would be 13% diabetic passengers on board.

I may be late to the postings but if I could live on a ship I probably wouldn't need to watch my carbs. My numbers are always better on a ship. I think it is a combination of exercise, using the stairs, and avoiding the "white" carbs. You will learn all this when you seek out a dietician. Every hospital and major clinics have diabetes classes. They will give you some good advice and some quirky advice too.

I also prefer the Blu menu. Since the dining room is so small, in comparison, it's easier to have the full attention of the waitstaff.

Forgot to add, my insurance carrier paid for me to go to diabetes school....5 weeks of talks about the disease, the diets, the balance....well worth it so ask

Mr. Click, sorry for going off topic but I always like to see photos of cruises and if you are going to have a link to photos of your trip in your signature...don't make it a protected photo site or include the password so we can see them :)

I was diagnosed with Type 2 at the age of 55 (I'm now 62)...It came as a shock to me...but, what I have found is that it is quite manageable...and I have gone on a great many cruises since then with no problem...

With the help of medication, of course, I've been able to keep my A1C in the "6" range the entire time.

First, I made some changes to my diet--I am not driving myself crazy counting everything...It's more in the mode of lifestyle changes. I cut out most all forms of straight sugar...things like candy (except sugar free stuff--I'll get back to that later), cakes, cookies, sugary drinks, etc. You can't eliminate ALL sugar...you will find it is in virtually everything. A bowl of Wheaties, for example, has 4 grams of sugar. But I now read those nutritional facts on foods at the market. A few grams of sugar, okay (Note that most "No sugar added" ice creams still have 4-5 grams of sugar per 4 ounce scoops...but I consider that acceptable). I also look at the "Carbs". Again, hard to eliminate completely, but I just look for the lower the better.

I certainly haven't eliminated carbs--I love things like bread, pizza and pasta...But I've learned that carbs are something that turn into sugar. Way to eliminate that is EXERCISE. You can burn them off before they become sugar. Exercise regularly.

As to the "Sugar Free" stuff, beware. It is really great for satisfying that sweet tooth...but most contains "sugar alcohol"--not bad for Diabetics--but it gives you GAS. Bad gas. So, despite them being yummy, do not fill up on those sugar free gummy bears. Learn to eat that sort of stuff in moderation--very small servings. A great snack, BTW, are any of the Atkins products--they have snacks that taste just like Milky Ways or Baby Ruths--and are low sugar/low carb.

Now, when I cruise, I really can't see all those same "nutritional facts" as when I shop for my own food...But, I do have a pretty good idea now of what is good --or not good--for me. So, on the cruise ship, I just try to make the proper food choices. For me, for the most part, I only eat the no sugar desserts--or the No Sugar Added ice creams--I've found there is ALWAYS one available--both at meals in the MDR and at the ice cream place in the buffet. They will also have no sugar cookies--at the buffet and at the coffee place--I usually get a couple extra chocolate chips to keep in the cabin. At meals, just go for the stuff that has more meat or fish, less pasta and keep the bread down. Avoid the stuff with the sweet, gooey sauces--they tend to have a lot of sugar. Drink Diet Soda or Iced Tea with artificial sweetener.

Past that, I just forget about it and enjoy the cruise.

7 years into this, I've never had ANY ill effects from the Type 2...and my doctor assures me that I likely never will. As I said, I've kept my A1C down around the acceptable "6". OTOH, everyone is different...and everyone's case is different. I've met other Type 2 Diabetics who have had those low blood sugar spikes and have to carry around some form of sugar to combat that (I've never experienced that, so I don't). I'd suggest checking with your doctor before the cruise, reviewing your case and taking whatever pointers he/she gives you...especially since this is all new to you.

Have fun...

My husband was diagnosed with type 1 about 5 years ago. We haven't let it stop us from traveling all over the world. Once you feel comfortable with counting carbs it gets easier. AS said before watch out for sugar free cookies (they tend to have carbs too). We find his BSL are actually better on a cruise because he has more option for choices. Tell your wait staff he is on a sugar restricted diet and they should be able to offer him some choices.

I've been Type 2 for 10 years now, and I will echo the fact that there are plenty of options on board. She will have to figure out what works for her and her diabetes since everyone is different.

I tend to avoid potatoes and pastas and sugary drinks, but depending on how she manages her blood sugar, sometimes you can have some in small amounts.

It's hard to break old habits, but she will feel better once she is managed.

Enjoy the cruise!!

Even though the diagnosis of diabetes can be a shocker,as it was for us when Hubby received the word last summer, it should not slow down your cruising one bit. In fact, we love the choices on Celebrity Solstice Class ships because there is so much to choose from that still fits within prudent diet guidelines for Type Two diabetics.

Hubby's case was caught early, so he isn't on insulin. I don't know what different guidelines there are for those who do take insulin. I do know this. Hubby is an obsessive record keeper, so he has meticulously tracked his eating the last seven months to learn what works and what doesn't for him. One surprising thing he has learned is that his beloved steaks do raise his blood glucose, as does pork. Now he eats steak and pork only as rare treats and eats only a small amount. No more jumbo cowboy steaks from Ruth's Chris for him.

He has the best luck with fish, fresh veggies and salads, some fruits, nuts, a small serving of beans, and a few nibbles of whole grain bread. All of these are readily available on Celebrity. He's had to give up his favorite dessert, ice cream. He has discovered that too much volume no matter what the food is can raise glucose. And he believes getting overtired will raise it too.

Hubby is adamant about walking and does so twice every day. He walks about eight to ten miles a day as measured on an app on his phone.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. Just measure your blood glucose daily to catch any elevation early. If that happens, you will know to cut back.

Coach Pete, try Baltic 15... I set that up for folks on our Baltic cruise last May/June and the password was on the roll call....I guess I need to figure out a better way next time.

Bruin Steve, great summary of what living with Type II is all about. My A1C was 5.7 in October and my doc is very happy and so am I :)