Article About Renewing Passports Early

Keith1010

It's always important to make sure your passport is current and to be aware of current processing times if you need to renew it. I don't know how many of those passports initially issued will end up being renewed because a lot of people panicked before the final regulations came out when the rumor mill was saying passports for everyone. Then the exceptions were published and it isn't passports for everyone (plus they have developed passport cards and EDLs that fit the needs of some travelers).

We have had to renew our passports several times.

We never wait till the last couple of months to renew them. We have sent them in sometimes 9 months in advance just because of the cruise dates we have chosen.

Sometimes I wish the US would do like other countries do and tack the unused time onto your new passport, so if you renewed 9 months early you would receive a passport good for 10 years and 9 months.

Dh and I were just talking about this. Our cruise in next April and may 2017 and our passports expire in August 2017. We are sending them in this fall. just to be on the safe side! Since we are traveling to Europe, including Russia we want good passports.

It's amazing how fast the expiration comes!!

Thanks for the reminder.

It's always a good idea to renew at least 9 months in advance - picking a time when you are pretty sure you will not need it - so you will always have more than six months life on it if a need should come up.

I will let my travel needs dictate when I renew, not the expiration date of the passport (so if I have no travel scheduled I won't renew until I do). Of course if someone has a need to have a valid passport at all times then it is a good idea to renew early.

Here is something most people don't realize - that could cause you to need to get a new passport BEFORE it expires and I learned this the hard way. We all change as we age - a passport picture is proof of that - and if the changes would make an official have to do a double or triple take to determine if that photo is really you - then you should get a new picture and a new passport.

Years ago I was flying El Al to Israel and my passport was a few years before it's expiration date - but I had changed from the young woman I was when that photo was taken. :o I had changed hairstyles from very long to short, changed from very light blond to darker, had gained a few pounds and as we were on a long flight I had glasses on and not contacts. El Al IS VERY CAREFUL with security (understandably) and while I made it through the initial checkin with the airline, made it through regular security with both of those checking my passport when they called us to board the plane - the gate agent was again checking passports - and that is where I ran into big trouble. :(

My church group and my elderly Mother were swept along with the crowd of people while the agents held me back - because "this doesn't look like you". It was humiliating and frightening to have to try to prove who I was. Lesson learned! They did finally let me on that plane but I now know that if you have changed much since that photo was taken - you need to replace your passport.

Here is something most people don't realize - that could cause you to need to get a new passport BEFORE it expires and I learned this the hard way. We all change as we age - a passport picture is proof of that - and if the changes would make an official have to do a double or triple take to determine if that photo is really you - then you should get a new picture and a new passport.

Years ago I was flying El Al to Israel and my passport was a few years before it's expiration date - but I had changed from the young woman I was when that photo was taken. :o I had changed hairstyles from very long to short, changed from very light blond to darker, had gained a few pounds and as we were on a long flight I had glasses on and not contacts. El Al IS VERY CAREFUL with security (understandably) and while I made it through the initial checkin with the airline, made it through regular security with both of those checking my passport when they called us to board the plane - the gate agent was again checking passports - and that is where I ran into big trouble. :(

My church group and my elderly Mother were swept along with the crowd of people while the agents held me back - because "this doesn't look like you". It was humiliating and frightening to have to try to prove who I was. Lesson learned! They did finally let me on that plane but I now know that if you have changed much since that photo was taken - you need to replace your passport.

You should remember the adage:

IF YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR PASSPORT PICTURE, YOU ARE NOT WELL ENOUGH TO TRAVEL.