When is first hold placed on credit card?

figi4

Right now I have my S&S account linked to a debit card. I am most likely going to change it to cash only when I arrive to board. Does anyone know if this will work or do they put a hold on the card before I'm even checked in?

Unless you have already told Carnival that you were using a debit card, then I wouldn't worry about it until you get on the ship. If you have already filled out your check-in documentation and stated that you were going to use a debit card, you can still go in and change your account to a "cash" account.

If you use a cash-only account, you will go to the Guest Services desk once you board the ship and put cash towards your account. This is what we always do, as we don't own a credit card and don't want a hold placed on our debit card. Works great using cash! Anything left in your account at the end of the cruise will be given back in a check, which you can cash at Guest Services before leaving the ship!

that is why we always use a credit card for our onboard account. OUr bank, WellsFargo, always freaks out when we travel and puts a hold on our debit if they see anything out of our home town. We always let them know ahead of time, but it always happens. We had to call from a restaurant in Fla the night before our last cruise as it was refused... embarrassing to say the least.

If you put a credit card as your onboard account, too, if some strange charge shows up, it is easier to challenge.

Anyhow, the LAST thing I want is to be stuck on a vacation and have no access to money. We take our debit cards with us, but do not use them at all on the trip, unless there is an emergency.

If I change it to cash now I won't need to reprint my documents will I? I just got them all printed out. :D If not I will go ahead and change it to cash. I would put a credit card but I know we'll be more likely to overspend rather than stick to what we've allowed ourselves.

Right now I have my S&S account linked to a debit card. I am most likely going to change it to cash only when I arrive to board. Does anyone know if this will work or do they put a hold on the card before I'm even checked in?

It is not linked to anything until you check in. I would recommend removing your debit card info from the web site immediately for security reasons. A card is not needed to check in, and you can switch the one you use at any time. Holds, if any are placed when you check in.

From my experience the hold will be done in the morning before you arrive. When I checked in a few times at the port (10:30am) the person at the desk noted that my credit card had already been approved.

But as others have already said, you should open your account as cash only if you plan on only using cash on board. We've seen too many horror stories of multi-week holds on debit cards and also the fact that you're giving Carnival direct access to your personal bank account should be unnerving.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

I had done my online check in quite a few months before I cruised for the first time on Glory. The card I used had expired by the time I cruised and I was issued a replacement in the mean time. I was told at the check in counter that my card was declined. No problem as I had the current one with me so I gave that one to him. It looks like they go ahead and make a charge before you arrive.

I only do cash accounts now so I don't worry about it.

If I change it to cash now I won't need to reprint my documents will I? I just got them all printed out. :D If not I will go ahead and change it to cash. I would put a credit card but I know we'll be more likely to overspend rather than stick to what we've allowed ourselves.

I would just go ahead and change to cash account, then reprint your documentation. Then it's all set and done. You won't have to worry about it again.

No you won't have to reprint anything. I always just put cash down and if I feel like it add a card at check in at the port or on board. I'd rather not input card info to Carnival months in advance with all the data breaches going on in the world. I even started buying gift cards to pay for the cruise. Granted I get them from Verizon for the discount, the protection is just an added bonus. I've had to many friends and family have to deal with identity theft and if I can protect myself I definitely will. Everyday on the local news they are reporting a different gas station found with skimmer devices in the pumps here in the Tampa Bay area.

Again you can switch to cash and not have to reprint your documents.

If you use a cash-only account, you will go to the Guest Services desk once you board the ship and put cash towards your account. This is what we always do, as we don't own a credit card and don't want a hold placed on our debit card. Works great using cash! Anything left in your account at the end of the cruise will be given back in a check, which you can cash at Guest Services before leaving the ship!

I am just wondering about this Cash account. Are people actually carrying around possibly (just a number here) a thousand dollars in cash, or do you bring a check or? Our first cruise, back in 2007 when the dinosaurs powered the cruise ship, we used Cashiers checks. I have heard that cashiers checks have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Just wondering. We finally broke down and got a credit card solely for travel. My DH was totally against having a cc. I would hate to carry around cash, in most any amounts.

Yep $100 bills! I have DH carry 5 and I carry the other 5. Give our CC at check in and then set up cash Acct. The extra $500 gets locked in the cabin safe.

For traveling the CC is critical for any emergency (medical, travel ) we always have a back up credit card. Actually we have 2 different accounts in case one card is stolen or otherwise unusable we have a back up card. Once again I carry one CC and DH the other. Never do either of us carry all the cash or CC's.

BTW we never carry a balance and pay off immediately our travel expenses.

Edited by JVilleGal