Host Michell

Farewell Monarch, March 29, 2013 (Part 2)

[quote name='Pumbaamd']Bob, this copy/paste is from the recent MJ dry dock thread: Originally posted by [B]SelfCheckoutGuy[/B] I was hoping for the Ultimate Abyss, maybe a Flowrider, a zipline, bumber cars or iFly during dry dock. Now I have no idea where they would put any of these items, but it'd make [B][COLOR=#d9534f]Majesty[/COLOR][/B] pretty cool. And it's not my job to figure out where they would go.
I guess maybe we can just settle for parasailing off the back.
(For those in CruiseCritic that miss sarcasm, this post is full of it. I realize there is no possiblity for these items on [B][COLOR=#d9534f]Majesty[/COLOR][/B], well except the parasailing, that'd be something I'd be interested in them investigating.) Kind of like the blimp they tested on Oasis. It didn't end well. 😱

And this is a reply to the above:
"I did notice the ugly [B][COLOR=#d9534f]rock[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=#d9534f]wall[/COLOR][/B] is still there. What a shame."

Looks like the rock wall was in bad shape before the dry dock. Why wasn't it taken care of in dry dock? There has to be a bigger picture here. JD and Shane leaving, no Chops, party on Coco Cay still on?
Rick[/quote]
Rick, all I can think of is that they decided late that Majesty was not long for the fleet. I know JD wanted Chops, maybe he got tired of them promising and then pulling the rug out.

Hello everyone, just getting back from a 4 nighter on the Norwegian Epic. She's a really nice ship, I was pleasantly surprised. "Never judge a book by its cover" definitely applies.

[quote name='DarthGrady']Hello everyone, just getting back from a 4 nighter on the Norwegian Epic. She's a really nice ship, I was pleasantly surprised. "Never judge a book by its cover" definitely applies.[/quote]
Welcome back. I always read that the pool area is small for the size of the ship. Did you feel that way?

[quote name='Host Clarea']Welcome back. I always read that the pool area is small for the size of the ship. Did you feel that way?[/QUOTE]I suppose if you don't count the private pool area for the Villas guests then yes, it would trail the similarly sized Freedom class ships. The Epic has two main pools, plus the one in the aft adult only "h2o Spice" area. Freedom has an extra one in the kids area, but Epic has the benefit of some water park quality slides.

That being said, especially with the 3 water slides factored in, it didn't seem any more crowded. The layout is really the biggest problem, it's very chopped up. There's so much stuff crammed in up there it seems like you're always having to twist and turn to avoid things. You also can't use the upper deck to avoid the pool crowd, since the upper sun decks don't actually connect to anything.

Epic also has the same problem as most ships in that the entire roof of the forward sections is wasted. There are chairs up there, but no pools or tubs. So no one really used it.

[quote name='DarthGrady']I suppose if you don't count the private pool area for the Villas guests then yes, it would trail the similarly sized Freedom class ships. The Epic has two main pools, plus the one in the aft adult only "h2o Spice" area. Freedom has an extra one in the kids area, but Epic has the benefit of some water park quality slides.

That being said, especially with the 3 water slides factored in, it didn't seem any more crowded. The layout is really the biggest problem, it's very chopped up. There's so much stuff crammed in up there it seems like you're always having to twist and turn to avoid things. You also can't use the upper deck to avoid the pool crowd, since the upper sun decks don't actually connect to anything.

Epic also has the same problem as most ships in that the entire roof of the forward sections is wasted. There are chairs up there, but no pools or tubs. So no one really used it.[/quote]
Interesting, thanks Grady.

Photos of the Epic here:

[url]https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2608866[/url]

[quote name='DarthGrady']Photos of the Epic here:

[URL]https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2608866[/URL][/quote]
Nice photos Grady, that dining room thing looks out of this world!

Just back from two weeks on AD. Very nice cruises, I'll be sad to see her leave San Juan.

[quote name='Host Clarea']Nice photos Grady, that dining room thing looks out of this world!

Just back from two weeks on AD. Very nice cruises, I'll be sad to see her leave San Juan.[/QUOTE]Yes it was, the whole ship was impressively modern. We just booked MSC Seaside for Halloween, so looking forward to exploring another new ship soon.

[quote name='DarthGrady']Yes it was, the whole ship was impressively modern. We just booked MSC Seaside for Halloween, so looking forward to exploring another new ship soon.[/quote]

Seaside is appealing for me because of the loyalty match program. Even if I only book a mid level cabin, the perks beat RCI's.

