First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Norris, pleased to hear your good report of Lawn Club Grill, We embark Silhouette next week Western Med and have booked the 4 night package which includes LCG which we haven't experienced before.

I was a bit sceptical about an upsell for a barbeque and look forward to being proved wrong!

Still hooked on your current Alaska review on the Princess board and following it every morning with my breakfast sometime during your night time.

Sandra

Sandra, enjoy that LCG!! Have a lamb chop for sure.

I'm glad you are also reading the Princess Alaska review. Pop in and say hi!

Norris

Hi Norris,

Ok, I realize I'm really really late to the party, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and this thread over the last couple of days. I'm so excited about our upcoming 2016 holiday cruise on the Silhouette.

Thanks again and I'll check out your other reviews.

Ms DrRx

I did two Carnival Cruises as a passenger and immediately felt I had taken a step down in service and friendliness.

They have some ugly ships still afloat. My interest in sailing on Carnival is so minute it could not be seen even with the use of the Hubble telescope.

Norris,

Just came on board followed a link to your post from someone else recommending your review. I love your writing style, and your humour, must be a British thing !

I understand what you are saying about Carnival, but we have had some great cruises with them, especially recently when we have been sailing the Med on their new ships, even did a couple of inaugurals. Before you know where you are you are getting past guest perks and hey presto you're Platinum.

We have just come back from the Vista in the Med where we sailed with a large group who we had met on other ships, probably one of the reasons we booked that cruise.

We decided a couple of years ago it was time for a change and sailed on the Equinox which we enjoyed so much we booked another Celebrity cruise while onboard.

Loving your review and looking forward to reading your Princess reviews as well. Like you say , research research:)

Edited by bluwes

Hi Norris,

Ok, I realize I'm really really late to the party, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and this thread over the last couple of days. I'm so excited about our upcoming 2016 holiday cruise on the Silhouette.

Thanks again and I'll check out your other reviews.

Ms DrRx

Ms DrRx, I'm glad you found the review enjoyable and thanks for saying so!

You will love the Silhouette-who doesn't?

The other reviews are all Princess and there's an Alaska one in progress.

Pop on over and say Hi.

Cheers,

Norris

Norris,

Just came on board followed a link to your post from someone else recommending your review. I love your writing style, and your humour, must be a British thing !

I understand what you are saying about Carnival, but we have had some great cruises with them, especially recently when we have been sailing the Med on their new ships, even did a couple of inaugurals. Before you know where you are you are getting past guest perks and hey presto you're Platinum.

We have just come back from the Vista in the Med where we sailed with a large group who we had met on other ships, probably one of the reasons we booked that cruise.

We decided a couple of years ago it was time for a change and sailed on the Equinox which we enjoyed so much we booked another Celebrity cruise while onboard.

Loving your review and looking forward to reading your Princess reviews as well. Like you say , research research:)

Hi and thanks for the comments and compliments!

My two Carnival cruises were in 1990 and 92 (I think) so a long time ago.

I didn't cruise again until 2011 and found Princess which was a good fit.

The new Carnival ships don't suffer from Joe Farcus' dark and crazy ugly

interiors but I have little interest in ships with waterparks. You'll see that all the ships I've sailed are plain in comparison-built for relaxation moreso than Fun.

I read Carnival reviews and people have a good time no doubt. I'm just not drawn to their ships but they will survive nicely without me. The food and the entertainment were very good way back in the early nineties, I'll give them that.

Yes please pop over to the Princess board as I am in the middle of an Alaskan review with lots of photos.

Cheers!

Norris

Hi Norris,

You have given me some nice hours of entertainment and information! Silhouette looks like an amazing ship - can't wait for April.

That she is.

I'm glad you took the time to read my account of our cruise on this stellar ship.

You'll be blown away too.

Norris

Norris, I also just found this thread from a link on another. I've finished reading page 1 and this last page and hope I'll finish the middle 58 or so by the time I board Silhouette on Dec. 18th.

Thank you for this wonderful gift, called your review, to the Cruise Critic community. It's people like you who make this such a great place.

--May

Norris, I also just found this thread from a link on another. I've finished reading page 1 and this last page and hope I'll finish the middle 58 or so by the time I board Silhouette on Dec. 18th.

Thank you for this wonderful gift, called your review, to the Cruise Critic community. It's people like you who make this such a great place.

--May

May, thank you for your kind comments!

Keep reading! I know it's long...

Cheers,

Norris

Hi Norris,

I just found your report and really enjoyed it. It has been my after work treat for the last week! We are going on the Silhouette in Feb with old friends and we are all so excited. This is our 3rd X cruise. I have a question about the coves up top. Is there room for a "sun" person to sit outside the shade?

Aren't you on a cruise now? Have fun and thanks so much for all your hard work!

Kathy

Hi Norris,

Just finished your review of Silly. Have also ventured to your other reviews in Europe. Your pictures and writing are delightful! We are boarding Silly in Rome on October 22 which includes Israel and Malta (new ports for us) and staying on Silly for the TA to Fort Lauderdale.

