First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

They will give you even more perks. If you have all the perks already from Celebrity, they will give you a percentage of the cruise cost in on board credit.

For example: On our last cruise we booked a sky suite for a 14 day Caribbean cruise while on board. We were given (from X) free gratuities, $650 on board credit, premium beverage package and free unlimited internet. All 4 perks.

Then when we transferred to our TA we received an additional $750 on board credit. It's refundable credit so likely we'll have most of that returned to our credit card at the end of the cruise.

That $750 extra (or whatever it is) is the reason we transfer.

We took a few cruises before we met people on board who were talking about it and we wondered why they transferred. Once we heard why, we did it on our next cruise and have used the same lady at the TA ever since.

We booked our 14 day cruise on board and received the 1,2,3, perks. We then transferred the booking to our TA and did not recive any additional OBC. Am I doing something wrong?

Great review and thanks for sharing, we have sailed Reflection twice and will be on Silly in May in the Batics. We sailed Allure January 31st which your picture of her was great.

For what you say above, all week while on a ship crew can't do enough for you. The messages left on the TV each day is over whelming. The last day on our last cruise I turned on the messages in the morning and it said

TIME FOR YOU TO GET OFF! DON'T LET THE CABIN DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ***! :D

LOL re the message!! (Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya)

Messages on the TV? I never saw any as our TV was always on the Navigation channel and Carol used it to order room service and check the account.

Were they messages alerting you to great art auctions or spa treatments?

Did you notice a few staff turning off the charm on the last morning too?

Thanks for the response and for the compliments. Much appreciated!

Norris

We booked our 14 day cruise on board and received the 1,2,3, perks. We then transferred the booking to our TA and did not recive any additional OBC. Am I doing something wrong?

You are using the wrong TA if additional OBC is important to you. Either check around and get a few quotes next time or ask someone on board for a few TA recommendations on your next cruise on your next cruise.

Make sure you task to have your on board booking assigned to you, so you can transfer it to your TA of choice later. They will default the booking to the TA you used for the cruise if you do not request otherwise.

Enjoy your cruise first and consider it a lesson learned.

You are using the wrong TA if additional OBC is important to you. Either check around and get a few quotes next time or ask someone on board for a few TA recommendations on your next cruise on your next cruise.

Make sure you task to have your on board booking assigned to you, so you can transfer it to your TA of choice later. They will default the booking to the TA you used for the cruise if you do not request otherwise.

Enjoy your cruise first and consider it a lesson learned.

Yes.

We use one of the very big on-line TAs that has the same initials as this web site. It's the only reason we use them, to get perks.

Norris, Even though it took parts of four days to read, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a review more. You brought back many fond memories of our first X cruise, aboard the Solstice last year. 18 wonderful days. First Solstice cruise for Luminae.

I am very thankful for all I learned from you and your responders. Our first stop WILL BE the Michael's Club concierge. I've always wanted to do a bridge tour. And have dinner with the captain without becoming employed as a waiter.:D

The cruise we booked before disembarking (normally wonderful perks for booking on board as you stated) has us aboard Millennium for a transpac with 10 sea days to try out those half-price specialty restaurants.:) After cruising in a Sky Suite (the other corner of deck seven BTW and yes, the walk to the elevator is long, but does work off some of those meals) we were offered a Celebrity Suite at a VERY good price ... so we will have even more "room in our room" as well as a dining "room" for meals and "tea".

It will be interesting to see the differences between Solstice Class and Millennium Class.

Thanks again and smooth sailing, Norris.

Cheers!

Hi and thanks for the compliments and for eating enough Wheeties to read the whole review!

18 days on the Solstice? WOW, that's a year of cruising for us right there.

Congrats on the Celebrity Suite, that's a great upgrade. A bargain price is good and hard to pass on. Where is it situated?

Agreed on hitting Michael's at the first opportunity. A relationship with the Concierge could open a lot of doors for you.

Thanks for stopping by to say hi.

Say hello to Sedona for us-one of our favorite destinations.

