Help, any use a portable bedrail instead of pack n play?

tribefan

We will be doing a family cruise in March with our kids and 20 month old granddaughter. They have a promenade cabin on the Explorer and after looking at pictures, I know it will be crammed if they put a pack n play in there for her to sleep in. I have seen on cruise critic pictures of a portable bed rail that people have used, but now I can't seem to find them. Does anyone know what I mean? You can put it under the cushions of the couch and turn it into the bed for them instead. I thought this would be much easier to use and lots less vauable space being taken up.

thanks!

I'd try e-bay first, but they do sell them at Target online. Be careful with the one at Target, it got a bad review because the baby fell through it.

Another option that we'll probably do with my DS is to lay a blanket on the floor for hium/her to sleep on in a corner and then just fold it and put it up each morning. My DS will be 18 mo when we go and he is a climber. I don't want him to try and climb out of the pack-n-play and hurt himself. He sleeps just as well on the floor on a blanket that he does in his toddler bed anyway.

Hope this helps.

Kim

I'd try e-bay first, but they do sell them at Target online. Be careful with the one at Target, it got a bad review because the baby fell through it.

Another option that we'll probably do with my DS is to lay a blanket on the floor for hium/her to sleep on in a corner and then just fold it and put it up each morning. My DS will be 18 mo when we go and he is a climber. I don't want him to try and climb out of the pack-n-play and hurt himself. He sleeps just as well on the floor on a blanket that he does in his toddler bed anyway.

Hope this helps.

Kim

You can get bed rails at many stores - we got ours at Toys'R Us. It doesn't say "portable" but you can look at the size of the box in the store and make sure that it fits in your luggage. You don't need any tools to stretch it/shrink it, so it works great.

Make sure you call the cruise company and ask if bed rails work with their couch type (depends even on the cabin type not only on the ship). We just came back from a cruise on the Norwegian Jewel with our 2 year old . The sofa in the mini-suite was designed in such a way that we could not add a bed rail to it. (there was just air under the sofa once it was extended, so nothing there to hold the bed rail in place).

Our daughter was too tall for the pack and play so we asked for extra blankets that we rolled to simulate ,walls. Since the sofa was so large when extended (full size) she did great and was not trying to get out of bed. If your child is a climber and you can't use a bed rail I would think the idea of sleeping on the floor may be the best.

Rada

Here is a photo of how we used our DS's collapsable bed rail on the Victory a few years ago... http://community.webshots.com/photo/40178058/40722286hhPXdy .

This one collapses enough to fit inside our 30" upright rolling suitcase, and then we just carried it off (cable tied to the back of our umbrella stroller) the final day of the cruise rather than packing it in our luggage the night before. I don't think they make rails exactly like this one before because a child rolling against them and wiggling A LOT could push it off into the floor. However, we have used it with DS and now with DD with absolutely no problems. I think I saw a really tiny collapsable bed rail a while back in a OneStepAhead catalog (onestepahead.com), so you might check there. It was definitely better than having DS in a portacrib at age 2.5, as he was way too big for the portacrib by age 2.

• 2 weeks later...

We always make daddy sleep in the fold out bunk!!! Mommy and DS are nice and safe and comfy in the bed below. When our son was smaller we just backed the chair up agains the bed to keep him from rolling out.:)

Archived