[quote name='wolfcathorse']Seaside is appealing for me because of the loyalty match program. Even if I only book a mid level cabin, the perks beat RCI's.[/QUOTE]That's what appealed to us as well. Plus their pricing is very attractive. We got a balcony with the drink package for around $800 per person total!

Bob, I have a question. In the roll calls, sometimes I see an automated response that says the person is going to be on that cruise. How is this response generated? I am on a roll call where 3 of these occurred within 22 minutes.

[quote name='hannibal54']Bob, I have a question. In the roll calls, sometimes I see an automated response that says the person is going to be on that cruise. How is this response generated? I am on a roll call where 3 of these occurred within 22 minutes.[/quote]
People click on the "Find Your Roll Call" link: [url]https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/[/url]. Then they select the cruise line, ship, click on the date, then click on "I'm Sailing".

Radiance cruise canceled. Totally devastated. Planned for 2 years. On a tour now (all day) and can't even do any rearranging til tomorrow.

Happy birthday to me :(

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

[quote name='Cruzin-K']Radiance cruise canceled. Totally devastated. Planned for 2 years. On a tour now (all day) and can't even do any rearranging til tomorrow.

[/quote]
Very sorry to hear that Karen. Were you on the TP too?

No, just the 11 night then had plans in Singapore

[quote name='Cruzin-K']Radiance cruise canceled. Totally devastated. Planned for 2 years. On a tour now (all day) and can't even do any rearranging til tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk[/quote]

That is terrible. Why was it cancelled?

[quote name='Host Clarea']People click on the "Find Your Roll Call" link: [URL]https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/[/URL]. Then they select the cruise line, ship, click on the date, then click on "I'm Sailing".[/quote]

Thanks Bob, that answers my question. It seems like a lot of new people do that & you never hear back from them. They may not know how to get to the roll call.

Bad azipod.

Haha. Autocorrect tried to change azipod to stupid. Fitting.

[quote name='Cruzin-K']Bad azipod.

Haha. Autocorrect tried to change azipod to stupid. Fitting.
[/quote]
Guessing that they could have made your cruise with one azipod, but no way they would risk the TP with only one pod, so they had to cancel your cruise to get it fixed. What a huge disappointment. I hope you had your air with Air2Sea.

[quote name='hannibal54']Thanks Bob, that answers my question. It seems like a lot of new people do that & you never hear back from them. They may not know how to get to the roll call.[/quote]
I see the same thing, many times the people never come back.

[quote name='Host Clarea']Guessing that they could have made your cruise with one azipod, but no way they would risk the TP with only one pod, so they had to cancel your cruise to get it fixed. What a huge disappointment. I hope you had your air with Air2Sea.[/QUOTE]No. It was booked on my own using miles . I am not changing anything. Just trying to plan a land tour at the last minute. I have to kill 11 days before I fly out to Singapore. My flight and hotel in Singapore are non refundable, and although I haven't called my insurance company, most people in the Facebook group for this cruise are complaining that Insurance does not cover this because it was due to a mechanical failure.

While having my 50th birthday screwed up is a huge disappointment , others on my Cruise have it much worse. Two ladies were supposed to be getting married in one of the ports of call, and had about 18 friends and family going with them. There are also a lot of families with children who will be very disappointed. It has to be hard for the parents to explain to little kids why their vacation is cancelled

So here I sit at home alone. DH and DS are in Florida visiting DD. I'm enduring my second day of thundersnow in 3 days. I wasn't invited to go along as I was reminded that since I had been on a cruise in January and February, that it was the boys turn to play. And it was my turn to stay home with the pets for a change. I don't think that should have anything to do with whether I see my DD or not.

Hello, another post from an interloper (Monarch OTS last season but not last cruise).

I’m currently on Crystal Symphony’s World Cruise and just encountered Monarch twice, first in Colon and the next day in Cartagena. I hope you don’t mind but I like to keep a little bit of my ship in the picture.

We stayed ovenight in Colon and Monarc arrived the next morning:

[URL]http://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/monarchdocked.jpg[/URL]

She was ahead of us as we were preparing to leave.

[URL]http://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/monarch1.jpg[/URL]

As we passed she was holding her muster drill and left soon after us. Here’s a look back on our departure.

[URL]http://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/monarch6.jpg[/URL]

I was in the terminal when Monarch arrived in Cartagena. On the way back I got a line of the 4 bows all lined up (Monarch, Eurodam, Symphony, and Regent Mariner.

[URL]http://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/4bows.jpg[/URL]

The Eurodam left at 1PM and I got a better view from out ship after that.

