On Anthem "Three day Dining Package" Question

johnjen

Turns out we can finally book the restaurants for the upcoming cruise, but when I chose the 3 day dining package option, I thought it would let me book on specific days we wanted to eat at, for example, chops grille, wonderland, Jamie Oliver's kitchen, etc. but it gave me the notion we'd have to wait until we're on the ship to book those at that time.

I'd prefer to be able to just do that in advance and on the website.

Eventually, will that be available online, or will we really have to wait in a line on the ship to do so? I'd prefer getting the itinerary all lined up prior to actually boarding.

Turns out we can finally book the restaurants for the upcoming cruise, but when I chose the 3 day dining package option, I thought it would let me book on specific days we wanted to eat at, for example, chops grille, wonderland, Jamie Oliver's kitchen, etc. but it gave me the notion we'd have to wait until we're on the ship to book those at that time.

I'd prefer to be able to just do that in advance and on the website.

Eventually, will that be available online, or will we really have to wait in a line on the ship to do so? I'd prefer getting the itinerary all lined up prior to actually boarding.

You have to wait until on board with that package.

I have always booked online and then had the % discount provided back to me as OBC once we have eaten at the restaurant.

Anyone else done this?

It is a different promo from the one that you are referring to. No longer a % discount. It is a set price to eat at a certain number of restaurants.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

It looks like the packages have gone live this week even for my Anthem cruise way out in November. From the website description and other things I've heard on the 2-5 day pre-paid Anthem packages:

- You book/pay for the package and then choose a time you would like to eat your 1st meal

- Royal will then pre-choose for you a restaurant (from Chops, Jamie's, Wonderland or Izumi) on night 1 or 2 of the cruise around the time you picked out

- Once you board the Anthem you can change your pre-selected 1st meal and reserve your remaining meals based on availability.

- For example, RC could select Izumi for your 2nd night, and you might not like sushi and/or would instead want to eat premium on the 1st night, so you would change that reservation once you were aboard ... based on what is available

The key from what I found is that while you're getting a discount on the premium restaurants, you're trading the freedom to make reservations in advance of sailing. The strategy from RC's standpoint is they are able to ensure the premium restaurants are evenly distributed over the 1st two nights, and then they can control availability for the rest of the cruise and make sure that a place like Chops isn't sold out months in advance.

I'm sort on on the fence but leaning towards getting a 4 night package for our our 10 night cruise

Edited by Brocktoon623

It looks like the packages have gone live this week even for my Anthem cruise way out in November. From the website description and other things I've heard on the 2-5 day pre-paid Anthem packages:

- You book/pay for the package and then choose a time you would like to eat your 1st meal

- Royal will then pre-choose for you a restaurant (from Chops, Jamie's, Wonderland or Izumi) on night 1 or 2 of the cruise around the time you picked out

- Once you board the Anthem you can change your pre-selected 1st meal and reserve your remaining meals based on availability.

- For example, RC could select Izumi for your 2nd night, and you might not like sushi and/or would instead want to eat premium on the 1st night, so you would change that reservation once you were aboard ... based on what is available

The key from what I found is that while you're getting a discount on the premium restaurants, you're trading the freedom to make reservations in advance of sailing. The strategy from RC's standpoint is they are able to ensure the premium restaurants are evenly distributed over the 1st two nights, and then they can control availability for the rest of the cruise and make sure that a place like Chops isn't sold out months in advance.

I'm sort on on the fence but leaning towards getting a 4 night package for our our 10 night cruise

This is fabulous information. Gives me plenty of insight of what's happening. Sushi.....yuk! I didn't think Izumi (a la carte) was actually one of the specialty places....we'd drop that soon as we boarded if that one was on there...concerned about anisakiasis!

When I called to inquire about this, I actually got to book my first restaurant for the 2nd night. I kept getting emails that we had restaurants left in our cart. When I called about that, hoping to be able to book the others, they said no, must do it on board. We wanted to try Wonderland, so this makes it a good deal for 3 nights.

