passengers usually spend an average of $640,000 during a day in Nassau

rmalbers

I thought this was interesting (older data but still), I've always wondered what kind of money the ports made via cruise traffic:

" the Florida Caribbean Cruise Association said. According to them, passengers usually spend an average of $640,000 during a day in Nassau ."

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2013/nov/28/broken-tugboat-to-blame-for-cruise-ships-turning/

Really - With some 10,000 a day coming off boats that is about $64 each! not much.

I am not sure it is the most sustainable form of tourism but you are right - you will have people do private tours, the revenue from the cruise ship tours, beers, lunches out and importantly shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having previously visited Nassau a few times (sometimes on itinerary but a couple of times because of weather issues) we tend to see the port as a 'Ship Day', watch everyone get off and then relax by the empty pool with a nice quiet drink. On schedules with lots to see and do we enjoy visiting at least one port we are happy to miss!

Sorry Nassau, last couple of visits we haven't spent a penny!

I'm with all of you who spent $0.00 in nassau. There is zero to see within walking distance of the pier, and I don't need to spend $$$$$$ at Atlantis.

PLEASE Mr. Cruise line executive: find another port. If you are obligated to make a Bahama port due to your ship having a Bahama registry, there are plenty of other islands in that country.

Edited by philpcruiser

We think Nassau may be on its last legs as a major cruise ship port of call. If and when Cuba becomes a totally open travel country for US Citizens, most ships will likely substitute Havana for Nassau.

Hank

I seriously doubt this. Cruise ships are not going to want to drop the Bahamas from the itinerary altogether. It checks off an entire country (sort of) for people who want to go see as many places as possible. So they have to leave one of the Bahama ports on their Eastern itineraries. Since they go to Freeport and Nassau, I would be shocked to see them drop Nassau but keep Freeport. Freeport has much less to offer than Nassau does. Atlantis alone must make up tons of the excursions booked through the ship. They aren't dropping Nassau.

Now, I wouldn't object to them going to another island in the Bahamas that is neither Nassau or Freeport but not sure if that will happen any time soon. Not with people spending $640,000 in Nassau every day! Some of that comes back to the cruise lines if they are counting excursions booked on board.

Edited by BigB0882