SHARE....one more time....

laughing husky

It helps to remember that the Curtis Stone arrangement has three separate parts: SHARE, the restaurant, MDR Always Available dishes, and the promised Curtis Stone Chef's table. It doesn't seem a stretch to me to think that someone who had a Stone dish in the MDR he didn't like would then object to eating in SHARE. Have any of you who enjoyed SHARE also had some of the MDR selections?

I did try the chicken SHARE entree in the MDR one night. The accompaniment was great...Quinoe and beets.....The chicken was horrible....it was tasteless, dry and mostly unpalatable....The chef is aware of it.....we spoke to him, and I suspect that it will be replaced....at least hopefully for it certainly gives the restaurant a bad rep.....

I did try the chicken SHARE entree in the MDR one night. The accompaniment was great...Quinoe and beets.....The chicken was horrible....it was tasteless, dry and mostly unpalatable....The chef is aware of it.....we spoke to him, and I suspect that it will be replaced....at least hopefully for it certainly gives the restaurant a bad rep.....

Thanks for the report. Since I'm the President of the We Hate Beets anti-fan club, I guess I won't be trying that one, but I might give the flank steak a try when I'm on the Diamond next month. (If it's there.) I don't think Princess thought this through very carefully (big shock!) when they replaced much-loved Always Available dishes with the Stone selections. I suppose the idea was to get people so excited about the MDR Stone dishes that they would run to SHARE for more. However, replacing simple dishes like salmon or beef medallions (which are not really jazzed up at all) with exotic items like curried plantains and pork belly is not going to make the fans of simple food happy. Unhappy patrons are going to take it out on Curtis Stone and his restaurant. From reports recently coming off the Coral, it sounds like the big scheme to promote SHARE isn't going so well (since they have scraped the idea on at least this one ship.) I don't see any SHARE carrying ships in my future, so I don't think I'll ever have the chance to turn it down, but the price tag alone would be reason enough for me. We'll see how it all plays out eventually, I guess.

From reports recently coming off the Coral, it sounds like the big scheme to promote SHARE isn't going so well (since they have scraped the idea on at least this one ship.) I don't see any SHARE carrying ships in my future, so I don't think I'll ever have the chance to turn it down, but the price tag alone would be reason enough for me. We'll see how it all plays out eventually, I guess.

What have you heard about Coral? Did they scrap the idea for SHARE on that ship? Hoping they are scrapping the idea on Regal too.

Thanks for the report. Since I'm the President of the We Hate Beets anti-fan club, I guess I won't be trying that one, but I might give the flank steak a try when I'm on the Diamond next month. (If it's there.) I don't think Princess thought this through very carefully (big shock!) when they replaced much-loved Always Available dishes with the Stone selections. I suppose the idea was to get people so excited about the MDR Stone dishes that they would run to SHARE for more. However, replacing simple dishes like salmon or beef medallions (which are not really jazzed up at all) with exotic items like curried plantains and pork belly is not going to make the fans of simple food happy. Unhappy patrons are going to take it out on Curtis Stone and his restaurant. From reports recently coming off the Coral, it sounds like the big scheme to promote SHARE isn't going so well (since they have scraped the idea on at least this one ship.) I don't see any SHARE carrying ships in my future, so I don't think I'll ever have the chance to turn it down, but the price tag alone would be reason enough for me. We'll see how it all plays out eventually, I guess.

Dont think they have the Flank on Diamond. No reports of it so far, seems they're trying different MDR dishes on different ships.

What have you heard about Coral? Did they scrap the idea for SHARE on that ship? Hoping they are scrapping the idea on Regal too.

Yes, the just completed drydock did not replace Sabatini's with SHARE and based on a post I read a passenger was told by the maître d' it was because SHARE was not being well received on the other ships.

Dont think they have the Flank on Diamond. No reports of it so far, seems they're trying different MDR dishes on different ships.

When the tri-tip was added to the Always Available menu it also wasn't well received and when I asked our server about having it he just rolled his eyes to indicate that it was not very good.

