My experience on the lost & found service from RCCL

Chardz

Hi Guys,

Writing this post, in sadness and unhappiness. Felt that i am being treated not fairly. Let me ask some advise from you all on this.

I experience the worst customer service from RCCL for my experience in lost & found (or should i not put lost & found).

I was on the RCCL mariener of the seas on this Jan,8 2016 - Jan,11 2016. The experience when i was in the ship was good, nothing to complain about.

But start after i left the ship and back to my home, realised that i forgotten to take my things (diamond ring, wedding ring and a watch). I left it inside the locker of my stateroom, and its open i can certainly assure that because i took my wallet out in the morning before checking out, and dumb me forgotten to take the rest of the things out. (Still hurts and blaming myself when i remember this).

Story goes on,

After i reach home 1-2 hours after i left the ship, **** realise i forgotten my things, called the hotline deseparetly seeking for help, or just an access to the ship to take the things and settle this mistake of mine. Called and was told that the company policy, doesnt allow us to enter back the ship after we left. Ok.. Dont want to make a hard time for the cs, was than advise to emails.

Dumb dumb me to believe them, i listen and just emailed them. Hoping there's good soul around, which i believe there is but not around me :( Called them again hoping to speak with a 2nd listener and help me on this, again failed and told to email. Ok than blah blah, emailed the details and etc etc.. I requested for a contact number to the ship directly so that at least they can do something about it. Gave me a number, key in the cc details (take note you have to pay a 7bucks from your cc to call a 1min to the ship). After all these, cant get through the phone. Okay tried again and again and its not successful. Called back the hotline and again was advise to emailed them. Email is a usefull communication if you reply them right away, but do you understand the situation of a desperate customer who needs to get an answer immediately and not just waiting :(

After few days, never recevied a reply from them (in the email was told they will reply within 21 days however another email told me within 5 days.) Few days pass and fearing that they cant find the things before the next passenger abord the ship to the stateroom where i was staying, i decided to make a trip to the headquarter. This is actually advise by the cs from the call centre after calling them again and again for update. And there is not even a direct line to the headquater to seek help, have to go down and talk to them personally.

After a few calls, found out that the cs from the call centre is not even located in Singapore, but outside Singapore. Went down to hq and again same thing please email the lost & found relevant department. Damn, this is not even lost and found, its just i need a permission to get access / in touch with someone on the ship to get my things back on a place where i can assure where i have put them.

Ok here comes the most dissapointing part, so after few days, sorry almost coming to 1 month. Predicting from the sailing date, it should have almost 3 different customers in and out already. Called the cs almost everyday, and same **** different day. CS was told that 1) they are still trying to contact the ship releavant department 2) trying to find my things the lost & found department to see if they can find the things (as supposed that every items left in the stateroom will be put inside the lost & found bins). I hate myself that i trusted on their unkept promise and rubbish, they cant contact the ship wherelese myself not from RCCL can even easily contact the ship directly, trust me dumbness to believe them and just wait patiently, arggghhh !!!

The first customer relations, promising to call and update almost 3-5times empty promises, but end of the day nothing as really NOTHING has been done their promise to update. Few times, I have even heard " give me 2 hours i will get back to you " even if the CS is on the other planet, it wont be a 2 days different between CS and the countey i am in. After 2 days of no reponse back. I have enough and call them almost every hour, speaking to each CS who picked up my phone my bad experience.

Lastly, the upper position of the CS called me, another guy who cant be trusted with words. Was told that they cant find the things, have interviewed the stateroom attendant, and etc etc bla bla bla. Have done their best bla bla, am very sorry bla bla. Check the camera and etc bla bla for the last person who enters and leave the room. And my things really cannot be found. Halo, it has been 20++ days, if on that day itself the CS really take serious action, it could have easily solve this matter. Told the CS i request to speak to the stateroom attendant myself and hope to get at least a positive answer, again got rejected due to company policy. Fantastic job CS of RCCL, imagine you left your things inside the room, and just seeking a help on the day you realised it, for just someone to enter the room and take the things and keep it, simple and its settled no hassle.

Best part, ok since i am already dissapointed with the CS their words seems like kids who cant keep their promise to me, i decided to call the ship directly. Again a freaking 7 bucks for each 1min (not included those automated voice and please wait while we transfer the call ****) and try my luck if someone actually pity me and allowing me to speak with the supervisor & stateroom attendant.