Just found your blog so will start on your driving trips also. You are amazing! Thank you!

Susan

Hi Norris,

I just found your report and really enjoyed it. It has been my after work treat for the last week! We are going on the Silhouette in Feb with old friends and we are all so excited. This is our 3rd X cruise. I have a question about the coves up top. Is there room for a "sun" person to sit outside the shade?

Aren't you on a cruise now? Have fun and thanks so much for all your hard work!

Kathy

kay, I'm glad you stumbled upon my review. It was front page for 4 weeks but that was way back in February.

A sun person? We didn't put the shade up but it wasn't super sunny then. A sun lover would have to sit on the grass outside I guess as you can't put furniture on the grass. There are comfy hammocks nearby but conversation would have to be loud which wouldn't be good for the quiet seekers like us. Maybe they could sit in the shade for an hour and chat? or snooze?

I was on a cruise two weeks ago and am writing an epic on it over on the Princess Board. I was on the Star Princess so check it out if you have time.

Thanks for reading my stuff!

Norris

Hi Norris,

Just finished your review of Silly. Have also ventured to your other reviews in Europe. Your pictures and writing are delightful! We are boarding Silly in Rome on October 22 which includes Israel and Malta (new ports for us) and staying on Silly for the TA to Fort Lauderdale.

Just found your blog so will start on your driving trips also. You are amazing! Thank you!

Susan

Susan, thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you took the time to read it,

I envy you your upcoming cruise and TA on that excellent ship. I can dream.

The blog begins with a trip to Germany (one of many).

Bon Voyage!!

Norris

• 2 weeks later...
While it is the last day Nancy I, of course, can't write it in one day. I took so many photos that day in an "It's now or never" frame of mind.

I've been writing this since January 25th the day I got back from the cruise...17 days so far. I've written about 400 posts-over 20 a day average. The Emerald review took 42 days and I stopped that one early as you know.

There have been people who may have looked at the length of this and ran for the hills. But I'm not writing it for those who like a short read -"We had a good cruise but my DH didn't like the food and I found the service lacking. We enjoyed all the ports" That's a review but it doesn't tell me much or explain what was wrong with the food or service. I would never buy a book that had only one page.

I digress. Here comes more stuff...

Norris

I've been wondering if the Silhouette sailing YOU enjoyed was also the one that Mr. B. and I enjoyed. And now, lo and behold, the answer is ... YES. January 17th, 2016, eastern Caribbean. For heaven's sake! I sure wish I'd met you onboard.

I knew all the entertainment plus the captain appeared the same. Did you like that Jayne told about her long commute to come onboard? But you know what? I don't remember arriving early into San Juan! I guess for me it just balanced out from the previous year when we skipped San Juan altogether (late departure from Miami and very unfavorable winds).

Anyway, I wonder if Mr. B. is in your photo at the gym. He often is on a treadmill, early a.m. I'll have to look again.

Ok, now to finish up. I'm loving this, and have steadfastly resisted going to the comparison thread, yet. I'm saving that for after I finish the next 19 (yikes) pages of this thread! So far, I've been reading for 12 days. Not non-stop, of course.

Thank you, Norris, for this outstanding review.

Edited by May B

I've been wondering if the Silhouette sailing YOU enjoyed was also the one that Mr. B. and I enjoyed. And now, lo and behold, the answer is ... YES. January 17th, 2016, eastern Caribbean. For heaven's sake! I sure wish I'd met you onboard.

I knew all the entertainment plus the captain appeared the same. Did you like that Jayne told about her long commute to come onboard? But you know what? I don't remember arriving early into San Juan! I guess for me it just balanced out from the previous year when we skipped San Juan altogether (late departure from Miami and very unfavorable winds).

Anyway, I wonder if Mr. B. is in your photo at the gym. He often is on a treadmill, early a.m. I'll have to look again.

Ok, now to finish up. I'm loving this, and have steadfastly resisted going to the comparison thread, yet. I'm saving that for after I finish the next 19 (yikes) pages of this thread! So far, I've been reading for 12 days. Not non-stop, of course.

Thank you, Norris, for this outstanding review.

Thanks May and enjoy those last 19 pages!

You must have seen me as I trudged the decks taking photos of vases and stairwells. I was the only one I saw with a bag of cameras. I did hang out on the lawn much of the time, I will say.

I hope you'll pop in and say Hi when I write the Reflection review in January.

Cheers!

Norris

Norris, I'm still here! Another great job on the review and photos, but are you so serious all the time? :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to the comparison of X and Princess. Everything on X looked pretty good - until you got to the MDR dinner. Since we mostly do the MDR, with only one or two specialty dinners, the MDR dinners are very important to us.

Thanks, again,

Howard

My own experience has been excellent in the MDR of our Celebrity cruises, and in fact, we've had four extremely disappointing specialty dinners on two Celebrity ships and one HAL.

