Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

I started this thread to try to let people know in as unbiased away possible what was happening onboard Anthem. I wanted to circumvent the wild unconfirmed reports and fearmongering that I knew was an inevitable part of this event.

I only reported official announcements. No wild speculation. I would occasionally mention my own observations. I never said people were not disappointed. I am sure that there arm chair captains onboard who are second guessing. I also know that the media tend to glom onto the most sensationalist reports. All I wanted was to try to be fair.

I shouldn't have bothered. This thread has, ultimately, disturbed me more than the storm. That was a force of nature. Much of this has been deliberate human maliciousness.

Goodbye, Cruise Critic.

Thank you for your efforts to get a true perspective of the situation out to all of us who were truly curious and concerned. Unfortunately the views and comments of some here represent a very clear look into how the world is expected to operate... In the end, it is a learning experience, a freak of nature yet hopefully an event that you all will someday share with your grand children.

Apologies for how this has turned out.

Satisfaction is a feeling that requires one to know what they actually expect and not to change those expectations based on some model of how things "should" be.

convince new cruiser or current to take a cruise on board the newest ship under an irresponsible captain and company that took a ship directly to a storm

You need to get some things straight, before you place blame.. Mother Nature is to blame, Captain did a great job.

"I'll take What Is Wrong With Society Today for $1000, Alex"

So horrible.

Ha Ha Ha! That was perfect.

Yogimax, MM was on the 1-15 sailing, so I assume with her lots of time of cruise ships history talked to Abe and he told her these things.

JC

Someone here asked about the robots... I'm onboard now and the robotic bar was working last night, as were the robot screens in 270! :) Spectra's Cabaret and We Will Rock You each did 2 shows last night!

Damage to iFly with a broken door as per activities staff, and North Star isn't running (not sure if that's precautionary or because of damage).

Funny, Here's an article stating an investigation called to find out why these passengers lives were put in danger by sailing directly into a storm that had been predicted for at least 4 days previously. They predicted hurricane force winds on Saturday. That ship should have never left the doc. Whoever made that decision risked the lives of everyone on that ship. GMA is getting ready to talk about the investigation. Tune in!!!

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article59267248.html

Having read countless posts in several threads about this weather incident aboard Anthem I have come to just one irrefutable conclusion.

There is a certain percentage of people who really have no business going on a cruise ship, or any ship for that matter.

I have certainly read some intelligent, lucid, well-informed responses, but also many rife with ignorance and misinformation. The above quote is just one of many that falls into the latter category. The author of which is among the category of those who should stay off of ships.

Thanks everyone. Obviously we are mostly glad that people are being cautious and safety is most important- but this was supposed to be our first big family vacation. My husband and I are both teachers, so our vacation time isn't very flexible- we were so thrilled to find this cruise that fit perfectly into our winter break.

If they cancel, we will have to wait a long time to book again.

Considering driving to Florida if things do end up getting cancelled... Not ideal but can't get a flight with this little time.

If that happens hopefully you'll get a refund and maybe you can find a last minute cruise out of Florida for a decent price.

Prediction with timeline;

1) ship will need to go into dry dock for hull inspection (Freeport Bahamas) , cancel next 2-3 sailings for repairs, restocking. Next 3-4 days

2) Capt. Andersen - will be fired by next week

3) First law suit for pain & suffering, mental trauma (PTSD) will be filed within 2 weeks (class action)

Edited by Golfin55

Very scary, but I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your cruise:)

Are you serious? Chugging back to their embarkation port, I believe. I would imagine everybody is pretty well subdued at this point.

It will be interesting to find out "what did they know and when did they know it" regarding the strength of the weather system.

Yes. And notwithstanding what a great job the captain may have done during the storm, the fact that they decided to try to "weather" or outrace the storm in the first place puts him in a bad light. Or perhaps it wasn't his decision, but a corporate one. A decision to optimize revenue, obviously. Didn't quite work out that way, did it?

The next rumor will be that Anthem is skipping dry dock, and will go directly to the scrapyard! :rolleyes:;)

Nah, they'll put it up for sale on Craigslist. "Ran when parked, some water damage to carpet." :D

But, I predict that the ship will sail as scheduled on Saturday. Freedom had that fire a couple of months ago & did not miss any sailings.

Edited by juiceman

North Star isn't running (not sure if that's precautionary or because of damage).

I'm thinking that's likely because of rough seas which is pretty well standard procedure when that is happening. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

Prediction with timeline;

1) ship will need to go into dry dock for hull inspection (Freeport Bahamas) , cancel next 2-3 sailings for repairs, restocking. Next 3-4 days

2) Capt. Andersen - will be fired by next week

3) First law suit for pain & suffering, mental trauma (PTSD) will be filed within 2 weeks (class action)

This is a ship designed for ocean travel. A storm does not require a dry dock. The Captain did what he was paid to do. Brought the ship and passengers through safely. If you take a sea voyage you should not be surprised by a storm. As far as lawyers are concerned, they will meet the ship in NJ to get their blood money.

No dry dock?

No, why should there be one?

Any bottom / lower hull inspection can be accomplished by divers.

I am sure the hull is fine.

QE2 did not go into dry dock after she was hit by a 100' wave right on the bow in 1995, so why does Anthem need a dry dock?

Even though a cruise ship and not an ocean liner, I think you discount just how well these ships are still built to take the extremes of weather.