Finally, someone from the ship itself actually knows my desepartion and forward me to the relevant people in charge. Guess what, after 20++ days seeking for help, i was told this.

"Sir we actually just got your message TODAY, that items is lost in the stateroom"... *** !! After 20 days i keep asking your CS for help, and the CS just advise the ship today? Halo RCCL CS, you guys think that i am a kid who you can just make up a story and hoping that i can give up the things and let this matter?

I am trully trully very very DISSAPOINTED and going crazy on how will a multi national company, giving the best service experience from the cruise employers INSIDE the ships and giving the WORST, ***, ****TY service from the CS outside the ship.

Guys, i do hope to get a few advise on my story and what can i do to get back my things?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

After a few calls, found out that the cs from the call centre is not even located in Singapore, but outside Singapore. Went down to hq and again same thing please email the lost & found relevant department. Damn, this is not even lost and found, its just i need a permission to get access / in touch with someone on the ship to get my things back on a place where i can assure where i have put them.

Thanks.

What number did you call for the customer service call center?

First post??

Every company has a clause that they are not responsible for left items, from restaurants, to hotels, to cruise ships

I really do feel for you.

Here is information on RCCL's website to contact them for lost items

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=339&faqSubjectName=Going+Home&faqId=2609

or https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/contactUsOnline.do

sometimes it takes a while for lost and found to even get the item if they find it

if the ship is sailing it won't make it back to shore lost and found until the ship is back at its home port then it goes through paperwork progress, etc so it can take even up to a month

We have lost / forgotten things before, some we have gotten back some we haven't but in almost all cases it took over a month to even get an answer either way. Now each of us in the room goes through everything in case one of us forgets something the other person finds it

Unfortunately safe contents are only inventoried and recorded when the safe must be opened by security. In your situation the open safe could have been accessed by the cabin attendant, anyone who helped clean the room, room service personnel bringing gift preferences for the next guest or the next guest.

I would recommend contacting the director of guest services for Royal, Celebrity and Azamara. She is usually very responsive and can get results when requests otherwise fall on deaf ears. Her email is ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com. Good luck.

Edited by Royal2464

There is still hope the things will turn up. There are a lot of procedures they have to go thru and usually the items get sent to the home office before you would get them back.

You have made your claim and now I am afraid you are going to have to just wait.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sadly, your story sounds similar to one that I was happy to solve a year or two ago.

When I entered my room, I notice the safe was still locked. I called to have it unlocked. A non-English speaking man opened the safe and handed me the contents. I tried to tell him that the contents were not mine. He didn't understand and made me take the items.

I inventoried the items and documented each in preparation of turning them over to guest services, along with my complaint about the engineer handing me the items.

While documenting, I found a business card. I called the person. He was astonished to hear from me. He said that he cruised several weeks ago and has been calling RCCL ever since. They assured him that they had searched the room and found nothing. I told him that I had all of his stuff and that I was going to turn it all over to guest services.

I requested to speak to a manager at guest services and they sat with me to inventory the stuff. They told me that the suite attendant is supposed to clear the contents after each cruise. This obviously was not occurring.

I wish that I had kept the victims name so that I could have contacted him later to see if he ever got his stuff back. I am now starting to think that I should have kept the stuff and mailed it to him myself.

The bottom line is we have to look out for ourselves and clear the safe as part of our departing checklist. Then we have to hope that the next guest is a good person and will report anything that we missed. Last, but not least, we have to depend on the vendor with which we trusted our lives and thousands of dollars to do the right thing, no matter how busy they are. The Customer is #1.

Unfortunately this is similar to most lost and found stories here over the years. Sorry it had to be what are probably valuable items. Occasionally people report getting things back, but it seems from reports here that is the exception.:( As someone else said, maybe there's still hope.

We never leave a hotel or ship room without THOROUGHLY checking the safe, more than once. After all it's where valuables are stored and those are the last things one wants to leave behind. I not only look in it but physically run my hand around the edges and corners.

Edited by bouhunter

Unfortunately this is similar to most lost and found stories here over the years. Occasionally people get things back, but it seems from reports here that is the exception.:(

I left a pair of eyeglasses once. Not a big deal but just for grins I followed up with phone calls and emails to see what would happen. Never a response or any help whatsoever from RCCL it was clear they could have cared less.

I also left a pair of prescription eyeglasses on board last September. They took my report over the phone and told me someone would get back to me. About a week later they called and said they did an extensive search, but came up with nothing.

