Dress Code

eliana

I just did a search for Formal Optional and came across this thread. We are sailing on Spirit Aug. 5 - Athens to Venice - and mysilversea says Formal Optional for one night. Good to know DH can just wear a jacket and tie even though we're eating at La T that night. He'll be sooo glad not to have to buy a new suit.

Oh good to know - I'm also on that cruise as our first SS experience. Maybe see you on board Linda :)

The antiquated dress code is why we no longer sail with Silversea.
To each his own, but we really enjoy the antiquated dress code. Our daughter (17-yr. old) has cruised with us since she was 10 and absolutely loves shopping for new dresses when we cruise. And, I enjoy looking my best too for all the effort she puts forth.

Couldn't say it better! :)

In the end this issue will not be decided solely by those that choose Silversea and say so here, but also what their research tells them prevents or dissaudes the far greater number of prospective customers that choose not to sail SS but spend their cash elsewhere.

:)

Jeff

In the end this issue will not be decided solely by those that choose Silversea and say so here, but also what their research tells them prevents or dissaudes the far greater number of prospective customers that choose not to sail SS but spend their cash elsewhere.

Jeff

True but then I don't visit the Seabourn board and post that I won't cruise on Seabourn until they reinstate full enforced formal nights. :D

True but then I don't visit the Seabourn board and post that I won't cruise on Seabourn until they reinstate full enforced formal nights. :D

Why not if you wish Seabourn to revert to what is becoming an anachronism. We have met many former Silversea passengers on board Regent and Seabourn who now prefer their much more relaxed dress requirements. People still dress well and smart but without the rigidity of Silversea. Still in the end it's everyone to their own tastes. We now stick to Regent and Seabourn.

I don't recall a single poster here stating they wouldn't sail SS unless they included excursions. It didn't stop SS, presumably because their research told them that the number of existing, loyal customers they would lose would be outnumbered by the new customers that they would gain.

Jeff

Why not if you wish Seabourn to revert to what is becoming an anachronism. We have met many former Silversea passengers on board Regent and Seabourn who now prefer their much more relaxed dress requirements. People still dress well and smart but without the rigidity of Silversea. Still in the end it's everyone to their own tastes. We now stick to Regent and Seabourn.

There are a number of lines we've cruised and now don't and some we haven't cruised and probably never will. Our reasons not to cruise certain lines run the gamut from ship size to entertainment to food to service to itineraries just to name a few. I have better things to do than post my dislikes in their sections here on CC.

Then you will never sail on Seabourn. And I'm willing to bet that within two to three years you'll be saying the same thing about Silversea. Cruise lines are actively courting younger demographics and younger people do not want to pack formal wear. Just look at the changes in dress code in the past five years. You used to see mainly tuxedoes and cocktail wear on formal evenings. Now these evening are called formal optional and on my last Silversea cruise in April I could count the tuxedos on the fingers of both hands. All of this is backed up by the cruise line's brochures. Remember ten years ago the photos were filled with guests in tuxes and long gowns. Today it's all casual wear.

Then you will never sail on Seabourn. And I'm willing to bet that within two to three years you'll be saying the same thing about Silversea. Cruise lines are actively courting younger demographics and younger people do not want to pack formal wear. Just look at the changes in dress code in the past five years. You used to see mainly tuxedoes and cocktail wear on formal evenings. Now these evening are called formal optional and on my last Silversea cruise in April I could count the tuxedos on the fingers of both hands. All of this is backed up by the cruise line's brochures. Remember ten years ago the photos were filled with guests in tuxes and long gowns. Today it's all casual wear.

Ironically, i suggest the further younger upmarket you wish to place your cruise product the more smart informal and less formal you need to be.

Jeff

You are missing the point. The point was not really about the dress code but more about going to another line's section here and saying "I won't cruise this line because insert reason." I guess that's all fine and good but really? A waste of time in my book.

By the way the dress code issue notwithstanding the only reason we've not cruised Seabourn has been not being able to find an itinerary at a time we wanted to or could cruise. Liking or not liking formal nights is not a driving issue.

Edited by Randyk47

You are missing the point. The point was not really about the dress code but more about going to another line's section here and saying "I won't cruise this line because insert reason." I guess that's all fine and good but really? A waste of time in my book.

We are entering into Monty Python land here aren't we? :D

If any of us had better things to do than post here, then we would be doing it wouldn't we!

:D

Jeff

We are entering into Monty Python land here aren't we? :D

If any of us had better things to do than post here, then we would be doing it wouldn't we!

Jeff

I was thinking Twilight Zone. :D

Personally I'm watching golf, having a nice sandwich for lunch, and looking forward to taking my wife out to dinner tonight for our typical Friday date night. :)

I was thinking Twilight Zone. :D

Personally I'm watching golf, having a nice sandwich for lunch, and looking forward to taking my wife out to dinner tonight for our typical Friday date night. :)

I'm waiting for the smoke salmon to finish "breathing" and the bagels to cool down. The Philadelphia is fine!

Jeff

to Randyk47 - you are absolutely correct. Just a flitting senior moment when I typed FLL.

Nonetheless, the page does indicate, at this point, 3 formal nights.

And while 'younger demographics' may point towards relaxed dress codes, let's not forget the hassle of packing/hauling formal gear amid stringent airline baggage rules.

I've always found it fun, on SS and SB, to observe all the finery.

It's all fine for those of you making light of those of us who prefer the current dress code. However, I'll enjoy formal nights in SS as long as they last. Afterwards... I don't know if I will like Cunard...

I travel with 2 twenty somethings and even though they are of opposite genders they both love the "formal nights".

My son love picking a pocket square to go with his bow tie. His bow ties definitely express part of his personality

Think this kind of bow tie.

http://www.declic.com.au/category.asp?cid=15&t=Bow%20Ties

That being said he doesn't take a tux but does take a black suit which fits him perfectly as the only time he would wear a tux is on the cruise.

Miss W has a world of formal wear as a result of attending a number of formal events for the end of school and is still attending a lot of formal events as part of university. Strangely enough she always seems to need something new.

So maybe there is a group of younger ones out there who do enjoy formal wear....

I travel with 2 twenty somethings and even though they are of opposite genders they both love the "formal nights".

My son love picking a pocket square to go with his bow tie. His bow ties definitely express part of his personality

Think this kind of bow tie.

http://www.declic.com.au/category.asp?cid=15&t=Bow%20Ties

That being said he doesn't take a tux but does take a black suit which fits him perfectly as the only time he would wear a tux is on the cruise.

Miss W has a world of formal wear as a result of attending a number of formal events for the end of school and is still attending a lot of formal events as part of university. Strangely enough she always seems to need something new.

So maybe there is a group of younger ones out there who do enjoy formal wear....

Oh .... I'm sure there is. Particularly if their parents are paying for their cruise and their full wardrobe!

I'd dress up in a gorilla outfit and eat a banana and scratch my private itchy bits, if someone kind paid for my travel and kit, but I'm just a tart!

:D;)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Oh .... I'm sure there is. Particularly if their parents are paying for their cruise and their full wardrobe!

I'd dress up in a gorilla outfit and eat a banana and scratch my private itchy bits, if someone kind paid for my travel and kit, but I'm just a tart!

:D;)

Jeff

He buys his own clothes. I pay for the cruise, he has to pay for any additional costs.

It goes without saying he buys the drinks on board

It is a completely personal decision whether one wants to wear formal wear or not. I was just reacting to someone saying they won't sail in a particular line until it reinstates its formal wear policy. I don't care what you wear and I expect you not to care what i wear. All within reason, of course.