Embarkation times

smileon

Now if only they would get the entertainment sorted and bookable everyone on our 22 April thread would be happy bunnies.

Except that some of us are unhappy about having to book everything in advance!! :D

Except that some of us are unhappy about having to book everything in advance!! :D

That includes me. I have posted several times on our sailing thread that I hate the idea of having to pre-book dining and shows. However, for me, part of the cruising experience is going to a show each night and from what I've read on here, due to the ever increasing ship size, not everyone can get to see the show and it is advisable to pre-book to guarantee an entry. I don't like it but that seems to be the way the industry is moving, unfortunately.

This will probably be our first and last time on one of these humungous ships. I'll probably stick to X in future.

Yes, the idea that 'dynamic dining' requires one to book tables 6 weeks ahead of the cruise (and, even then, we could only get very early or very late) is - to my way of thinking - ludicrous. Then we have to try and book the shows, which might not tie up with the tables we have booked.

It certainly takes away a large element of flexibility, something that is important to us (and, I would imagine, other people with medical conditions that might mean they are fatigued today and want an early dinner and early night. Or, conversely, a 'disco nap' mid-afternoon followed by show and late dinner). It adds a degree of 'pressure' that I don't want on holiday :(

Hubby has long wanted to try RCI and even he is worrying that we have made a bad decision! I don't think we will have a 'bad' time - we will still be on a cruise after all! - but it will take a very special experience onboard to persuade us to go with them again.

That includes me. I have posted several times on our sailing thread that I hate the idea of having to pre-book dining and shows. However, for me, part of the cruising experience is going to a show each night and from what I've read on here, due to the ever increasing ship size, not everyone can get to see the show and it is advisable to pre-book to guarantee an entry. I don't like it but that seems to be the way the industry is moving, unfortunately.

This will probably be our first and last time on one of these humungous ships. I'll probably stick to X in future.

Yes, the idea that 'dynamic dining' requires one to book tables 6 weeks ahead of the cruise (and, even then, we could only get very early or very late) is - to my way of thinking - ludicrous. Then we have to try and book the shows, which might not tie up with the tables we have booked.

It certainly takes away a large element of flexibility, something that is important to us (and, I would imagine, other people with medical conditions that might mean they are fatigued today and want an early dinner and early night. Or, conversely, a 'disco nap' mid-afternoon followed by show and late dinner). It adds a degree of 'pressure' that I don't want on holiday :(

Hubby has long wanted to try RCI and even he is worrying that we have made a bad decision! I don't think we will have a 'bad' time - we will still be on a cruise after all! - but it will take a very special experience onboard to persuade us to go with them again.

Dynamic Dining is only on Quantum Ships, one is in China year round, one is in New Jersey year round and the third, Ovation has a few short UK trips this spring and is off the China as well. The rest of the fleet including the two ships doing ex UK departures this summer retain club dining with a mytime dining option so no need to pre book meal times at all.

We pre booked all our dining times and show times on Anthem last year and it worked extremely well. If there were nights we wanted to switch our dining time or venue we did with ease. The only shows you needed to precook were the big name shows, 'We will rock you', and two production shows. Every other theatre night was open to everyone without the need to book. I definitely prefer to prebook and secure a theatre seat for the big shows rather than endure the bum fight on Britannia where the theatre has a relatively low capacity meaning we needed to be in there 45 mins early for the headliners shows. On Azura a few years back we were leaving the early show at 7.45 and the queue for the 8.30 show snaked back through the Glasshouse. Surely having a booking is preferable?

You don't have to pre book everything. I only booked one dinner in advance on Anthem and the same on Ovation. The first night in Grande as the dress code doesn't apply then. The rest of the time I just rocked up when I felt like eating. As for booking the shows, again you don't have to, you can turn up 15/20 minutes early and they'll start letting folks in. Stop fretting and enjoy the cruise. RCI is a great line.

You don't have to pre book everything. I only booked one dinner in advance on Anthem and the same on Ovation. The first night in Grande as the dress code doesn't apply then. The rest of the time I just rocked up when I felt like eating. As for booking the shows, again you don't have to, you can turn up 15/20 minutes early and they'll start letting folks in. Stop fretting and enjoy the cruise. RCI is a great line.

Thank you :)

Do you get an option as to what time you would like to board? I'm reading above about a 'set sail pass' - not sure if this is P&O or another line. Do we know how the boarding time is worked out, by deck, by grade of cabin etc? Thanks

Nno - i m afraid you cant chose your boarding time...this thread got a bit highjacked onto RCI boarding arrangements..... (Set sail pass is nothing to do with P &O).

Rumour has it the boarding times are partly worked out by deck...bit I dont think anyone has actually cracked the code yet! Sorry I cant help further...

