Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Funny, Here's an article stating an investigation called to find out why these passengers lives were put in danger by sailing directly into a storm that had been predicted for at least 4 days previously. They predicted hurricane force winds on Saturday. That ship should have never left the doc. Whoever made that decision risked the lives of everyone on that ship. GMA is getting ready to talk about the investigation. Tune in!!!

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article59267248.html

I just swung by to confirm to you that nothing of significance has been announced.

I cringe to think what people may have found to post about in the last 24 pages since anything official was announced.

Yes, we are rocking some but, honestly, it is really not very much worse than any other sailing out of New Jersey/baltimore where you're getting through the Atlantic to the calmer southern seas.

The mood of the ship is good. Of course, we are disappointed that we are not able to complete our cruise, but there has been no outcry of "Not Fair". The guest services lines have in no way been inundated today, a sure sign that people are, for the most part, understanding of the situation.

The crew spent the day cleaning and repairing and will almost certainly continue to for the next few days. I assume that there will be a complete inspection of the ship's structure when we get back. The ship, however, does not feel stressed or out of kilter.

Clearly, I am not an expert. But, I do feel some sense of balance must be maintained given the prevelance in the media of quotes by "someone" who felt the need Sunday night to make incorrect pronouncements about our state as if they were official. Someone, who if I knew what they looked like and saw them on the ship, i would smack.

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to post live. I've appreciated the "inside look" at what's happening on the ship. It really does appear that most passengers are taking it in stride and making the best of the situation. I hope your seas improve for the rest of the trip!

You're kidding, right? I've never sailed out of New Jersey/baltimore but what does "not very much worse" mean? Does it mean only half as much furniture tossed about in piles on the decks? Does it mean passengers locked in their cabins for only 2 hours? Clearly, this situation was A LOT worse or they wouldn't have turned back to home port.

She wasn't talking about the storm. She was talking about the current conditions on the way back to NJ.

Whether"dry dock" officially or not, I have a hard time imagining Anthem will be ready for next Saturday's cruise. There seemed to be a lot of damage. Things like broken glass balconies and railings that are safety issues. Do you think they could get all those parts to NJ this week and complete those repairs by Saturday? It seems unlikely. I'd start making alternate plans if I were booked on that ship.

I'd be thinking too. As for the term "dry dock", it might have been a term used loosely instead of saying "repairs".

Not believing that. I don't think there's a dry dock in the area that can fit Anthem. Plus, according to corporate Twitter, her seaworthiness is fine, so things should be able to get fixed while docked in Bayonne.

My guess is even a crew member can misuse the term drydock. I could see here going to some non-cruise marine port for a week or two of repairs, but doubt they are taking her out of the water unless there was damage we haven't heard of yet.

Well. Al Roker just said on the Today Show, that the storm was on yhe forecast with the NWS warning coming out Thursday. His quote was "someone is going to have to be responsible." I dont know how much longer RCCL can keep saying it "was a freak storm" that "caught them by surprise." Especially now that every meteorologist in America is teling them that they're wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You're kidding, right? I've never sailed out of New Jersey/baltimore but what does "not very much worse" mean? Does it mean only half as much furniture tossed about in piles on the decks? Does it mean passengers locked in their cabins for only 2 hours? Clearly, this situation was A LOT worse or they wouldn't have turned back to home port.

She was referring to LAST night not Sunday night.

She meant the current weather. Having cruised out of NJ, NY and MD multiple times, the rocking is normal and we've had 30 foot waves with 80+mph winds on GR in March 2014 even though we were hundreds of miles from THREE low pressure systems that caused a snow storm in the mid-Atlantic and NE. No one was locked in their cabins during that storm either. They turned back to avoid another big storm (Not as big as the last one) and honestly, so they can repair the cosmetic damage.

You ought to try a cruise out of the NE, because then you'd know what real ocean sailing is like.

Well. Al Roker just said on the Today Show, that the storm was on yhe forecast with the NWS warning coming out Thursday. His quote was "someone is going to have to be responsible." I dont know how much longer RCCL can keep saying it "was a freak storm" that "caught them by surprise." Especially now that every meteorologist in America is teling them that they're wrong...

Now that Al has said it, RCCL will no doubt close up business every time there is a potential storm forecast by any meteorologist in the US.

The media isn't always truthful or accurate. Just sayin'.

i've sailed with captain claus before and would sail with him again. This thread has gotten beyond ridiculous with armchair meteorologists, lawyers, etc pointing fingers and talking woulda shoulda when you don't have a clue :rolleyes: It takes a real foolish person to believe the captain did all this on purpose jeopardizing all the lives including his own and his crew, the ship and everything else. Honestly, any and all accusations are pretty disgusting and you all should be ashamed!

Also i find disgusting, the media focusing on pics of furniture that was clearly laid down by the crew :rolleyes: Typical.

Thank you to everyone onboard who are actually there for your firsthand reports. Be safe and best wishes when you return to land with everything you have to deal with

i guess that tired ol cliche "a bad day on a cruise is still better than a good day on land" should finally be put to rest. Oh, wait. Who am i kidding?

ImageUploadedByForums1455022912.016609.jpg.22cab8cf479f76e752d8abefaf772016.jpg

Just curious -- has anyone had a cruise cancelled completely before?

Did they refund your money, or give you future credit or what?

