Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

We are on the Anthem right now, left NY yesterday, we sailed in a storm that intensified very quickly, Captain tried to turn ship but waited too long. We have been stuck in 125+ mph winds 30+ foot waves for 4 hours. Captain said they are in communication with the coast guard, struggling to point ship into wind but can't move forward. All passengers told to stay in cabins water entered ship on upper decks, large white structure broke off top of ship landed in pool. At the height of storm waves breaking above the top of life boats and ship listing almost 45 degrees, with wind looked like a total white out. Conditions are improving but damage all over ship, crew look concerned and sounded very concerned on intracom. Some passengers sitting in muster stations.

Obviously a bad storm for everyone but did the Capt say almost a 45 degree list? I find that hard to believe, the ship would have been completely on it's side at 45 degrees. Even a 25 degree list would be very substantial on a cruise ship..

That said prayers for everyone's safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by snowbird1

I was just on the Anthem and got off the ship yesterday. I also spent an hour on the bridge tour seeing the entire bridge. There is no possible way they didn't know a storm this bad was coming or at least half as bad - they have an entire room devoted to tracking the weather with 4 giant monitors and 3 computers that's right next to the main bridge.

And judging by the corners they cut on our cruise, the captain, heavily pressured by the execs at Royal Caribbean, probably pushed for the ship to get through it to "stay on the timeline"...

I know it sounds harsh but I really believe going through the storm was a severe judgement error on RC's part. Either that or they were taking a gamble getting through it, hoping that it wouldn't be as bad as it could be.

Edited by Mere828

Wow, but better and upper deck than one below water.

A ceiling collapse isn't the same as a deck collapsing. Most of the ceilings are suspended ceilings, hanging by wires from the decking and beams above.

So sorry to hear that but thankful that you will get safely to shore. Is Deck 14 staterooms? Where are those people staying tonight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deck 14 is the Windjammer in the back of the ship and I believe the Solarium bistro in the front of the ship. I got off of Anthem on Saturday.

So, you know meteorology better than the captain, and his years of experience?

As an aviator for 40+ years, I know weather / meteorology, and how quickly things can change. In a 200 knot plane, I can get out of the way quicker than in a 22.5 knot cruise ship.

My feeling is that what was "brewing" became far worse than expected, and he could not get out of the way. No captain in their right mind would knowingly sail into this mess.

No technology can predict the unpredictable..... you are absolutely correct on your 2 posts.... thanks for posting

We'll be disembarking tomorrow, ship is too damaged to continue. Ceiling collapsed on deck 14.

Was that an official announcement, the disembarking?

As for the ceiling collapse...well, if it's just the decorate trim, that's not a biggie - it's cosmetic.

I remember when the crack happened on Grandeur the initial stories were that the entire running track deck had "collapsed" onto the pool deck when in reality (after all the hubub settled down) all that collapsed was the cosmetic trim. In the end it didn't even miss the next sailing and went some time before it was repaired - it was still there on our New Years cruise last year - I have pictures walking across it!

Until anything official is announced I think it's premature to assume anything. Surely after they're clear of the storm they'll sound the ship and make a decision at that point, but for cosmetic damage I highly doubt they'll cancel the entire cruise.

I was just on the Anthem and got off the ship yesterday. I also spent an hour on the bridge tour seeing the entire bridge. There is no possible way they didn't know a storm this bad was coming or at least half as bad - they have an entire room devoted to tracking the weather with 4 giant monitors and 3 computers that's right next to the main bridge.

And judging by the corners they cut on our cruise, the captain, heavily pressured by the execs at Royal Caribbean, probably pushed for the ship to get through it to "stay on the timeline"...

I know it sounds harsh but I really believe going through the storm was a severe judgement error on RC's part. Either that or they were taking a gamble getting through it, hoping that it wouldn't be as bad as it could be.

So you joined Cruise Critic today just to armchair quarterback the ship's captain. I can understand the people onboard at the time of the storm being upset but you really have no excuse. Back to your bridge with you.

East Coast storm is heinous. Captain has sent everyone to their cabins.

....the ship is dealing with 115mph winds and severe seas. Watching out our balcony is exhilarating and terrifying. Much water came though the deck doors on deck 5 before they shut the watertights. The captain is holding the ship in place against the wind possibly by sheer will. My cabin is making weird noises. At least we have 2 bottles of champagne. Hugs to all.

Praying that all we be okay

Looks like this thread is going to get ugly fast.

I'm glad everyone is safe now.

I'm sure the Captain and crew did all they could...sometimes things just happen.

I hope all pax had travel insurance, and I hope everyone remains reasonable and doesn't try to make a quick buck off this, or grab their 15 minutes of fame.

Could you clarify what corners you thought were cut on your cruise? Just curious.

This thread started out with people really caring about those onboard. And it has turned into people condemning a man without knowing all the facts. That makes me sad.

To those onboard - I am praying for your safety. As for me, checking out of this thread that has taken a turn for the worse (kind of like the storm)....perhaps I should have been able to predict it!

Just down on deck 4, looks like a war zone, passengers holding onto seat cushions since all the life vests are safely locked up in storage closets so that RC can fit more cabins on the ship! Metal railing on outside promenade is bent over. Water was pouring in they needed to close water tight doors. It was an interesting day but talk about a critical lapse in judgement by RC, they knew the storm was coming they told us to expect rough seas during the initial muster drill as we were leaving NY yesterday!

What do you mean ? Are there no life jackets in the cabins ?

Was that an official announcement, the disembarking?

As for the ceiling collapse...well, if it's just the decorate trim, that's not a biggie - it's cosmetic.

I remember when the crack happened on Grandeur the initial stories were that the entire running track deck had "collapsed" onto the pool deck when in reality (after all the hubub settled down) all that collapsed was the cosmetic trim. In the end it didn't even miss the next sailing and went some time before it was repaired - it was still there on our New Years cruise last year - I have pictures walking across it!

Until anything official is announced I think it's premature to assume anything. Surely after they're clear of the storm they'll sound the ship and make a decision at that point, but for cosmetic damage I highly doubt they'll cancel the entire cruise.

We were on the following GR cruise where we had more damage, but everything was cosmetic and didn't impact anything.

No one has reported that an announcement was actually made about debarking.

Edited by BND

If the roof collapsed on deck 14. Everyone should have been notified that we will be disembarking tomorrow so everyone can prepare to travel home. Poor communication on Royal's part

I think he meant that he/she was disembarking tomorrow. Not all the passengers.