Embarkation times

smileon

So unless I missed it, do RCI and Celebrity have times issued to pax? Or can you turn up at any time fromm 10.30, in which case, they could have 4000 all turning up at the same time. How does it work?
No, RCI nor Celebrity issue check in times to guests. Yes, they could have 4000 turning up at once, but in reality that does not happen. Although there is a steady stream of guests arriving at the terminal from around 10:30 am.

Even if they do, they have a smooth security scanning process and numerous check in agents which process the guests quickly and efficiently arranged by deck and/or 'frequent cruiser' level.

Once checked in, guests are directed to a waiting area, divided by again by suite guests, frequent cruiser level etc.

Boarding normally commences around 11 for suite and high level frequent cruisers and then it is a constant procession of guests.

But in reality, they could have an enormous number all getting there at 10.30. That's what was happening with P&O. You only have to read the threads from people saying they were going to ignore their given check in time. So more and more were turning up at 11 am. Personally, I have never waited more than 20 minutes to check in and board, but we sail on smaller ships.

But in reality, they could have an enormous number all getting there at 10.30. That's what was happening with P&O. You only have to read the threads from people saying they were going to ignore their given check in time. So more and more were turning up at 11 am. Personally, I have never waited more than 20 minutes to check in and board, but we sail on smaller ships.
You could, but I've never experienced it with RCI & Celebrity and that includes sailing on the largest ship in the world (Allure of the Seas) which has a potential maximum guest capacity of 5400 guests. I arrived at 11, checked in by 11:15 and on board by 11:45.

But in reality, they could have an enormous number all getting there at 10.30. That's what was happening with P&O. You only have to read the threads from people saying they were going to ignore their given check in time. So more and more were turning up at 11 am.

Perhaps, but no one should complain since they are arriving when they want to (and so is everyone else).

Maybe I was being flippant on my earlier post but it was because this thread is a non argument. P&O do give a time to arrive (just like Cunard). This does not offend me in any way, indeed I totally understand why they do it.

They key thing is though that they also say that you could turn up early and they will try to board you. Turn around day is manic for the staff - don't forget that they'll have only just waved off 3000 passengers and luggage before others arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I was being flippant on my earlier post but it was because this thread is a non argument. P&O do give a time to arrive (just like Cunard). This does not offend me in any way, indeed I totally understand why they do it.

They key thing is though that they also say that you could turn up early and they will try to board you. Turn around day is manic for the staff - don't forget that they'll have only just waved off 3000 passengers and luggage before others arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree about it being manic for the staff but the point being made by myself and others is that the other companies board earlier and more efficiently and in the case of Anthem on a bigger ship. I have never had a problem on boarding Celebrity, Princess or RCI.

Cabins on RCI are available at 1pm. Lunch is available from 11:30 am in the buffet or in addition (where available) Park cafe. In the majority of cases RCI start boarding as early as 11 am (depending on clearance of previous guests due to immigration). It is clear the number of guests that can be processed in those extra 90 minutes (11 - 12:30) helps reduce pressure on the terminal where there could be 4000+ guests waiting to check in.

Are you saying P&O responded to feedback from guests who want their cabins available immediately upon boarding?

That is what they said last year when it was introduced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did someone post earlier that a lot of people boarding the large American ships have flown into the UK so their arrival time would be staggered throughout the afternoon, unlike Pando whose mostly British passengers probably in the main get themselves to the port.

Not sure I've seen that posted however whilst a lot of the American guests fly in, very few do so on the day (to avoid potential delays or to add a London visit on first) and stay in Southampton or London hotels so can be at the port as early as some P&O passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is what they said last year when it was introduced.

I've seen such disinformation throughout businesses many times. A company says we are responding to customer feedback by doing X,Y or Z changes however in the main the changes benefit the company and they are never held to account for their changes leaving most customers bemused over who gave them the feedback to support the change.

A lot depends on the question....

A). Would you like to board at Southampton and have access to your cabin straight away?