There are a couple of current Coral threads where it's mentioned.
Yes, the just completed drydock did not replace Sabatini's with SHARE and based on a post I read a passenger was told by the maître d' it was because SHARE was not being well received on the other ships.

Not at all surprised and not at all disappointed. Would much rather have the meatloaf at Denny's than eat at SHARE.

We sail in like 6 weeks, I'm certain that Karen will want to try it.

I have no worries about it being "worth" the $39. It isn't like they're popping open Lean Cuisine boxes! ;)

FWIW I find it perplexing that folks will complain about an optional restaurant's cost when it is optional AND the cost PP is less than what even average restaurants cost pp in any US city.

FWIW I find it perplexing that folks will complain about an optional restaurant's cost when it is optional AND the cost PP is less than what even average restaurants cost pp in any US city.

It's the strangest thing, isn't it? Some people like to spend money on one thing and some like to spend it on something else. I guess the only explanation is that not everyone is just like you. Who would have thought?

It's the strangest thing, isn't it? Some people like to spend money on one thing and some like to spend it on something else. I guess the only explanation is that not everyone is just like you. Who would have thought?

It might also bother some people when years ago the quality of food was so good in the MDR that there was no need for additional restaurants. (Captain's stations, real Flaming Cherries Jubilee and Baked Alaskan, Chateaubriand, etc)

$25 for steakhouse experience serving Prime NY steak and lobster every night is one thing, as we all know this could not afford to be served to 2,000 in the MDR on a nightly basis.

But $39 for a restaurant without such an identity is another matter. Has the MDR food quality and presentation became so poor over the years that paying $39 piece for this is now widely appealing?

It might also bother some people when years ago the quality of food was so good in the MDR that there was no need for additional restaurants. (Captain's stations, real Flaming Cherries Jubilee and Baked Alaskan, Chateaubriand, etc)

Has the MDR food quality and presentation became so poor over the years that paying $39 piece for this is now widely appealing?

Decades ago the food was outstanding however it cost me more for a 7 day cruise 30 years ago than it does today...if considering inflation back then was nearly double of what we're paying today.

So the decreasing quality & loss of tableside presentations is understandable to me. There are still many choices & to me when preparing food for thousands of passengers it's now more like a good banquet quality food.

The extra restaurant fees are in addition to what are mostly good meals that are free in the MDR. So the additional $78 per couple fee for SHARE is more than I'm willing to pay for a menu that doesn't appeal to me. We are willing to pay $50 per couple more than the MDR to dine at the Crown Grill & sometimes at Sabatini's.

In my SoCal area city there are plenty of restaurants where I can dine for less than $78 per couple & I don't want to pay that additional amount for SHARE when a MDR meal is included with my cruise fare.

It's merely how we feel & it's good to have options that passengers enjoy & maybe SHARE will succeed. Although based on a post from a passenger currently sailing the Coral post-drydock the maître d' said Sabatini's was not replaced by SHARE as planned due to a lack of success on other ships so apparently SHARE is not currently "widely appealing".

Edited by Astro Flyer

The extra restaurant fees are in addition to what are mostly good meals that are free in the MDR. So the additional $78 per couple fee for SHARE is more than I'm willing to pay for a menu that doesn't appeal to me. We are willing to pay $50 per couple more than the MDR to dine at the Crown Grill & sometimes at Sabatini's.

Good point. In addition, there is no limit to the number of things you can get in CG for your $25. You can have steak AND lobster and three orders of mushrooms if you want. SHARE limits the number of items you can order, and the servings are small (reportedly) and you'll need to pay another $39 for a second helping. I am not a food snob who needs to brag about the hoity-toity restaurants I visit, but I have seen a few in my life, and the price tag has never been worth the hype.

Pretty simple. We don't like the concept or menu for SHARE. We much prefer Sabbatini's. SHARE is $39 and Sabbatini's is $25. Why should we like paying 40% more for something we don't like?

