Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

The captain said on first day that there is a potential big storm but we will try to out run it but if we don't we will get 75 mph winds. So while he may not have expected 160mph. 75mph winds Doesn't sound very cautious to me.

75 mph winds? Been there done that. You deal with it, and so can the ship. I agree with the captain. Obviously 150 mph is another story, and I do not feel the captain saw the potential for that, and once they began to develop there was no escaping it. Anthem is just not that fast.

You Monday morning Quarterback's should stick to second guessing the Panther's playcalling.

You have no idea what information the ship had on this system.

Believe it or not- some storms are unavoidable. Also, sometimes conditions change. Sometimes it is for the better, and sometimes they deteriorate. If they were given information about the storm and it predicted 50 knot winds and they intensified, that is not the fault of the Captain.

Sure- you may be D+members or whatever but you're not a master mariner with YEARS at sea nor do you have the same information they had.

Before you call for the Captain to walk the plank perhaps you should know all the facts.

Well stated!

This is why I hate the saying "a bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good day on land" :(. People that say that have never been on a cruise like this and I bet everyone on Anthem would disagree with that right now.

Hold on, stay safe and you all are in my thoughts. Hopes for calmer seas soon!

yes Ryano, i have said this so many times. Extreme bad weather like this , or the Triumph ordeal a couple years ago. I would much rather be on land, even at work than to be on a ship during these conditions

The more I think about it I see this cruise ending in the next port. Just to repair the damage, restock needed supplies, get the injured off, as well as any guests who do not want to sail anymore. There is also a review of the ships safety mechanisms and repairs that will be needed.

I'd like to think it can be done in under a week wothout effecting two sailings but who knows??? It sounds like there is a lot of internal damage to common areas and who really knows about the outer decks, not to mention crew areas, kitchen, etc.

I wonder how long it will take for the scummy lawyer to appear.:rolleyes:

Edited by A&L_Ont

I really think this storm took a turn for the worst very fast. They would have never started a 2 hour "We Will Rock You" only to cancel it 30 minutes later.

On the January 15th cruise, they were constantly rescheduling the shows due to weather, and seas were nowhere as bad as this.

Deck 8 port side here. The injured Wookie sound perfectly nails the hangar noise. Our balcony separator also broke free but after flapping for hours it wedged shut. All our toiletries went into the sink to keep them stationary. No food but at least we have Internet and the Super Bowl. Given what's NOT being said, I have a feeling they might skip Canaveral at best, but hopefully not cut the cruise short. After 26+ foot waves and 130-knot winds, who knows...

I think Canaveral is where you will be as soon as possible.

The more I think about it I see this cruise ending in the next port. Just to repair the damage, restock needed supplies, get the injured off, as well as any guests who do not want to sail anymore. There is also a review of the ships safety mechanisms and repairs that will be needed.

I'd like to think it can be done in under a week wothout effecting two sailings but who knows??? It sounds like there is a lot of internal damage to common areas and who really knows about the outer decks, not to mention crew areas, kitchen, etc.

I wonder how long it will take for the scummy lawyer to appear.

So true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a few pages on fb that say they are the anthem page...couldnt find the right one.

I posted a link a several pages back, just after the poster you quoted. But, here it is again.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anthem-of-the-Seas-Royal-Caribbean/855327494582409?fref=ts

On the left side is photos, click on one and scroll through them.

Because weather can be unpredictable. Particularly weather on the Atlantic ocean.

Seems this was not predicted, and no equipment short of a crystal ball can predict anything and everything to do with ocean weather with 100% accuracy.

100% correct.

Even with on board weather radar, forecasts, etc. we once flew into a brewing thunderstorm. Obviously I am here to talk about it!

Never, never assume that all our modern technology can predict everything about mother nature. Things can change in minutes.

If the damage is a serious as some on board tend to think, I wonder if the ship stays longer at its next port for resupplies of broken goods and such and more importantly structural repairs that need to be made.

We'll be disembarking tomorrow, ship is too damaged to continue. Ceiling collapsed on deck 14.

I'm kinda at a loss as far as trying to understand how in this modern age that a cruise liner can get caught up in the teeth of a raging storm like this.

The NWS, using all of the technology available to it, gives ample warnings to all, including transportation companies, about these storms. These ships come equipped with radar, satellite receivers, etc. so it's hard to plead ignorance here....

I wonder if RCI employs any meteorologists, or if they just monitor the weather reports?

Think about it for a second. Weather changes direction all the time. How many hurricane forecast have you seen that expect land fall in one place and it either hits in a different place or goes out to sea. Yes, we have good technology. But nature is nature and we cannot control it.

We'll be disembarking tomorrow, ship is too damaged to continue. Ceiling collapsed on deck 14.

Oh no. I am not sure if I should be sad or happy for everyone onboard. I am sure many just want off the ship - so for them I am happy. But there may be some that just want to continue their vacation - so for them I am sad.

You Monday morning Quarterback's should stick to second guessing the Panther's playcalling.

Believe it or not- some storms are unavoidable. Also, sometimes conditions change. Sometimes it is for the better, and sometimes they deteriorate. If they were given information about the storm and it predicted 50 knot winds and they intensified, that is not the fault of the Captain.

Sure- you may be D+members or whatever but you're not a master mariner with YEARS at sea nor do you have the same information they had.

Before you call for the Captain to walk the plank perhaps you should know all the facts.

I completely agree!!!

Wow, but better and upper deck than one below water.

Whatever happens, I wish all of you on board the best. It would have been one hell of a ride. We sailed through Hurricane Sandy, and had 30 footers for the night, but compared to what you went through our experience was a walk in the park.

I am trying to avoid negative thoughts on the captain or royal's judgment here since all i can think about right now is getting through this.

But that said... Please everyone bookmark this thread so that next time you see someone complain about missing a port or being behind schedule due to weather, you can point to what happens when you actually do go through a "hurricane strength" storm. Then ask them, "would you rather go through 10 hours of helpless horror and real, true risks? Or would you rather miss the port?"

Totally agree...great post !

Well I know the captain sounded terrified on the intercom (several people have it on tape) and at least 2 people suffered heart attacks so you can tell their families that the capital didn't know (with all the aide of the electronics on board this $1.2 Billion dollar ship). The captain warned us of bad weather yesterday during the life boat drill as we were leaving NY. So yes he knew and took a calculated risk with our lives.