Comments: CB to Eastern Caribbean 10-01

pmcd404

It rained all week but we had a great time anyway. Highlight; Sunny Liston's Tour of St Thomas. He was right - we were singing all the way home! He offered to drop us at one of two or three beaches but he STRONGLY pushed for Sapphire Beach where he dropped us off for a couple of hours, great beach even in the rain. Beware!! there is only one place that serves food, a bar attached to a run down hotel. Wife and I ordered Pina Colada each - $7.00 each, small, in a plastic cup and pour unashamedly out of a half gallon milk style container labeled 'Pina Colada Mix'. Bartender didn't add any liquor, when asked, he said it was already in. Based on it's effect I would say not!

The menu was limited to hamburger, hot dog, cheeseburger and fish sandwich. All in the range of $10-$12. It took forever to get the food, there seemed to be plenty of staff but none of them doing very much. The amateurish service and quality of food reminded me of your average small High School Friday night football game concession stand. Apologies where appropriate; it is not my intention to start a whole new thread on the relative merits of High School concession stands around the US and Canada.

The sandwiches arrived at last. No utensils, condiments, ketchup, tartare sauce (for the fish sandwich) or mayo. Without explanation or apology we were given a bag of Lay's potato chips instead of the fries we ordered - and paid for. We protested and were told they'd run out of fries. When we protested again they produced them. Interesting! Total bill for the two drinks, a cheeseburger and a fish sandwich - $45!! I wonder; did Sunny get any of that?

..but at MY insistence (our tour guide, Godfrey conceded to me, much to my chagrin) and had a similar experience in 2002. We just decided it was a lousy decision and were thankful that we were not staying at the seedy and rundown hotel. Flash forward to 2003 and a trip to St. John (the Westin) Unfortunately we had rain from the day we landed until the day we were evacuated ("relocated" per the Westin) Total 18inches. So guess where we were "relocated" to??? Thank God it was only for 1 night!!!

All that being said, how is the CB? We are leaving on the 29th of this month; I have so many questions!!

Sorry to hear of your experience.

After arriving at that beach and on first sight

I knew it was not going to be what some other posters had built it up to be.

I too ordered two drinks from a miserable bartender at that hotel and handed over my hard earned $14.00 for a small frozen mango daquari and a beer.

After seeing the miserable faces all around me, I high tailed it out of there and headed for Coki. No way was I staying there to be treated so poorly. I tried to warn so many in a post I made months ago. I sure wish you had read it. Your summary certainly brought back a lesson learned for me!

Thank you for posting this information. I hope others read it!

I think we were probablly on that tour with you. Monday....Tuesday...Wednesday...Thursday...Friday...Saturday...Sunday...everyday of the weeeeeek. Sunny was a hoot. Definitely had a great time with him despite the rain. And we went to the same little dive there on Sapphire beach. Ate a $11 burger in the rain for 3 hours.

So sorry to hear about the condition of a once great resort. We stayed here for a week back in May 1994 & had a wonderful time. Just reading your comments makes me wonder what happened to a nice place. It was not the most modern facility, but was clean, neat & had a beautiful beach. Just thinking of our trip brings back some wonderful memories. I'm so glad I read this thread or I would never know it had fallen into such disrepair. From our balcony we had a view of St. John across the way & did have lunch at the beach bar they had by the pool. The main restaurant used to be the Seagrape Restaurant which was was not fancy, but did serve a decent meal. We went to a different resort every night for dinner while there. Sorry about your bad weather & how the resort was a disappointment.:(

Archived