Dress Code

eliana

I'm sorry WRIPRO I do care what you wear. All passengers should abide by the dress code. After 6.00 pm passengers should have showered and dressed accordingly for dinner. Those not dressed appropriately should have cabin service.

It is not a matter of being less tolerant, I simply want cruisers to abide by the dress code. There are a myriad of cruise ships to choose from so why would someone want to choose a ship with a dress code that doesn't suit them.

But you seem to be making up dress codes that do not exist or interpeting them only to your favour. Firstly, you are wrong as guests can dine in Terraza if they wish and not have to dine in their suites. Secondly, informal nights have the same dress code status and force as formal nights. Do you believe they should be applied equally vigorously as well?

Do you extend your views "the other way" and respect those that feel that people who prefer to dress formally on informal nights should be confined to their suites in deference to those who wish to enjoy the more informal, relaxed and laid-back ambiance and not have it ruined by others who do not wish to comply and "dress up"? Or do you think they should be more tolerant?

The guidelnes are not stated to be a minimum but more an absolute. For example they could equally be read to mean that an informal night has the same compliance standards and requirements as formal nights in that it would be equally wrong to dress formally on informal nights as it is to dress informally on formal nights.

Not many people know that ....:);)

Jeff

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual

All nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

My wife and I are probably a bit older than most of the posters on this thread. We (and particularly my DW) do enjoy the formal nights including a Tux for me. I do however detest wearing a tie. On our last cruise I compensated for one of the formal evenings by wearing my Tux with a formal vest and a very nice open-collared black silk shirt. From what I am reading here, that would not be acceptable. Is that correct, and if so, I think it's a shame.

Jeff, cruisers should abide by the dress code. I'll leave it at that.

With respect, you didn't "leave it at that" but said they should remain in their suites after 6pm. I agree that cruisers should comply with the dress code, but I simply disagree with you that they should remain in their suite. I think your reaction to others is wrong.

Jeff

My wife and I are probably a bit older than most of the posters on this thread. We (and particularly my DW) do enjoy the formal nights including a Tux for me. I do however detest wearing a tie. On our last cruise I compensated for one of the formal evenings by wearing my Tux with a formal vest and a very nice open-collared black silk shirt. From what I am reading here, that would not be acceptable. Is that correct, and if so, I think it's a shame.

I posted the full published guidelines a post or so back. It says a tie is required on formal nights.

I think the solution to this is relatively simple and would satisfy all but those that will not be satisfied. I think that they should dispense with casual in the evenings in the MD and have the MD simply fill the restaurant in roughly two halves with one side predominantly formal the other smart casual. Terraza I guess could be anything and people simply have to accept anything from casual upwards.

It may seem weird, but I dislike scruffily dressed people in the MD as much as I detest formal evenings. A restaurant that combines formal and smart casual seems to me to be perfectly adequate solution for most and would probably generate more business for SS.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I posted the full published guidelines a post or so back. It says a tie is required on formal nights.QUOTE]

I understand and that's the way I read it. I just think that is too strict a reading and a shame.

Another interesting question I have is that We will be sailing on the Muse which as I understand, will not have a MD. Wonder how that will affect this discussion?

Ernie.

Edited by ernieb

It is a completely personal decision whether one wants to wear formal wear or not. I was just reacting to someone saying they won't sail in a particular line until it reinstates its formal wear policy. I don't care what you wear and I expect you not to care what i wear. All within reason, of course.

Again, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. My point was and is that I don't go to other cruise line sections and express my personal likes or dislikes with that cruise line.....especially if I've never cruised with that line or haven't in any recent history. I should demand or suggest I'll only cruise with them if they conform to my personal likes. Really????? We like or dislike or are interested or not interested in many lines because of numerous reasons. Got it! I can't make NCL into Silversea or Silversea into Seabourn or Seabourn into Ponant nor do I want to. Robert Heinlien once said something along the line of "Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It irritates the pig and is a waste of your time."

Edited by Randyk47

I'm sorry WRIPRO I do care what you wear. All passengers should abide by the dress code. After 6.00 pm passengers should have showered and dressed accordingly for dinner. Those not dressed appropriately should have cabin service.