Nno - i m afraid you cant chose your boarding time...this thread got a bit highjacked onto RCI boarding arrangements..... (Set sail pass is nothing to do with P &O).

Rumour has it the boarding times are partly worked out by deck...bit I dont think anyone has actually cracked the code yet! Sorry I cant help further...

That may have been my fault, sorry:(

I was commenting on the fact that all cruiselines out of Southampton seem to be adopting a staggered boarding time approach but the discussion seemed to have widened due to my impending RCI cruise.

The difference is that P & O decide your time for you whereas RCI give you a choice. Having been on Ventura in December under the new arrangements, I was a little apprehensive as I am used to arriving at around noon, getting onboard and heading to the buffet. However, we were given a boarding time of 3pm, but the whole process was pretty smooth. We ended up boarding at around 2.20 having arrived at the port at 1.40.

We were told by P&O that boarding times are strictly by deck and we do have the same time as someone else on the same deck on a different cruise. I'm not sure if this is the only criteria though. We go in a couple of weeks so will see how it goes, as it will be our first time under the new system.

Thanks everyone, I'm on deck 2 so assume I will be late boarding.. What deck/time do you have Cruise_lover? I'm going to book my parking this week so it's just for an idea of time to book car in, was going for about 1.30

I would not be so sure it will be late. They do not start at the top like some lines so your deck could be first.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on C (10) deck in December and we are on C (10) again next week and have been given 15:30 boarding both times, we were not too bothered in December because we went on a coach to Southampton but next week we are driving down so we are more concerned. We will see how it goes this time before we decide what we will do in the future.

We were on C (10) deck in December and we are on C (10) again next week and have been given 15:30 boarding both times, we were not too bothered in December because we went on a coach to Southampton but next week we are driving down so we are more concerned. We will see how it goes this time before we decide what we will do in the future.

Josy1953, we were on C deck in December with an arrival time of 3.30. As we were driving and subject to the possibility of traffic delays we set off early (10.00 for a 2 hour trip). Allowing for a stop en route, we arrived at the port at around 1.30 parked the car and collected a checkin letter. The lettered groups were being called every 10 mins or so and we checked in around 2.20 and through security by 2.35 nearly an hour before our due time.

These are the boarding times we were given last October for Azura if they are of any help. The notification came direct from P&O.

Unfortunately, for this cruise we are experiencing some issues with the system which prints the E-tickets which means for some of you, your arrival time may not be showing. Please arrive according to these times which are allocated by deck as follows:

Suites & Ligurian 12:30

Lido (15) 13:00

Riviera (14) 15:30

A (12) 15:00

B (11) 14:30

C (10) 15:30

D (9) 15:00

E (8) 13:30

F (6) 13:00

P (5) 13:00

Other 15:45

Please disregard if you are arriving by coach as your coach arrival time will over ride these timings.

We look forward to welcoming you on board Azura very soon.

You know, I think the set arrival times is this years Vantage Fare/Select Fare issue. Something P&O dabble with then abandon as a bad idea. As someone used to easy, any time boarding, professionally managed by Celebrity and Royal Caribbean the idea of being made to arrive as late as 3.30 just makes me chuckle. Those agreeing to it and even saying it's not an issue just allows P&O to manipulate passengers even further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've booked an A deck cabin on Britannia in June. I guess I can look forward to quite a late check in time, considering we're booked into the West Quay premier inn. I thought it'd be easier travelling down on Sunday afternoon than rush hour on Monday morning.

On the upside I've never been to Southampton before, so can have a wander round. Or spend 4 hours getting completely lost in Ikea :)

Edited by chris11256

These are the boarding times, posted previously for Britannia.

Important Notification

*E-tickets*

Unfortunately,for this cruise,we are experiencing some issues with the system which prints the E-tickets which means for some of you,your embarkation time may not be showing.Please arrive according your check-in time which is allocated by deck as follows:

Suites & LigurianGuests:12:30

DeckA(15):15:30

DeckB(14):13:30

DeckC(13):15:30

DeckD(11):15:00

DeckE(10):14:30

DeckF(9):15:00

DeckG(8):13:00

DeckL(16):13:30

Please disregard if you are arriving by coach as your coach arrival timewill overide these timings.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Britannia very soon.

These are the boarding times, posted previously for Britannia.

Important Notification

*E-tickets*

Unfortunately,for this cruise,we are experiencing some issues with the system which prints the E-tickets which means for some of you,your embarkation time may not be showing.Please arrive according your check-in time which is allocated by deck as follows:

Suites & LigurianGuests:12:30

DeckA(15):15:30

DeckB(14):13:30

DeckC(13):15:30

DeckD(11):15:00

DeckE(10):14:30

DeckF(9):15:00

DeckG(8):13:00

DeckL(16):13:30

Please disregard if you are arriving by coach as your coach arrival timewill overide these timings.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Britannia very soon.

Thank you!