Stockholm 2016 information and advise

I don't know about the time tables for the HoHo buses and I would advise against using them.

They are an expensive and very time consuming way of getting around.

From your ship to Vasa in the morning you are better off using the HoHo boats (drops you off at Vasa) or the harbour ferry Emelie (drops you off at Allmänna gränd).

See the first post and the last couple of pages for more info. A bus can easily get stuck in traffic and etc while the boats/ferry just cruises straight to Djurgården.

Edited by Desdichado62

I don't know about the time tables for the HoHo buses and I would advise against using them.

They are an expensive and very time consuming way of getting around.

From your ship to Vasa in the morning you are better off using the HoHo boats (drops you off at Vasa) or the harbour ferry Emelie (drops you off at Allmänna gränd).

See the first post and the last couple of pages for more info. A bus can easily get stuck in traffic and etc while the boats/ferry just cruises straight to Djurgården.

I agree with you. I am just imagining all those cruise passengers taking the Hoho Buses specially when everybody trying to get to the ship all at the same time.

To amplify what is said above: Stockholm has the worst taxi scam that I've encountered anywhere in the developed world. They can charge anything they like as long as it is posted on the yellow sticker, and you have to pay up. The sticker should say something like 300, but the ones that prey on tourists have numbers like 9000. They wait at popular places like the Vasa museum for unsuspecting tourists who don't know what to look for.

So have your hotel call one of the reputable companies, or read that yellow sticker very carefully.

To amplify what is said above: Stockholm has the worst taxi scam that I've encountered anywhere in the developed world. They can charge anything they like as long as it is posted on the yellow sticker, and you have to pay up. The sticker should say something like 300, but the ones that prey on tourists have numbers like 9000. They wait at popular places like the Vasa museum for unsuspecting tourists who don't know what to look for.

So have your hotel call one of the reputable companies, or read that yellow sticker very carefully.

I just had all my trips quoted by Taxi Stockholm. From Port to Vasa to Gamla Stan to port. It totaled around 900SEK for party of 4. It is set and have given the time on when we are going to be picked on each places.

Thank you for the warning, I will cross my fingers and hope that they honor my booking.

Thank you for the warning, I will cross my fingers and hope that they honor my booking.

You shouldn't have a problem: the reputable companies are ...reputable.

What's galling about the scammers is that you don't suspect it in a developed country. In India, Russia, and so on you know you have to do one-on-one rug-merchant negotiation, but you assume that developed countries have regulations to protect the consumer.

My understanding is that Stockholm used to have such regulations, but the taxi service was poor and expensive, so they deregulated in the hope of improving things. It might have been effective for residents who know the system, but tourists are vulnerable.

Edited by someotherguy
typos

You shouldn't have a problem: the reputable companies are ...reputable.

What's galling about the scammers is that you don't suspect it in a developed country. In India, Russia, and so on you know you have to do one on one negotiation, but you assume that developed countries have regulations to protect the consumer.

My understanding is that Stockholm used to have such regulations, but the taxi service was poor and expensive, so they deregulated in the hope of improving things. It might have been effective for residents who know the system, but tourists are vulnerable.

desdichado said at the beginning of this thread to just use the 3 companies that he mentioned and that's what I did when i booked.

I am so sorry regarding your experience. Thank you for the warning and ensuring nobody will experience the same as you did.

Eeyoredagreat, 900SEK from Port to Vasa with Taxi Stockholm doesn't sound right. It should have been around one third of that price.

Are you really sure that it was Taxi Stockholm? There are imposters that try to make their cars look like they are from one of the reputable companies.

Eeyoredagreat, 900SEK from Port to Vasa with Taxi Stockholm doesn't sound right. It should have been around one third of that price.

Are you really sure that it was Taxi Stockholm? There are imposters that try to make their cars look like they are from one of the reputable companies.

Here is what they quoted me for party of 11:

Stadsgårdskajen kajplats 167 à Vasamueum

- For the smaller car will a fixed price at 200 SEK be put in the car and for the bigger car will approximately the price be 250 SEK be put in the car.

Vasamuseum à Gamla stan; subway station at Munkbrogatan 6 - the beginning of the old town.

- For the smaller car will a fixed price at 155 SEK be put in the car and for the bigger car will approximately the price be 250 SEK be put in the car.

Gamla stan; subway station at Munkbrogatan 6 - the beginning of the old town à Stadsgårdskajen kajplats 167

- For the smaller car will a fixed price at 150 SEK be put in the car and for the bigger car will approximately the price be 250 SEK be put in the car.

I think it was pretty reasonable. I wouldn't take the taxi if it was just party of two but since we are a big group it makes sense.

Please let me know how I could go from Jarntoget, near the Slussen Ferry Quay, to Fjlallgatan?

What would be the least walking route, via bus or metro?