[URL]http://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/monarch2.jpg[/URL]

Both the Mariner and Monarch sailed about 7PM but the Monarch looked great in the last light of the day

[URL]http://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/dusk0421.jpg[/URL]

It was dark by the time she sailed and she left all lit up:

[URL]http://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/monarch3.jpg[/URL]

When I was in Cartagena last year Monarch was leaving on a transatlantic. It looks like for now she is staying on her 7-day cycle for at least the next year or so. Still going strong.

Roy

I'm still hoping they bring back Monarch like they brought back Empress. Shoot, they could even bring back Sovereign too and have the entire Sovereign class do sailings for Cuba.

Thanks for sharing the pics! We got to see her at GC last year, hopefully Pullmantur keeps her around for a while. Maybe long enough for RCI to bring her back home like the Empress! :D

[quote name='wolfcathorse']I'm still hoping they bring back Monarch like they brought back Empress. Shoot, they could even bring back Sovereign too and have the entire Sovereign class do sailings for Cuba.[/QUOTE]Works for me! I keep hoping that someday RCI will figure out that not everyone wants the mega-ship experience, at least not all the time. I think they've been too quick to sell off the older and smaller tonnage. If only they'd build us a few more Radiance Class ships.....

[quote name='DarthGrady'] ... If only they'd build us a few more Radiance Class ships.....[/quote]
I don't think that will every happen under the RC name. They are totally committed to the profits that come from the economy of scale of 4K+ passenger ships.

I'd love more Radiance class as well, especially some with working azipods. Lol

I doubt they'll ever build more that size though. At some point the rest of the Vision class, and Radiance class will be sold and well be left with nothing but mega ships. Maybe by then I'll be retired and can afford Seabourn or Silversea for a small ship experience :D

[quote name='Host Clarea']I don't think that will every happen under the RC name. They are totally committed to the profits that come from the economy of scale of 4K+ passenger ships.[/QUOTE]Ah, the dreaded economy of scale!

I guess it's inevitable in the hospitality/travel industry. The cruise lines will become just like the land resorts. Our choices will eventually be the cheaper gigantic, generic experiences or the smaller expensive boutique options.

Those of us who got to experience the pleasant days (I'd say the late 90s into the mid 2010s) of low prices AND smaller ships will have the hardest time acclimating.

[quote name='DarthGrady']
Those of us who got to experience the pleasant days (I'd say the late 90s into the mid 2010s) of low prices AND smaller ships will have the hardest time acclimating.[/quote]

and I'm cruising a lot to try and acclimate!

Roy,
Thanks for your great Monarch photos. You would have loved her last RCCL cruise(s).
Maryland is still in one piece. Enjoy your cruise!
Rick

Yesterday on Dream Cruises their show was on the Pullmantur Sovereign, this was interesting to me because the Sovereign of the Seas was my first cruise. She was doing a cruise in the Mediterranean Seas which was also interesting for me because I had been to some of the ports when I was in the Navy. It was good to see both of them again.

[quote name='hannibal54']Yesterday on Dream Cruises their show was on the Pullmantur Sovereign, this was interesting to me because the Sovereign of the Seas was my first cruise. She was doing a cruise in the Mediterranean Seas which was also interesting for me because I had been to some of the ports when I was in the Navy. It was good to see both of them again.[/quote]

I'm glad I got to sail on her before they removed the clock from the centrum

Bob, are we allowed to give out our e-mail addresses? I see some people who spell out dot com in their e-mail address. I am just wondering, thanks.

[quote name='hannibal54']Bob, are we allowed to give out our e-mail addresses? I see some people who spell out dot com in their e-mail address. I am just wondering, thanks.[/quote]
Sure, no problem. I think people obscure their email address show it can be harvested by web crawlers that scan websites looking for email addresses.

[quote name='Host Clarea']Sure, no problem. I think people obscure their email address show it can be harvested by web crawlers that scan websites looking for email addresses.[/quote]

Thanks Bob, I never thought about others trying to grab peoples e-mails.

Sailing this Saturday on Harmony with friends from Port St. Lucie. Be great to get away from our Maryland Monsoon. Six more inches of rain expected before we board our flight out Saturday a.m.
R&D

[quote name='Pumbaamd']Sailing this Saturday on Harmony with friends from Port St. Lucie. Be great to get away from our Maryland Monsoon. Six more inches of rain expected before we board our flight out Saturday a.m.
R&D[/quote]
Safe travels and Bon Voyage Rick. Enjoy the Coastal Kitchen.