Norris

Good Monday morning to you Norris. So, I had a fairly lazy (for me) weekend this past weekend. Thanks to reading a lot from you, Librarylady and Miaminice, I started to get the itch really bad to look into a Celebrity cruise next year. They have one I am interested in the first week of April (on the Silhouette). We have been to all of the ports but I mainly want to be on this ship! I think what stopped me is my quandary over booking Aqua Class or just on a good old regular balcony, and MDR vs Blu, and other small perks that go along with this. I will have to dwell a lot more, but if I get an enticing email or snail mail from Celebrity it might sway me. I will be heading over to read your Emerald review soon. Have a wonderful week Norris!

Carol

Good Monday morning to you Norris. So, I had a fairly lazy (for me) weekend this past weekend. Thanks to reading a lot from you, Librarylady and Miaminice, I started to get the itch really bad to look into a Celebrity cruise next year. They have one I am interested in the first week of April (on the Silhouette). We have been to all of the ports but I mainly want to be on this ship! I think what stopped me is my quandary over booking Aqua Class or just on a good old regular balcony, and MDR vs Blu, and other small perks that go along with this. I will have to dwell a lot more, but if I get an enticing email or snail mail from Celebrity it might sway me. I will be heading over to read your Emerald review soon. Have a wonderful week Norris!

Carol

Hi Carol and thanks for the good wishes- I have a busy week ahead.

I'm glad you have read LibraryLady and Miaminice reviews. I had read them too before sailing on an S Class.

Yes this is an ideal ship if you are going to ports that you will only get off on for a few hours or not at all. It's a destination ship for me- so much to do and see and I didn't get close to experiencing all it has to offer.

Blu is very good for breakfast- I can't comment on lunch or dinner. I don't know what else Aqua Class gets you.

Yes please read my Emerald review- the excursions were fantastic. Leave a note there if you like it. It's buried on page 12 or somewhere by now but the link is in my signature below.

Enjoy and don't hesitate to book the Silhouette!

Norris

Hi and thanks for the compliments and for eating enough Wheeties to read the whole review!

18 days on the Solstice? WOW, that's a year of cruising for us right there.

Congrats on the Celebrity Suite, that's a great upgrade. A bargain price is good and hard to pass on. Where is it situated?

Say hello to Sedona for us-one of our favorite destinations.

Norris

The Solstice cruise was a once in a lifetime journey from Sydney to Hawaii via New Zealand and the Tahitian Islands.

The Celebrity Suites aboard Millennium are mid-ship starboard. And look like ... see thumbnail.

Said "Hi" to Sedona. No reply, perhaps napping.:D

Cheers!

Celebrity-Suite-floorplan-M.jpg.3ee5ad8b3cbf22b57b0c83160713a5b9.jpg

The Solstice cruise was a once in a lifetime journey from Sydney to Hawaii via New Zealand and the Tahitian Islands.

The Celebrity Suites aboard Millennium are mid-ship starboard. And look like ... see thumbnail.

Said "Hi" to Sedona. No reply, perhaps napping.:D

Cheers!

Thanks for the response-that was a lifetime journey indeed. You've hit parts of the world that I can only dream of for now.

Celebrity suite looks grand indeed.

Cheers,

Norris

Hi, I'm just popping back in with an update on our next X cruise.

We had booked our next cruise- Reflection to the Eastern Caribbean for January 21 2017.

Yesterday we switched that via a 20 minute phone call to Celebrity to a new itinerary- Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth and Labadee on January 14th.

All but Cozumel are new ports for Carol, Falmouth is new to me and GC and Labadee I haven't been to since 1986 and back then I didn't have a good camera.

We had to give up 7309 (S1 Port corner aft) but instead have 7358-the same S1 starboard.

So that will be my next X review as things stand now. We haven't booked a summer cruise this year as yet but are still considering....

Just an FYI

Norris

Glad to see they are going to Falmouth now. We did this cruise last year, on the Reflection, but it went into Ocho Rios which was awful! Liked the rest of the itinery though! Are you still on the refection? I believe it has an extra deck and is a little different up top. We will be on the Silouette this Sunday, so I will see which I prefer.

Edited by Buckcruise

Glad to see they are going to Falmouth now. We did this cruise last year, on the Reflection, but it went into Ocho Rios which was awful! Liked the rest of the itinery though! Are you still on the refection? I believe it has an extra deck and is a little different up top. We will be on the Silouette this Sunday, so I will see which I prefer.