The MDR might be a tad better with fixed dining, than the walk-up situation (as well as the last night of a cruise). For Norris's dinner, I might've gotten up to find a maitre'd -- and especially for the women next to him, I would've.

Edited by May B

My own experience has been excellent in the MDR of our Celebrity cruises, and in fact, we've had four extremely disappointing specialty dinners on two Celebrity ships and one HAL.

The MDR might be a tad better with fixed dining, than the walk-up situation (as well as the last night of a cruise). For Norris's dinner, I might've gotten up to find a maitre'd -- and especially for the women next to him, I would've.

May, I felt bad for the two ladies who left disgruntled and I gave the waiter a hard time for his team's lack of service towards them when he asked us to give him a 10 on the survey. I wasn't angry with them, just surprised that they didn't seem to be bothered by their failure to do their job. I didn't want to summon a Maitre 'd and make a fuss on someone else's behalf. It would have brought our dining experience to a halt.

I'll be trying the MDR on Reflection.

Cheers!

Norris

I agree, Norris, I didn't think you should get up to come to the aid of the women; had I been one of the woman, I myself would have gone to summon somebody to rectify, at least somewhat the situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have now, 18 days later arrived at the final page. It was so much fun!

I really don't recall seeing you, with your camera bag. Perhaps our paths never crossed!

With all that equipment, I was pleasantly surprised that it's only seven lbs. Otoh, we were just at Hyde Park and there's a display to show us what ten lbs. of braces would've been, to "carry around" as FDR did. It felt heavier than I would've expected, which is no doubt why they have the display.

Next up, I look forward to reading your other things, Norris, starting with the Princess vs. Celebrity. And yes, I definitely look forward to your Reflection voyage report.

Keep enjoying, and thank you so much for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks May and enjoy those last 19 pages!

You must have seen me as I trudged the decks taking photos of vases and stairwells. I was the only one I saw with a bag of cameras. I did hang out on the lawn much of the time, I will say.

I hope you'll pop in and say Hi when I write the Reflection review in January.

Cheers!

Norris

We'll be back on the Eclipse this Jan. Due to scheduling mishaps we booked a B2B on the Regal last Feb. I think you saw my reviews. Overall the ship was nice..Some dislikes bath towels/no central stairscase/relatively small theater/no "seaview" forward lounge. Overall I'd do Princess again,EXCEPT Super bowl week(just truly trashy pax that first week!)I'm looking at the Caribbean Princess "true" 14 day cruise in 2018. You've done this ship..your thoughts?

We'll be back on the Eclipse this Jan. Due to scheduling mishaps we booked a B2B on the Regal last Feb. I think you saw my reviews. Overall the ship was nice..Some dislikes bath towels/no central stairscase/relatively small theater/no "seaview" forward lounge. Overall I'd do Princess again,EXCEPT Super bowl week(just truly trashy pax that first week!)I'm looking at the Caribbean Princess "true" 14 day cruise in 2018. You've done this ship..your thoughts?

Keith, I have a Caribbean Princess review and without reading it to make sure, I can't remember one negative about it. Oh we were late boarding and sailing due to the ship arriving back in Houston in fog and she was scrubbed down for Norovirus. We boarded 5 hours late.

She doesn't sail from Houston anymore so that won't figure.

I haven't sailed the Royal or Regal as there are things I don't like about the designs. You've already mentioned some of them.

I'd happily sail the CB again.

Norris

I know I am way late to the party here, but awesome review, loved every minute of it and has us hyped for our Reflection Cruise next week! Awesome job and thanks for all the effort I know these take!

Thanks seadog! I'm glad you liked the review. Thanks for the compliments!

Enjoy the Reflection. I'll be on her Jan 14th so pop in and say hi when I write my review.

Bon Voyage!

Norris

Keith, I have a Caribbean Princess review and without reading it to make sure, I can't remember one negative about it. Oh we were late boarding and sailing due to the ship arriving back in Houston in fog and she was scrubbed down for Norovirus. We boarded 5 hours late.

She doesn't sail from Houston anymore so that won't figure.

I haven't sailed the Royal or Regal as there are things I don't like about the designs. You've already mentioned some of them.

I'd happily sail the CB again.

Norris

The lack of central staircase(huge log jams at dinner)Surprisingly small main theater & No forward lounge really are a big downside for us on the Regal. No "wow" factor in any dining room. Crappy bath towels. Other than that, its a gorgeous ship inside.

The lack of central staircase(huge log jams at dinner)Surprisingly small main theater & No forward lounge really are a big downside for us on the Regal. No "wow" factor in any dining room. Crappy bath towels. Other than that, its a gorgeous ship inside.

Keith, I certainly agree on the stunning interior design. I spend most of my day from 5 am until dark outside and the Royal class doesn't thrill me there with it's tiny uncovered promenade decks, small balconies and the crappy pool deck with the goofy water fountains. No you can't see forwards. The theater is too small.

I may sail on the Royal Class at some point but in an aft corner suite where the balconies are big and wrap around. At this time though it's not on my radar when there are better alternatives.

Cheers!

Norris