Cruise Insurance? What is a good price?

WaterGirlCruiser

There are tons of threads out there on what's happened with the Anthem, which until now I've never bought insurance for our cruises, just winged it and hoped for the best, but have become increasingly in tune with just how important it may be, never knowing what may happen.... I don't know exactly what's happened with people's flights on that cruise; if Rccl is taking care of that financially for folks or only those with insurance, but I can see how you could rack up several hundreds of dollars, and, well we live on a budget so for our family could be financially difficult to be in such a situation....

So, what kind of coverage do you need? How do you know if your covering all you may need? Just how costly is it? Where not to get it? I would love to hear from seasoned cruisers on what they do about insurance. I no longer feel is very smart to travel without insurance.

I've read in some news articles already that some cruisers filed claims for the huge inconvenience with return flights for this last one with anthem, and they got NOTHING. I've also heard this on another source.

Frankly, I find cruise insurance a massive waste of cash. Did it on our first cruise, but thereafter, didn't bother with it.

Now watch, something WILL happen on our next cruise, and I'll be eating crow.

thanks guys.... Bob do you get cruise insurance every time, and which one do you favor more of the ones you sent me to look at? Do you ever go through Royal? Is there anything specific I need to make sure to look for when looking around? I appreciate all the help here.... Hoping we can find something very reasonable...

I would second Tripinsureancestore.com quoted above. Steve Dasseos (owner) took a tremendous amount of time with me a few years back explaining all the ins and outs of purchasing trip insurance. He even went over my current medical insurance policy to see what I did (and more importantly, did/not) need coverage for. Since then, I have purchased insurance through them nearly a dozen times. Even had a cancel one trip and use the insurance. All very positive experiences. Highly recommend.

I've read in some news articles already that some cruisers filed claims for the huge inconvenience with return flights for this last one with anthem, and they got NOTHING. I've also heard this on another source.

Frankly, I find cruise insurance a massive waste of cash. Did it on our first cruise, but thereafter, didn't bother with it.

Up until right now, I agree about insurance.

But we need it now for a little while as aging parent issues, well.....

Then we will stop until a more probable issue raises its head.

thanks guys.... Bob do you get cruise insurance every time, and which one do you favor more of the ones you sent me to look at? Do you ever go through Royal? Is there anything specific I need to make sure to look for when looking around? I appreciate all the help here.... Hoping we can find something very reasonable...

I get insurance every time. I use Travel Guard, which my travel agent recommends and sells.

I don't go through Royal because I am not comfortable with their coverage limit for emergency evacuation. However, one advantage of Royal's insurance is that it's not based on age, so it can be significantly less expensive as you get older.

I get insurance every time. I use Travel Guard, which my travel agent recommends and sells.

I don't go through Royal because I am not comfortable with their coverage limit for emergency evacuation. However, one advantage of Royal's insurance is that it's not based on age, so it can be significantly less expensive as you get older.

Can you get travel guard independently or only through a travel agent, which we don't have for cruise we are going on, and it's too late to transfer to a TA. THANKS Bob

I would second Tripinsureancestore.com quoted above. Steve Dasseos (owner) took a tremendous amount of time with me a few years back explaining all the ins and outs of purchasing trip insurance. He even went over my current medical insurance policy to see what I did (and more importantly, did/not) need coverage for. Since then, I have purchased insurance through them nearly a dozen times. Even had a cancel one trip and use the insurance. All very positive experiences. Highly recommend.

Are there different tiers of policies with trip insurance Store?

I heard someone say you should get insurance from the time you set out for your trip, not just once you get on ship ???

Turns out - one cruiser who sailed on Anthem called their travel insurance company and spent 20 minutes on the phone trying to see if their situation counts as a trip interruption - and NO, it did NOT.

This is a terrible example to go by, and once she tells me the name of the company - this is one to avoid! I hope the cruiser takes their case up higher, THIS is ridiculous because I cannot imagine a more perfect example of a travel interruption than what happened on Anthem.

This company - whoever they are - are involved in ripping folk off.

Edited by johnjen

Can you get travel guard independently or only through a travel agent, which we don't have for cruise we are going on, and it's too late to transfer to a TA. THANKS Bob

Yes, you can purchase Travel Guard on your own, either by calling their knowledgeable reps (800-826-4919) or on travelguard dot com. I have always purchased a Travel Guard (Gold) policy, and have decades of excellent experience with them. Good news for families- children who are 17 and under and traveling with you are covered at no additional cost (excludes NY).

I heard someone say you should get insurance from the time you set out for your trip, not just once you get on ship ???