It's hard to make alternate plans this late - ESP if they only delay a day or 2 - or don't delay at all -- you would lose your money if you cancelled now ...but at this point it's anyone's guess what will happen -

We are in a holding pattern..

We had a Celebrity cruise get cancelled about 3 & 1/2 weeks before our sail date when the ship had to go to an unscheduled drydock for an Azipod repair. We got a 100% refund and a future cruise credit good for 25% of what we had paid towards another cruise. My neighbors were scheduled to be on the sailing that was only a few days away. They received a 50% FCC. We were also reimbursed up to $200/person in airline change fees.

That said, unless there is hidden structural damage, I think you'll be surprised at how quickly the ship is repaired. By Saturday there will probably be few reminders of this week's storm.

Edited by Cindy

Now that Al has said it, RCCL will no doubt close up business every time there is a potential storm forecast by any meteorologist in the US.

The media isn't always truthful or accurate. Just sayin'.

Yes, the media isnt always truthful by forecasting a hurricane level storm and saying that the National Weather Service released a warning, WHICH THEY DID. AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT. There's literally proof everywhere that Royal Caribbean knew about the storm. It's not the media twisting things, it's you. Are you that in love with Royal Caribbean that you can't see something that obvious? Are you secretly Adam Goldstein or Richard Fain? Jeez, the point is clear. Royal Caribbean screwed up here and now they're gonna have to fix it. But I hear if they're gonna need a lawyer who will defend them come hell or high water (no pun intended) they'll call you.

:o Sorry to appear stupid but why are people saying Bayonne? Our cruise is going out of Cape Liberty, New Jersey on Anthem in 6 and a half weeks but there is no mention of Bayonne. :o

Cape Liberty is in Bayonne, New Jersey.

U.S. Senate has called for an NTSB investigation to find out why this ship was sailed directly into a storm that had been predicted for at least 4 days prior. Hurricane forced winds were reported on Saturday. That ship should have never left the dock. According to GMA this morning there are indeed passengers that feel the Captain put them in harms way when they knew about the upcoming storm and conditions.I really hope this Captain is removed before our cruise.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article59267248.html

Ok, make sense to me, my experience is limited up to 150 ft, Feadships, but back to the beginning, do you think somebody really drove the ship manually during the storm

or just plot the heading?

Absolutely. As I said, no autopilot can adequately predict what a particular sea will do, and the last thing you want is to be pushed into the trough (parallel to the waves) where you will be rolling horribly, and it will take maximum power, if possible, to turn back into the seas.

Yes, the media isnt always truthful by forecasting a hurricane level storm and saying that the National Weather Service released a warning, WHICH THEY DID. AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT. There's literally proof everywhere that Royal Caribbean knew about the storm. It's not the media twisting things, it's you. Are you that in love with Royal Caribbean that you can't see something that obvious? Are you secretly Adam Goldstein or Richard Fain? Jeez, the point is clear. Royal Caribbean screwed up here and now they're gonna have to fix it. But I hear if they're gonna need a lawyer who will defend them come hell or high water (no pun intended) they'll call you.

You will never to get most from this board to agree with you on this. Most here things Royal Caribbean can do no wrong, ever! This is serious stuff and all of the people on board the ship were put in a position they should have never been subject to! Those of us that have paid lots of $$$$ for a near future sailing on this ship should be very concerned.

Too bad scrambling trying to make plans to get home as taken up most of my day. I had to pay $500 for a new flight home on Wednesday (luckily my insurance will reimburse it). But no assistance from Guest Services with either the phone or anything else. They advised me to use the free internet to do what I needed to... Not helpful for contacting the insurance company.

The cost of the direct phone call to the insurance company is likely covered under your claim.

Best wishes for a good day today and the rest of your trip.

When has that ever stopped them? :rolleyes:;)

You know...you're probably right. :rolleyes: It would not surprise me one bit if the Senator pulls this off. I'm not sure to what end though. It's still not criminal and if there is anything civil, it would be between the passengers and RCI, not the government.

You know...you're probably right. :rolleyes: It would not surprise me one bit if the Senator pulls this off. I'm not sure to what end though. It's still not criminal and if there is anything civil, it would be between the passengers and RCI, not the government.

Publicity for the Senator.

SOG, speed over ground, can be different from SOW speed over water, I think he needed that speed for the stabilizers to work, is the interview at the time of the actual storm? my point is, what would have happen if the ship lost power so close to shore? Sorry, s...t happens don't work for me :(

Again, stabilizers lose effectiveness around 5 knots (speed through water), and the data given on the TV is speed over ground, from GPS. Even accounting for a few knots of additional speed through the water, stabilizers would not be that effective.

Haven't seen the track, as I say, my internet is limited here on the ship, so I don't know how "close to shore" they were, but one thing to consider. This ship is built far differently than the Carnival Triumph or Splendor. It is built to meet the IMO's Safe Return to Port standards. This means, that unlike the Triumph, the power generation and propulsion machinery are completely subdivided so that total loss of one engine room, or one propulsion motor room, can not affect the other spaces. Triumph had a fire in one engine room that burned the electrical cables coming from the other engine room. Anthem does not have these electrical cables from one engine room pass through the other. Total loss of power or total loss of propulsion becomes almost impossible. Plus, there are dual feeds to the propulsion motors (pods), so that if one engine room is lost, the other can power all of the pods (at reduced power).

Sure sounds like it was worse than what is being reported. Hope not but I guess we will find out when the ship gets back. Stay safe.