I also left a pair of prescription eyeglasses on board last September. They took my report over the phone and told me someone would get back to me. About a week later they called and said they did an extensive search, but came up with nothing.

Chardz, I am sorry for your loss of both sentimental and valuable items, and hope that you will eventually receive your items. Clarea, I also left my prescription sunglasses somewhere during a Holland America cruise- changing between regular glasses and my sunglasses. Fortunately only two days remained of the cruise, as there was no sign of them. Unbelievably, FIVE MONTHS later I received a package at work from HAL containing my glasses! I had placed my business card in the glasses case, and I have no idea where they were for five months, but it was great to get them back.

Chardz, I am sorry for your loss of both sentimental and valuable items, and hope that you will eventually receive your items. Clarea, I also left my prescription sunglasses somewhere during a Holland America cruise- changing between regular glasses and my sunglasses. Fortunately only two days remained of the cruise, as there was no sign of them. Unbelievably, FIVE MONTHS later I received a package at work from HAL containing my glasses! I had placed my business card in the glasses case, and I have no idea where they were for five months, but it was great to get them back.

Great story! You've convinced me to leave a card in my glasses cases.:)

Edited by clarea

Great story! You've convinced me to leave a card in my glasses cases.:)

Definitely helps! My DH was leaving on a business trip and I asked him to place his card in the glasses case, which he hadn't done yet. I managed to get one in there before he flew off, and wouldn't you know- he lost the glasses! And didn't they show up in the mail, by some anonymous kind soul, within the week! (Be sure to tape your card inside the case, so it doesn't have a chance to fall out). :)

Edited by jmf123

I'm so sorry this has happened. Yes you should have checked, which you already acknowledged, but it's such a easy thing to happen especially on the last day when there is so much activity going on.

I too have had a lot of difficulty with the customer service reps in the call centre, which is in Guatemala. I would be unhappy that the messages had not been passed on and I encourage you to contact head office. With things like this there is obviously a much better chance of recovering items if action is taken immediately, not weeks later! The email someone posted above would be a good start or otherwise Michael Bayley's email has been posted on cruise critic in the past.

Good luck! I really hope you're able to get your items back.

I don't know if homeowners insurance us offered where you live, but if you have it you should file a claim. I'm sorry to say that the chance of getting your things back are slim to none. Too easy for a finder to convert them to money.

It's a terribly hard lesson to learn, and most of us has lost things that meant a lot to us.

Just remember they really are only things, and you can go on without them.

After saying all of that, I hope you will be one of the lucky ones. Pursue every means you can. If you have a travel agent, they can go to their Royal representative.

Good luck.

Fortunately we've never left anything behind in the safe (knock on wood) but I read a tip on the CC forums not too long ago that I will be implementing on future cruises - everything in the safe goes into a waterproof bag. There are two reasons for this: (1) for just this reason - little things getting lost in the dark corners of the safe; and (2) in case of an emergency and we need to exit the ship in a hurry (especially in the middle of the night), the important stuff (wallets, passports, medication, etc.) is in the safe and all together in one waterproof bag - grab it and go.

It's really amazing how easily things get "lost" in a safe. I was halfway through my cruise, going into and out of the safe for my secondary phone (work phone), when all of a sudden I felt something unusual. Found somebody's gold bangle bracelet - was rather heavy too and certainly big enough! Brought to guest services.

I always felt all over before I left, but it was eye opening to see how easy it was to miss something as I was in and out for days before I felt/saw it!

It's really amazing how easily things get "lost" in a safe. I was halfway through my cruise, going into and out of the safe for my secondary phone (work phone), when all of a sudden I felt something unusual. Found somebody's gold bangle bracelet - was rather heavy too and certainly big enough! Brought to guest services.

I always felt all over before I left, but it was eye opening to see how easy it was to miss something as I was in and out for days before I felt/saw it!

I agree, it's easy for small items to slip under the pad on the bottom of the safe.

First post??

Every company has a clause that they are not responsible for left items, from restaurants, to hotels, to cruise ships

I really do feel for you.

Here is information on RCCL's website to contact them for lost items

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=339&faqSubjectName=Going+Home&faqId=2609

or https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/contactUsOnline.do

sometimes it takes a while for lost and found to even get the item if they find it

if the ship is sailing it won't make it back to shore lost and found until the ship is back at its home port then it goes through paperwork progress, etc so it can take even up to a month

We have lost / forgotten things before, some we have gotten back some we haven't but in almost all cases it took over a month to even get an answer either way. Now each of us in the room goes through everything in case one of us forgets something the other person finds it

I can understand that if you take month and you really did what you could do. Imagine after almost 1 month, the CS actually told me "sorry and etc.. did their best and etc.."