Hi, yes we are on the Reflection. I haven't been in Ocho Rios since 1986 but it wasn't popular then with passengers as they got hassled to come into every basket shop in town. I used to just get a cab from the ship and go to the Sans Souci hotel where pestering wasn't an issue.

Yes, let us know re the Silhouette/Reflection. Is Montego Bay worth a visit do you know?

Have a great cruise!!

Norris

Hi, I'm just popping back in with an update on our next X cruise.

We had booked our next cruise- Reflection to the Eastern Caribbean for January 21 2017.

Yesterday we switched that via a 20 minute phone call to Celebrity to a new itinerary- Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth and Labadee on January 14th.

All but Cozumel are new ports for Carol, Falmouth is new to me and GC and Labadee I haven't been to since 1986 and back then I didn't have a good camera.

We had to give up 7309 (S1 Port corner aft) but instead have 7358-the same S1 starboard.

So that will be my next X review as things stand now. We haven't booked a summer cruise this year as yet but are still considering....

Just an FYI

Norris

Congratulations. I am sure you will enjoy whatever cruise you would pick. Were you able to keep your booking on board benefits? Particularly the pay the Big price and receive the Best?

Just curious do you find the Princess option for this same cruise more expensive when all the extras are factored in?

The Reflection has a few more passengers and a smaller Sky Lounge, but everything else is pretty much the Silhouette. We are cruising on the Reflection for a second time on the fall TA.

Enjoy.

Hi, yes we are on the Reflection. I haven't been in Ocho Rios since 1986 but it wasn't popular then with passengers as they got hassled to come into every basket shop in town. I used to just get a cab from the ship and go to the Sans Souci hotel where pestering wasn't an issue.

Yes, let us know re the Silhouette/Reflection. Is Montego Bay worth a visit do you know?

Have a great cruise!!

Norris

I am the wrong person to ask, as I am yet to step on Jamaican soil! There was nothing that appealed to me there. Hubby got off in Ocho Rios and walked into town!He was propositioned 3 times along the way and not for baskets!

Hi Norris,

I have really enjoyed your review. I'm in the research stage of a possible Celebrity cruise in the future. I have learned a lot from reading about your first experience.

I'm looking forward to reading your next Celebrity cruise review.

Congratulations. I am sure you will enjoy whatever cruise you would pick. Were you able to keep your booking on board benefits? Particularly the pay the Big price and receive the Best?

Just curious do you find the Princess option for this same cruise more expensive when all the extras are factored in?

The Reflection has a few more passengers and a smaller Sky Lounge, but everything else is pretty much the Silhouette. We are cruising on the Reflection for a second time on the fall TA.

Enjoy.

Yes, all 4 benefits -Comp Gratuities/Premium Bev Package/ Unlimited Internet and $550 OBC all transferred over.

Princess doesn't have that itinerary but the closest- 7 days on the Regal, the aft suite (bigger than an S1) was $300 more each, but without any Comps at all, and only $100 OBC (as we book suites) so it's more for less on X and we prefer the ship.

We are happy!

Norris

Yes, all 4 benefits -Comp Gratuities/Premium Bev Package/ Unlimited Internet and $550 OBC all transferred over.

Princess doesn't have that itinerary but the closest- 7 days on the Regal, the aft suite (bigger than an S1) was $300 more each, but without any Comps at all, and only $100 OBC (as we book suites) so it's more for less on X and we prefer the ship.

We are happy!

Norris

Glad to hear that you are both pleased.

Glad to hear that you are both pleased.

Thank you!

We feel good at having another choice in X as the Princess itineraries and ship choice didn't get us excited this time and saving money doesn't hurt. I'm sure we'll use the savings for excursions and Specialty meals (Murano! Qsine! LCG!)

The excursions are already available to us 10 months out so we can take our time to look into them.

Cheers!

Norris

Thank you!

We feel good at having another choice in X as the Princess itineraries and ship choice didn't get us excited this time and saving money doesn't hurt. I'm sure we'll use the savings for excursions and Specialty meals (Murano! Qsine! LCG!)

The excursions are already available to us 10 months out so we can take our time to look into them.

Cheers!