What if I cared what you drink or eat or otherwise to to fill your time? How loudly you talk? How much perfume you wear? How you comb you hair? Do I get a vote on all that? I suspect not and you don't get a vote on what I wear either. That said, I did stipulate "within reason" which means I would dress appropriately. I can always sell you some blinders so you won't have to look at my attire!

Unfortunately we do get a 'vote' on your standard of dress WRIPRO. If it's a formal night, then the Maitre D' will have the first 'vote' and may refuse you entry to the dining room. Other diners would also have the right to complain if they felt you were inappropriately dressed. We know the dress code of individual cruise lines and should be choosing one that suits us as individuals. We dined with two elderly American ladies on our last SS cruise. They were pleased to see that a man dressed in a Stetson, fringed jacket, jeans and boots was refused entry to the MD on a formal night. He was not pleased as he claimed that he was dressed appropriately for a formal night in Texas. The ladies loved getting dressed up and that was there reason for sailing with SS.

Jeff, cruisers should abide by the dress code. I'll leave it at that.

I simply agree with every statement you have made. The dress guide is in rather simple declarative sentences. Not too difficult to understand. For instance, if invited to a pool party, the dress may be swim suit. It would be ok to dress-up and wear shorts. It probably would not be ok to dress down and go naked.

I simply agree with every statement you have made. The dress guide is in rather simple declarative sentences. Not too difficult to understand. For instance, if invited to a pool party, the dress may be swim suit. It would be ok to dress-up and wear shorts. It probably would not be ok to dress down and go naked.

Seems like the latter would be more fun!

If I had not sailed on Silversea three times and read this thread, I would have never booked our first cruise. This sounds like stubborn passengers that demand that people do things their way. We prefer "Elegant Casual" or men with sports jackets (not sure what they are called in the U.K.). Ties are not necessary with this dress code. We did abide by the dress code - not because we wanted to but because we liked the itinerary that Silversea offered and the ships (Whisper and Shadow only) and would not want to offend anyone.

Perhaps Silversea will eventually get into this century and do away with "required" formal nights and go to "formal optional". If Seabourn can finally do away with smoking in suites and balconies, surely Silversea can start catering to guests that are not so "old school". After all, their future lies with younger generations. In order to compete, they need to "fit in".

Just my humble opinion.

Travelcat2 I respect your opinion. Some cruise lines such as Celebrity have moved to 'elegant casual' as their top-end dress code and that is why I have abandoned them. It really lets people wear anything as long as its not pool wear.

SS seem to have no problem attracting clients who want to abide by the formal dress code and why should we be referred to as 'stuffy'. We enjoy dressing for dinner and being with others who have made equal effort.

Many young people also enjoy dressing for dinner and would not want to be thought of as 'old school'. We abide by standards in every part of our lives and I am glad that SS both set a standard and enforce it.

Given time perhaps pool wear will be acceptable in the dining room for dinner In which case they should simply have a self-service cafe and do away with anything which resembles table service.

Thank you for your support. I seem to be out-numbered. I'm Scottish and love wearing my kilt, black jacket, bow tie and wing-collared shirt for formal nights. Equally I like seeing other men and women elegantly dressed.

Thank you for your support. I seem to be out-numbered. I'm Scottish and love wearing my kilt, black jacket, bow tie and wing-collared shirt for formal nights. Equally I like seeing other men and women elegantly dressed.

Thanks ..... I have looked but cannot find it .... where does it say in Silversea's Dress Code that kilts are acceptable?

Jeff

Thanks ..... I have looked but cannot find it .... where does it say in Silversea's Dress Code that kilts are acceptable?

Jeff

Jeff, Please refer to theblacktieguide.com and also to Debrett's and you'll find that a kilt with the correct jacket etc is formal dress. I'm sure if you contact SS you'll find there is no problem.

Jeff, Please refer to theblacktieguide.com and also to Debrett's and you'll find that a kilt with the correct jacket etc is formal dress. I'm sure if you contact SS you'll find there is no problem.

I thought so. You have been very clear and specific about your requirement that in order to satisfy you, other Silversea's customers must comply rigidly with Silversea's published dress code or take their cruises with another line or eat in their cabin.

Now you are saying that Silversea's dress code applies to everyone else except for you - because you wish to ignore Silverseas Dress Code but adhere to someone else's

I don't know what you'd make if someone from Bermuda came in .....