But when i got so unhappy and decided why not call the stateroom attendant from the ship myself and get this matter settled. Was told that after 20++ days of asking for help, they only did sent the request for help after 20++ days later. And during the 1 - 19 days they (THE CS) can even tell me all story that they did their best.

Unfortunately safe contents are only inventoried and recorded when the safe must be opened by security. In your situation the open safe could have been accessed by the cabin attendant, anyone who helped clean the room, room service personnel bringing gift preferences for the next guest or the next guest.

I would recommend contacting the director of guest services for Royal, Celebrity and Azamara. She is usually very responsive and can get results when requests otherwise fall on deaf ears. Her email is ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com. Good luck.

Thanks alot, already dropped an email to her.

Hope she really help me on this matter.

Thanks.

Unfortunately this is similar to most lost and found stories here over the years. Sorry it had to be what are probably valuable items. Occasionally people report getting things back, but it seems from reports here that is the exception.:( As someone else said, maybe there's still hope.

We never leave a hotel or ship room without THOROUGHLY checking the safe, more than once. After all it's where valuables are stored and those are the last things one wants to leave behind. I not only look in it but physically run my hand around the edges and corners.

It's be more acceptable if its lost & found. But i don't think mine is lost and found, its like i forgotten to take things from the stateroom safebox, requested for help to seek someone to help me take it back from the safebox (not more than 1 hour after i left the ship). But they make it so complicated and the hotline are full of sales person (i think) but no the CS side. They are more interested in closing deals than helping customers for assistance, especially after you left the ship.

I'm so sorry this has happened. Yes you should have checked, which you already acknowledged, but it's such a easy thing to happen especially on the last day when there is so much activity going on.

I too have had a lot of difficulty with the customer service reps in the call centre, which is in Guatemala. I would be unhappy that the messages had not been passed on and I encourage you to contact head office. With things like this there is obviously a much better chance of recovering items if action is taken immediately, not weeks later! The email someone posted above would be a good start or otherwise Michael Bayley's email has been posted on cruise critic in the past.

Good luck! I really hope you're able to get your items back.

Hi, tried to go down to the HQ already. Just a note for those who actually have similar case like me.

I would recommend you really really, not to call the CS in Guatemala, go down to your HQ at your country and seek for help seriously. I have trusted them so much, and didn't went down to the HQ and only did this yesterday :( after weeks. The HQ side are much more helpful in dealing with customers like me, not the CS side. Talk sweet no actions.

And if you anyone has called the CS in Guatemala before, they will ask you to email and reply only 3 days later, and after the reply they will promised to get back to you in hours but you will have to wait patiently till they get back to you in few days (that if you are lucky) otherwise please call them again.

A note to remember for all,

1) Anything you need help, go down to HQ.

2) Dont waste time calling the CS at Guatemala, they will only say they understand my situtation and willing to help asap. All a bull and a donkey..

I pray for you to get your things back.

Anybody with any sort of conscience would make steps to hand stuff in to the Police. If a person has thought "finders keepers", I wish bad luck on them. In fact, keeping something you have "found" is recognised legally as theft I believe.

Don't get me wrong - if I saw a picture of a dead president I would swoop down like an eagle on it! but if there is any way something can be identified then I wouldn't rest until I had found its owner. The only thing I would leave with any sort of Customer Services gang would be MY details.

Thanks alot, already dropped an email to her.

Hope she really help me on this matter.

Thanks.

Chardz, sorry for your loss! Where are you from? You left your jewelry in the Cabin Safe not a "Locker"! Maybe CS thought you had gone to the fitness center

and left your jewelry in the gym lockers! Your new to CC, but in the future,

call the cruise lines emergency number! At this point, I hope you had insurance and/or Homeowners insurance to cover your losses!

• 5 months later...

Just want to update you guys if there's anyone who actually face the same situation as me.

If you guys have actually left anything on the ship, please please.. on that very day try your best to get an answer !! No matter how many phone calls you made and etc.. Please do it yourself and not trusting the CS of royal carribean. Trust me they won't do anything (from my own experience).

After 6 months, i am like being pushed here and there by the CS, and till today.. Nothing has been done.

They speak well, they promised your well, and they just have their way to push the blame here and there!