Norris

Norris, you did a great job on this thread and the comparison on the Princess thread. Very enjoyable and entertaining read. I have been on about 7 Princess cruise. Four of them were the R Class ships (because they did the French Polynesia cruises), one on the Emerald, and one on the Royal Princess. I enjoyed every one of them and I would not hesitate to cruise them again. But I still cruise mostly on Celebrity because I love the Solstice Class ships and the complete package. I do search out possibilities for Princess, but I just cannot see paying more. Unless it was a much better itinerary. Sort of the opposite of you.

Perhaps after a few more Celebrity cruises you might feel different.

By the way we are also from the Chicago area between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Picture is from our Maui whale watch this morning.

Mahalo

image.jpg.9092fce674d85af03528093010a703e2.jpg

Edited by jagoffee

Norris,

Its like this, the reason I am adding to this so late is that I started to read your comparison blog, a week ago, between X and Princess. So...I slap myself across the forehead and realize I'm going back asswards after getting up to 10 pages read.

So, I just finished reading your wonderful, amazing, beautiful, pictorial review of your cruise on Celebrity Silhouette. She is a beautiful ship indeed. Thank you.

As usual, you put forth a lot of time and effort and may I say, "Well done sir!".

Now I will go back to the comparison and finish that one.

I do have one question. How to people reach the items in the library that are on the top shelf??

Again, thank you :)

Edited by greenie082756
Add words

Norris, you did a great job on this thread and the comparison on the Princess thread. Very enjoyable and entertaining read. I have been on about 7 Princess cruise. Four of them were the R Class ships (because they did the French Polynesia cruises), one on the Emerald, and one on the Royal Princess. I enjoyed every one of them and I would not hesitate to cruise them again. But I still cruise mostly on Celebrity because I love the Solstice Class ships and the complete package. I do search out possibilities for Princess, but I just cannot see paying more. Unless it was a much better itinerary. Sort of the opposite of you.

Perhaps after a few more Celebrity cruises you might feel different.

By the way we are also from the Chicago area between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Picture is from our Maui whale watch this morning.

Mahalo

Nice whale shot!

We'll be taking the X cruises one at a time, as we did with Princess. There may come a time when we need a third option ( I pretty much guarantee we'll try another line). As it stands now I am happy we have a choice. You mentioned R class ships-we have sailed on Ocean Princess and enjoyed it although it would pale with a lot of sea days. An Azamara cruise with plenty of ports would be fine as long as we got a good overnight or two.

I don't get north of Chicago much-in fact I have only been to Milwaukee once -for a week on business. I liked that it became more civilized the further North I ventured.

Thanks for following not only the review but also the comparison which is winding down now. Tune in next January for the Reflection to the W Caribbean...

Cheers!

Norris

Norris,

Its like this, the reason I am adding to this so late is that I started to read your comparison blog, a week ago, between X and Princess. So...I slap myself across the forehead and realize I'm going back asswards after getting up to 10 pages read.

So, I just finished reading your wonderful, amazing, beautiful, pictorial review of your cruise on Celebrity Silhouette. She is a beautiful ship indeed. Thank you.

As usual, you put forth a lot of time and effort and may I say, "Well done sir!".

Now I will go back to the comparison and finish that one.

I do have one question. How to people reach the items in the library that are on the top shelf??

Again, thank you :)

I think the items on the top shelf are fake books, for display only.

Thank you for reading the Celebrity Silhouette review and the comparison, which is now finished. Your comments were very kind so thanks again!

Hope you join me in my next review!!

Cheers,

Norris

I loved your review and pictures and videos from beginning to end, but I gotta know, did your cat (Little Snowy?), miss you?

Any chance you will post a picture of her?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

Here is "Little" Snowy (she's about 12 lbs)

25110168824_2d623d5a0f_b.jpg

and in her basket...

25439792940_895443017f_b.jpg

Yes she missed us a lot- she underwent a personality change as she's normally stand-offish, but since we came home she has been seeking our company more.

She's a very quiet cat. All she asks is 10 square meals a day and her coat brushed first thing in the morning. Carol buys her lots of fun cat toys but she prefers a piece of string on the end of a stick. But then, who doesn't?

Cheers!

Norris