Zika Virus and Prices

_beachgirl_

With the recent issues of the Zika virus and so many people needing to cancel or postpone their trips, do you think that might drive prices down for cruising? Or do you think prices will continue to go up?

Malaria and Dengue Fever are also issues but don't seem to affect the price at all.

What do you think?

Depends how much hysteria the media can generate.

Back in 2009, the swine flu thing got cruise lines to change Mexican Riviera itineraries and prices dropped significantly on our re-directed Royal cruise then.

The point I am trying to make is that people are cancelling. I'm wondering if that is going to affect prices in anyway.

Seems the answer is that it may and it has in the past with the swine flu. Thank you to those of you who answered my question.

Could be that at this point, when people cancel, enough others book those staterooms that the cruise lines are not having to lower prices yet. Time will tell if cancellations start to greatly exceed replacement bookings.

Could be that at this point, when people cancel, enough others book those staterooms that the cruise lines are not having to lower prices yet. Time will tell if cancellations start to greatly exceed replacement bookings.

So true. It will be interesting to watch how this all unfolds for the cruise lines.

The point I am trying to make is that people are cancelling. I'm wondering if that is going to affect prices in anyway.

Seems the answer is that it may and it has in the past with the swine flu. Thank you to those of you who answered my question.

I think most of us know what you mean but we simply cannot answer your question.

Time will tell. If it interests you, continue to watch the pricing.

Only those who are pregnant or expect to get pregnant would cancel. Everyone else will still be going.

Not true. I'm not pregnant, nor do I plan on getting pregnant. But I was considering canceling because of this virus. When I saw that it could cause paralysis it made me think twice. We are sailing in 16 days and every port is on the list.

Not true. I'm not pregnant, nor do I plan on getting pregnant. But I was considering canceling because of this virus. When I saw that it could cause paralysis it made me think twice. We are sailing in 16 days and every port is on the list.

Perhaps you should learn more about the places you're traveling if worried about that small risk (paralysis from a Zika-bearing mosquito), as there are other mosquito borne diseases in the Caribbean and have been for a while -- chikungunya, yellow fever, and malaria. Chikungunya can cause death in 1/1000 people affected.....

I would think that if cruise lines start to have a lot of problems filling Caribbean ships due to the zika virus (whether the threat is real or imagined), they will temporarily redeploy the ships to other locations.

While it's true that the most risk is to pregnant or planning to be pregnant women, it implicates all the people they're traveling with. For instance, Mom and Dad and 2 kids were planning on a cruise. Mom and Dad considering trying for a 3rd. The whole family doesn't book the cruise, not just Mom.

Roz

I would think that if cruise lines start to have a lot of problems filling Caribbean ships due to the zika virus (whether the threat is real or imagined), they will temporarily redeploy the ships to other locations.

While it's true that the most risk is to pregnant or planning to be pregnant women, it implicates all the people they're traveling with. For instance, Mom and Dad and 2 kids were planning on a cruise. Mom and Dad considering trying for a 3rd. The whole family doesn't book the cruise, not just Mom.

Roz

HAL has many ships in the Caribbean for the fall/winter/spring. Where would they move them to? Sure, they move the ships to Europe, Alaska and Canada/NE for the spring/summer/fall but not many want to sail Canada or Alaska in February. :)

While they sail Mexico, the Caribbean cruises sail from East Coast.

Edited by sail7seas

The terrorist attacks in Paris did not lower transatlantic airfare prices as far as I could tell. The cruise prices I have been following do not involve the Caribbean and may rise if people switch from Zika affected areas.

The terrorist attacks in Paris did not lower transatlantic airfare prices as far as I could tell. The cruise prices I have been following do not involve the Caribbean and may rise if people switch from Zika affected areas.

Very interesting. I noticed a few people mentioning they would stay away from European cruises right now but I wasn't sure if that was the reason behind it. I hadn't thought about airfare but that certainly does make sense. Glad to see people are still flying. A price drop sure would be nice though.

It will definitely be something I'm going to keep an eye on.

Very interesting. I noticed a few people mentioning they would stay away from European cruises right now but I wasn't sure if that was the reason behind it. I hadn't thought about airfare but that certainly does make sense. Glad to see people are still flying. A price drop sure would be nice though.

It will definitely be something I'm going to keep an eye on.

Where are you thinking of cruising?

The Med?

Caribbean?

Alaska?

Zika and terrorist attacks might influence travel to some locations but certainly not the whole world..... for most of us.

Where are you thinking of cruising?

The Med?

Caribbean?

Alaska?

Zika and terrorist attacks might influence travel to some locations but certainly not the whole world..... for most of us.

I'm tossing around all of the above right now. Not really sure where I want to go. Price wise, I'm leaning towards the Caribbean but I'm honestly open to go anywhere (next year).

Edited by _beachgirl_

It is not likely you are going to find 'sale' prices for cruises in 2017 for a while. They are still trying to sell loads of cabins for 2016 cruises. To think Zika Virus will influence 2017 prices now doesn't seem probable.