B). Would you like to board at Southampton at set times decided upon by P&O.

Someone choosing A gets B anyway by default.

The missing option is would you like to board when it suits you and have prompt access to your cabins....? If so, choose a US cruise line.

Edited by kevinyork

I've seen such disinformation throughout businesses many times. A company says we are responding to customer feedback by doing X,Y or Z changes however in the main the changes benefit the company and they are never held to account for their changes leaving most customers bemused over who gave them the feedback to support the change.

A lot depends on the question....

A). Would you like to board at Southampton and have access to your cabin straight away?

B). Would you like to board at Southampton at set times decided upon by P&O.

Someone choosing A gets B anyway by default.

The missing option is would you like to board when it suits you and have prompt access to your cabins....? If so, choose a US cruise line.

OK will do, as you can see from my signature, RCI and Celebrity until 2017. :D

I 'll say what I, (and my new friend Scriv :D ) have said before,.....as long as I am on the ship before she sails and with a glass of wine ( or possibly fizz) in my hand when she does, I will be happy.:p

Well good for you. But unfortunately I expect to be onboard well before a ship sets sail. Rush me and I won't be happy.

Kevin the feedback comes in an open question on the cruise questionnaire "how can we make your cruise better" but of course you know that already.

I 'll say what I, (and my new friend Scriv :D ) have said before,.....as long as I am on the ship before she sails and with a glass of wine ( or possibly fizz) in my hand when she does, I will be happy.:p

'Like' button pressed, MM :)

Kevin the feedback comes in an open question on the cruise questionnaire "how can we make your cruise better" but of course you know that already.

And of course you know for certain Dai that a majority of people ask for their cabins to be ready on boarding under this comment.;)

My answer in this field after our last cruise was for P&O to stop treating their passengers like errant children who needed controlling as they embarked, and to start to offer the sort of genuine customer service offered by their competitors.

It is good that there is an open question , Dai, as I agree with Kevin that it does depend on the wording of the questions and there are a few on the feedback form which are not satisfactory and could lead to the wrong interpretation and where another option could give people the chance to reflect their view more accurately.

I particularly refer to the questions on dress code - in particular the one about feeling relaxed on holiday OR having a dress code - and the one about unobtrusive service.

Edited by Scriv

I do not think that I will come on this thread anymore, it just seems that people with an agenda wont to promote RCI and Celebrity !!!

I don't want to promote Celebrity and RCI

P and O sail out of Southampton all year round so I want to keep using them - but I also want them to up their game and treat passengers better

I do not think that I will come on this thread anymore, it just seems that people with an agenda wont to promote RCI and Celebrity !!!

Now who could that be:confused::confused:;)

Cant think of anyone straightaway.;)

I will just wait for the totally unbiased cruise review from this year.

And of course you know for certain Dai that a majority of people ask for their cabins to be ready on boarding under this comment.;)

My answer in this field after our last cruise was for P&O to stop treating their passengers like errant children who needed controlling as they embarked, and to start to offer the sort of genuine customer service offered by their competitors.

John you know that is not what I said, I said there were no closed questions asking about wanting cabins ready. Said the only place it can come from is the open question at the end of he questionnaire. I never said a majority asked.

I don't want to promote Celebrity and RCI

P and O sail out of Southampton all year round so I want to keep using them - but I also want them to up their game and treat passengers better

Exactly how I feel. Changing the embarkation system seems to have aggravated people rather than improving the system. I would also like P&O to up their game and give the customer what they want, in this case an embarkation system that is as good as the competition.

Edited by bee-ess

Exactly how I feel. Changing the embarkation system seems to have aggravated people rather than improving the system. I would also like P&O to up their game and give the customer what they want, in this case an embarkation system that is as good as the competition.

Many people think that the new system works and got aggravated by the free for all which preceded it.

Whatever the system everyone cannot board at the same time some people have to board later.

Many people I have spoken to the ink it works better this way.