42c12cb44aefb5598be09207fedbe62f.jpg

Jeff

I thought so. You have been very clear and specific about your requirement that in order to satisfy you, other Silversea's customers must comply rigidly with Silversea's published dress code or take their cruises with another line or eat in their cabin.

Now you are saying that Silversea's dress code applies to everyone else except for you - because you wish to ignore Silverseas Dress Code but adhere to someone else's

I don't know what you'd make if someone from Bermuda came in .....

42c12cb44aefb5598be09207fedbe62f.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, you will not be satisfied with anything I say. Many countries have a formal version of their national dress, which I would always consider appropriate. I am complying with the SS dress code but please contact them if you think, I and other kilt wearers, should be refused entry to the dining room. SS have a strict dress code and I comply with it. I would be unhappy with other passengers who did not comply to the code. As I have said before there are cruise lines with different dress codes and individuals should find one that suits them. That way we will all be happy.

I find that the dining room managers do a pretty good job of following the dining room dress policy. I must own a dozen fine wool kilts in varying lengths and clans. On cool weather trips, a longer one with cashmere and pearls, black velvet jacket and black velvet slippers seem to fit the bill just right with not a "sparkle" in sight. I'm mystified why people choose something that they know is not their style and then complain about it or refuse to just get with the program. If the company feels that the issue is affecting the bottom line, I'm quite sure they will adjust things. There are similar cruise lines with that vague "country club casual" standard that might be a less stressful choice......for everyone..

Surprised to read, Jeff, that you do not consider proper Scottish evening dress for men to be appropriate on board Silversea, or indeed any other cruise line which likes people to wear formal dress on these occasions. I have always considered the Scottish evening wear for men to be not only perfectly fine for formal wear, but also (especially with good legs) elegant. It is certainly expensive; my son-in-law has the evening kilt etc. for formal dos, and I was amazed to find out how much it cost!

I couldn't care two hoots what anyone else is wearing as long as they are clean and reasonably smart. I certainly wouldn't post on a web site in a rather angry and unfriendly way that other people wearing kilts should eat in their "cabin" or use a different line.

I'm more concerned about their courtesy, generosity of spirit, whether they are interesting or not and whether they have decent table manners. All these things are much more important to me than what they are wearing.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I remember in the early 1960's that the norm was for men and older boys to travel in suits. Today on an airplane one is lucky if the next passenger isn't carrying a cage full of chickens. Dressing for dinner is also passing away, but it's not gone yet. BTW, I'm one of those "middle American" slobs who prefer casual attire but I want to try out SS and intend to abide by the dress code. As for the controversy over the kilt question, I just don't have the legs to pull it off.

I remember in the early 1960's that the norm was for men and older boys to travel in suits. Today on an airplane one is lucky if the next passenger isn't carrying a cage full of chickens. Dressing for dinner is also passing away, but it's not gone yet. BTW, I'm one of those "middle American" slobs who prefer casual attire but I want to try out SS and intend to abide by the dress code. As for the controversy over the kilt question, I just don't have the legs to pull it off.

There are still some who ask what they should wear when flying F, but most frequent F flyers seem to be dressed for comfort rather than to impress! :D

The topic reminded me of one particular dinner at the Chantecler at The Negresco in Nice. A table in the middle of the restaurant close to ours was filled by a very elderly couple who were very clearly "up from the country" and I was enormously impressed with how the staff really fussed over the couple and made everything extra special for them. They were on the fixed price tasting menu with wine at each course and when a second glass was offered on one of the courses the elderly gent quietly asked if it was "extra" but reassured quietly that it wasn't with a wink and a smile from the waiter.

The couple weren't by any means dressed for The Chantecler, but it became clear that the other diners realised that this was something extra special for the couple and shared their delight particularly with a round of applause when the lights were dimmed and a surprise cake with all the sparklers was marched in and shared amongst all the diners that night.

Afterwards, the MD was chatting and he explained that it had been a very long standing booking and that it was a farmer and his wife celebrating 60 years of marriage and they had travelled several hundred miles to be there and that the staff were determined that this was going to be a meal of a lifetime for the elderly couple.

French waiters so often get a bad rap, but on that day they were wonderful and it reminded me in the context of this thread and some of the comments, how important generosity of spirit is.

And for the avoidance of doubt, I'm a British slob that never looks elegant even if I tried!

:)

Jeff