Is the cliff very high?

Thank you so much.

Please let me know how I could go from Jarntoget, near the Slussen Ferry Quay, to Fjlallgatan?

What would be the least walking route, via bus or metro?

Is the cliff very high?

Thank you so much.

bus #53 from Räntmästartrappan (located on Skeppsbron)

towards Henriksdalsberget/Finnberget.

Get off at Glasbruksgatan stop (located on Katarinavägen), walk along the road to Fjällgatan.

The cliff is high yes: Stadsgårdsleden https://goo.gl/maps/r2npBiVEY6Q2

Also note that you CANNOT buy bus tickets on the bus, you need to do that before boarding the bus.

Edited by Desdichado62

My ship, the Pacific Princess, is scheduled to dock at S167 STADSGÅRDEN in Stockholm on July 5, 2016. I was set to purchase 24 hour tickets on the Stromma HOHO Sightseeing Boat, but I noticed this on their website: "Departures 30 April – 4 September 2016

Daily tours 10:00-17:00, every 20-30 minutes."

Since we'll only be docked from 7AM - 2PM, that wouldn't work very well. Then I read elsewhere that the boats might run earlier than scheduled when cruise ships are in port. Can I count on the HOHO boats starting by 8 or 9 AM or must I plan on taking the ferry? I know the ferry will take us where we most want to go (Gamla Stan and Allmanna grand for Vasa) but we'd sort of like to experience the boat sightseeing tour as well.

islandwoman, I don't know if it is a 100% certainty that there will be HoHo boats waiting for the cruise ships that berths at S167,

just that it have been so before.

If I remember it correctly some fellow cc member had asked the two HoHO boat companies and one had replied that they would stick with their 10am start and the

other had replied that they would have boats readyat the cruise ship when it arrived. Possible that post could be somewhere in last year's thread.

So I would suggest that you hold up on that decision for a while.

Just be aware that the HoHo boats that goes in the morning (if they go), goes direct to Vasa and does not do the full tour until the regular schedule starts at 10.00.

Edited by Desdichado62

Sweden had another royal birth tonight. Prince Carl Philip and his wife Princess Sofia became parents to a little boy.

Anyway, like with the recently born Prince Oscar, this baby needs to be baptised/christened so I would expect such a ceremony in the end of June or sometime

in beginning of July, which likely will mean limited or no access to parts of the Royal Palace and the Royal Chapel.

Edited by Desdichado62

Hi All,

We arrive in Stockholm at Stadsgarden S167 on May 31st 2016 8am - 4pm, and were planning to visit the Vasa Museum first.

However the opening time for Vasa on the 31st is 10am with the 8.30am opening times staring on 1st June. Just our bad luck!!

I am thinking it may still be best to go direct to Vasa using either ferries mentioned in previous post and then visit Gamla Stan afterwards.

As we will have a bit of time before the museum opens, does anyone know what we could also see that is close to the Museum, and still ensuring we are at the Vasa right on opening time.

And also what is the best method of getting to Gamla Stan from the Vasa Museum.

All input and suggestion would be most welcome.

Thanks

KazaKat

Desdichado,

I visited Stockholm last week and noticed there was a marine officers union strike going on so that most of the archipelago boats including the Djurgården ferries were docked. I wonder if the strike might go on into the tourist season and perhaps effect the hoho boats as well? Do you got any further info about the situation?

Regarding the strike, Djurgården ferries are currently stopped, Strömmas's HoHo boat are supposed to be take out of traffic but Strömma have disregarded the strike and have continued to have their HoHo boats in traffic.

For Waxholmsbolaget see this: http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/

M/S Emelie harbour ferry is not affected and I don't know about the Red sightseeing boats. I also don't know how long how long the strike will be ongoing maybe another week or two?

Kazakat, I'd say the best way is in this order:

1. the Djugården ferries

2. public bus (requires pre-bough tickets)

3. HoHo boats

Regarding the second baptising, from what I've heard it is likely to be held in the second half of the summer, like towards the end of july.

Edited by Desdichado62

Regarding the strike, Djurgården ferries are currently stopped, Strömmas's HoHo boat are supposed to be take out of traffic but Strömma have disregarded the strike and have continued to have their HoHo boats in traffic.

For Waxholmsbolaget see this: http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/

M/S Emelie harbour ferry is not affected and I don't know about the Red sightseeing boats. I also don't know how long how long the strike will be ongoing maybe another week or two?

Kazakat, I'd say the best way is in this order:

1. the Djugården ferries

2. public bus (requires pre-bough tickets)

3. HoHo boats

Regarding the second baptising, from what I've heard it is likely to be held in the second half of the summer, like towards the end of july.

Thanks for your reply Desdichado62, I appreciate your input and all the information you post on Stockholm. It is a great resource for visitors to Stockholm.