Absolutely. A few examples: having an accident on the way to the airport, or the poor CC member on a cruise out of Florida that was hit by a bicyclist and injured during her pre-cruise stay. Peace of mind for lots of unforeseen things. The average premium is likely 6 to 8% of your trip cost.

Edited by jmf123

Are there different tiers of policies with trip insurance Store?

We always purchase travel insurance that covers us from the time we leave our house to the time we return.

Would highly recommend tripinsurancestore because Steve and his staff work with you to get the coverage you need for your own particular situation.

So, what kind of coverage do you need? How do you know if your covering all you may need? Just how costly is it? Where not to get it? I would love to hear from seasoned cruisers on what they do about insurance. I no longer feel is very smart to travel without insurance.

There are MANY ins and outs to buying travel insurance. And everything depends on your needs. Generalities and opinions aren't neccesarily what you need. Call the insurance brokers mentioned and/or use their websites for the basics. Don't waste your money buying something that won't fit your needs if indeed you run into a problem. Get help.

You need to find out about your medical coverage and if it covers you where you are traveling. You need to consider anyone left at home who might have health issues that you'd need to return home for. Do you or other travelers have any preexisting conditions that could cause cancellation, or interruption? WHERE are you traveling? Does that place/s have good modern hospitals and medical care? Just some of the questions you'll need to answer before even starting to shop around.;)

You can choose to take a risk with sunk costs - that is, money you have already spent. If something goes wrong, you lose the money, but it doesn't change your life. I wouldn't take that risk (but then, UK insurance is much cheaper than US), but it's your choice.

Where you shouldn't take a risk is on unlimited future costs - ie. medical. If you have a heart attack - and people do - you need insurance. If you don't have insurance, be it travel insurance or your normal personal health insurance, then you have a huge bill - and that might change your life.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Reviews.com has info on travel insurance too:

http://www.reviews.com/travel-insurance/cheap/

Does anyone know if cruises out of the north east ports are interrupted in the winter time due to weather? Anthem is an anomaly but snow is common.

If the ship sails regardless, we/passenger worry about the flight or drive into the port which would be covered by travel insurance.

To OP,

Please understand that travel insurance is reimbursement only.

You need to change flights, need hotel rooms, need new 1 way flights, need meals,,,, all this comes out of your pocket. Then, when you finally get back home, you file a claim for reimbursement.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is like a roulette wheel probability! All it takes is one time to realize that....that wheel can stop on your number and you are out thousands. The cruise company as the "house" are the winners at your loss. Do not think they will show mercy either.....they hold the contract that you put your $$$ on.

We thought as you until we hit our mid 40's. My husbands mother was put on life support and the rest is history and a learning lesson.

There are tons of threads out there on what's happened with the Anthem, which until now I've never bought insurance for our cruises, just winged it and hoped for the best, but have become increasingly in tune with just how important it may be, never knowing what may happen.... I don't know exactly what's happened with people's flights on that cruise; if Rccl is taking care of that financially for folks or only those with insurance, but I can see how you could rack up several hundreds of dollars, and, well we live on a budget so for our family could be financially difficult to be in such a situation....

Travelex is one of the few "primary payer" comprehensive travel/medical plans. We use their "Select Traveler" in conjunction with a

Medicare supplement that converts to "basic med" outside of the US. Also, have United Airlines Explorer VISA, which covers travel related purchases made with the card (e.g., air tix). Select runs about 8-10% of cabin cost.

We always purchase travel insurance that covers us from the time we leave our house to the time we return.

Would highly recommend tripinsurancestore because Steve and his staff work with you to get the coverage you need for your own particular situation.

Hi, how are you sure of that before your purchase? I always buy insurance, but over time and learning more and more about what to buy versus what not to buy. for the next time I want to make sure I am covered door to door.

Hi, how are you sure of that before your purchase? I always buy insurance, but over time and learning more and more about what to buy versus what not to buy. for the next time I want to make sure I am covered door to door.

The dates of your entire trip determine coverage.

If you cruise is from the 4th to the 11th and you only cover the 4th to the 11th then only the cruise is covered.

If you're driving or fly down 3 days early then staying another day post cruise and want portal to portal coverage, your trip dates would be the 1st to the 12th

The dates of your entire trip determine coverage.

If you cruise is from the 4th to the 11th and you only cover the 4th to the 11th then only the cruise is covered.

If you're driving or fly down 3 days early then staying another day post cruise and want portal to portal coverage, your trip dates would be the 1st to the 12th

klfrodo explained it perfectly....thanks;).

It *seemed* that simple to me, but after seeing the screwing Anthem pax got I wonder how it works if you drive to port and want truly "door to door" coverage. I just don't want to ever be in a situation where a ship is able to return to home port but I've been shorted.