Mosquito repellent

J9Jazz

These are the essential oils known to have mosquito repellant properties:

Mosquitos – citronella, lemon eucalyptus, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, catnip, basil, clove, thyme, lemongrass, geranium, lavender

Some studies have also shown, additional effective ingredients include: Neem Oil, Soybean Oil, Vodka, Garlic and Vanilla Extract

http://tasty-yummies.com/2013/07/17/homemade-essential-oil-insect-repellent-spray/

Given the extreme seriousness of the situation and possible other illnesses that Zikka can cause, I have decided to err on the side of caution and use a DEET based repellant as much as I dislike them as it is better than getting Guillain-Barre or some of the Neurological affects that have been tied to this virus.

The CDC asks that pregnant women, women who are trying to become pregnant, and everyone else should strictly follow steps to protect themselves. Because the mosquitoes that spread Zika are aggressive daytime biters and live indoors and outdoors, it's especially important to follow the CDC's precautions during daylight hours.

That includes using insect repellent containing deet, picaridin, lemon eucalyptus, or IR3535. All have been approved by the Environmental Protection Agency for use during pregnancy. Also wear long-sleeved shirts and pants, the CDC says. At night, CDC recommends sleeping in a screened-in or air conditioned room or under a mosquito bed net.

Consumer Reports' recent tests of insect repellents found that the most effective product, Sawyer Fishermen's Formula with 20 percent picaridin, was also one of the safest, helping to keep away Aedes mosquitoes—the same type that transmit Zika—for at least 8 hours. Off Deepwoods VIII with 25 percent deet also kept Aedes mosquitoes at bay for 8 hours. Our tests showed that repellents containing natural plant oils, such as citronella and lemongrass, did not work against mosquitoes.

Consumer Reports Ratings are: protection against Aedes & Culex mosquitoes

#1 Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin PUMP 8 & 8 hours protection Picaridin 20%

#2 Repel Lemon Eucalyptus PUMP 7 & 8 hours Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus 30%

#3 Repel Scented Family AEROSOL 5 & 8 hours Deet 15%

#4 Natrapel 8 Hours AEROSOL 7.8 & 8 hours Picaridin 20%

#5 Off Deep Woods VIII AEROSOL 8 & 8 hours Deet 25%

We use OFF Deep Woods for Sportsmen.

It comes in convenient 1 oz. spray containers and can normally be found in the Sporting Goods sections of stores.

Handy size to carry around. It's 98.25% DEET so it doesn't take much. :)

LuLu

I've read a number of recommendations for this product. I haven't tried it myself but I intend to.

We use OFF Deep Woods for Sportsmen.

It comes in convenient 1 oz. spray containers and can normally be found in the Sporting Goods sections of stores.

Handy size to carry around. It's 98.25% DEET so it doesn't take much. :)

LuLu

Wow 98% I have used this product for years and never heard of it that strong the %s do vary from as low as 8% (many times called family) to as high as in the 40s (Deep woods off). None of these home brews work only the brands with DEET work.