I also am a little concerned on this new format - I like saving money and not worrying about getting a credit as was sometimes an issue with the old format. I'm just concerned about getting the restaurant I want for the time I need to correspond with my preplanned entertainment. They've taught me to plan everything in advance and now they are telling me to wait! Argh!!

Anyone know if we can use it both night 1 and night 2?

Also - I purchased Prime Table separately. But, does anyone know how it fits in with this promotion?

I swear I read someone say the first night they were given was in one of the complimentary restaurants - do they actually do this in order to smooth out the dining among all the restaurants?

Thanks!

I also am a little concerned on this new format - I like saving money and not worrying about getting a credit as was sometimes an issue with the old format. I'm just concerned about getting the restaurant I want for the time I need to correspond with my preplanned entertainment. They've taught me to plan everything in advance and now they are telling me to wait! Argh!!

Also - I purchased Prime Table separately. But, does anyone know how it fits in with this promotion?

I swear I read someone say the first night they were given was in one of the complimentary restaurants - do they actually do this in order to smooth out the dining among all the restaurants?

Thanks!

By Prime Table...if you are referring to Chefs Table it us not included with thus package.

You can book this on board and choose your times snd restaurants at that point if you wish.

You would not be assigned a complimentary restaurant.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

This is fabulous information. Gives me plenty of insight of what's happening. Sushi.....yuk! I didn't think Izumi (a la carte) was actually one of the specialty places....we'd drop that soon as we boarded if that one was on there...concerned about anisakiasis!

I talked with RC on the phone last week and they mentioned that Izumi was included and that you're given a cash limit (can't remember what it was) and you pay anything over that amount as it's a la carte.

I also am a little concerned on this new format

Another great question. They mentioned your 1st restaurant on night 1 OR 2, but what about both? I was told that I could change anything I wanted as soon a I boarded the ship, but not before. So I would assume (and we all know what happens when you assume) you could do the same premium restaurant on on night 1 AND 2 as long as you booked when you board. The RC rep on the phone mentioned a few times based on availability. As long as the restaurants aren't booked solid, I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

I'll be following the premium dining threads closely as there does seem to be some 'devils in the details' to figure out the system

Hi

I was on the Anthem 1/25/16 cruise (which ended up being the 1/26/16 cruise).

Prior to sailing I booked and paid for Jamie's, Chops, Wonderland, and also booked Izumi.

Once onboard and finding out about the dining package, I was able to upgrade/convert (whatever the proper term is) and I was refunded in OBC the charges I previously paid for the specialty dining and then was charged for the package.

At Izumi it was $30 credit you are given and you pay anything beyond that. At the other restaurants there wasn't a dollar value limit.

It was definitely worth the value of the package and I will look to do it again.

Noreen

Looking into the 3-night package for my September Anthem cruise.

Now not so sure, as the terms and conditions at the bottom state -

"One reservation must be used on the first or second night of the sailing."

Since I will be (newly) D+ for the sailing, my wife and I were hoping to use the B1G1 for both Night 1 and Night 2, and then take advantage of the 3-night package after that.

Hi

Prior to sailing I booked and paid for Jamie's, Chops, Wonderland, and also booked Izumi.

Once onboard and finding out about the dining package, I was able to upgrade/convert (whatever the proper term is) and I was refunded in OBC the charges I previously paid for the specialty dining and then was charged for the package.

At Izumi it was $30 credit you are given and you pay anything beyond that. At the other restaurants there wasn't a dollar value limit.

It was definitely worth the value of the package and I will look to do it again.

Noreen

We did the same (same cruise). Once onboard we paid for the package and were refunded the charges as OBC. Worked out nicely and we kept our prefered dining times.

Edited by Phoenix1949

Hi

Noreen

Did you have to visit Guest Services for this? Thanks,

Thanks for the feedback on this. I guess I can live with booking the three restaurants onboard. Really looking forward to the cruise!! woohoo!!

I had the same problem so I cancelled my package and asked for a refund. Then I booked 2 reservations separately. Glad I did because my traveling companions couldn't even get the same time as me when they tried to book.