Pretty simple. We don't like the concept or menu for SHARE. We much prefer Sabbatini's. SHARE is $39 and Sabbatini's is $25. Why should we like paying 40% more for something we don't like?

Just catching up on this thread. Sabatini's had been downhill to the point we actually considered it a dump. I know some people liked it, but anyone living in parts of the country with good Italian food know that Sabatini's at $25 was no bargain. We have nothing planned on Princess for a while, but I would give Share a chance and have already crossed Sabatini's off our list.

Good point. In addition, there is no limit to the number of things you can get in CG for your $25. You can have steak AND lobster and three orders of mushrooms if you want. SHARE limits the number of items you can order, and the servings are small (reportedly) and you'll need to pay another $39 for a second helping. I am not a food snob who needs to brag about the hoity-toity restaurants I visit, but I have seen a few in my life, and the price tag has never been worth the hype.

Then don't go. It does not make you a bad person not going. I don't play bingo but don't get my knickers in a bind because the ship offers it. I appreciate choices and variety and who know one day I may get bored and go try for a chance to scream bingo. Because one may like something you don't does not make them a "snob" or somehow is putting you down. Variety is the spice of life and Princess has to change or die. Their competition is killing them by updating offerings and new and exciting dining options, and Princess has been slow keeping up. I for one appreciate that Princess has chosen to offer us new choices.

Edited by MrMan

Then don't go. It does not make you a bad person not going. I don't play bingo but don't get my knickers in a bind because the ship offers it. I appreciate choices and variety and who know one day I may get bored and go try for a chance to scream bingo. Because one may like something you don't does not make them a "snob" or somehow is putting you down. Variety is the spice of life and Princess has to change or die. Their competition is killing them by updating offerings and new and exciting dining options, and Princess has been slow keeping up. I for one appreciate that Princess has chosen to offer us new choices.

I think you haven't been following the Stone threads very carefully. Yes, I (and others) have been called several names because we don't want to eat in SHARE. Let's see, the "belching hogs in the trailer park" remark was one of my favorites. (The mods removed that one, I think.) So you can skip the lecture.

MY objection to the Stone trifecta is the removal of favorite items from the MDR Always Available menu in order to offer some odd-sounding Stone creations instead. Anyone is welcome to go to SHARE. Knock yourself out. You are also welcome to try the promised Curtis Stone Chef's Table (when it appears.) Two-thirds of the Curtis Stoning of Princess is off my radar, but I do get to complain when he starts robbing me of favorites in the MDR.

BTW, next time you're on a Stone-laden ship, you might want to eat at SHARE every night. Reports are that the place is next-to-empty and the waiters are up on deck trolling for customers. I guess this is their version of "change or die."

Thanks for your opinion of SHARE and honestly glad you had an enjoyable time.

Sadly, we didn't enjoy SHARE because we thought we would. Hated that it was soooooooooo bright ... like eating an unused (only three other tables of diners when we were there) public library with hard chairs and wooden tables.

The menu sounded better than the actual food was to us. Have to admit the cheese they served was very good.

We would not go back even if at no cost. :rolleyes:

LuLu

BTW, next time you're on a Stone-laden ship, you might want to eat at SHARE every night. QReports are that the place is next-to-empty and the waiters are up on deck trolling for customers. I guess this is their version of "change or die."[/ka

This reminds me a little of Kai Sushi on the Diamond during our recent 12 NZ cruise. The Crown Grill space was taken away and given to Kai Sushi. Crown Grill is now a portion of Horzion Court at tables with tablecloths. The steakhouse ambiance is now gone. As we had early traditional dining we passed Kai Sushi many times while checking the sunset, and found Kai Sushi to be pretty much empty. A friend 'dropped in' during lunch one day and was surprised the sushi wasn't better than it was. Maybe during an Asia cruise it's busier, but I don't see how they've paid for the remodel. BTW, there is now an additional up charge if you want lobster in the Crown Grill.