New to this, clothing questions

rhapsody55

This is our first Hurtigruten, we've done tons of ocean cruises and 6 river cruises, but I'm clueless as to what I should be packing for this trip. We're doing Kirkenes to Bergen in mid March on the Trollfjord, with the dogsled excursion in Kirkenes before we board. What kind of clothes do I need? Snow pants? Ski jackets? I've already got waterproof lined boots, can you guys give me some direction? I would really appreciate it! If it helps, I get warm very easily, and can take a fair amount of cold. Thanks!!

You can have a look at the other discussions here because it is a question that comes up often.

Basically, mid-march is still winter, particularly in the North. So you need warm clothes, but not necessarily ski outfits (you will be given a ski suit for the dogsled excursion so you don't need to pack for this in particular).

I have been 6 times with Hurtigruten (4 in winter) and I like to spend a lot of time outside on the deck. The key is to bring clothes you can layer (thermal underwear, fleece shirt/jacket...) and an outer layer that need to be windproof (very important) and waterproof. And then you can layer accordingly to the daily conditions. For the bottom I have just thermal long underwear, and a regular trouser (blue jeans, usually), and for the top thermal underwear, fleece jacket (sometimes a lighter fleece in between) and my jacket on top, which has been a sailing jacket at some point (works well) and a windproof winter coat at some other point. If you have a ski jacket it can work also, but I'm not sure ski pants are necessary.

For the shoes I have most of the time waterproof hiking shoes. I bring along a pair of snow boots as a spare but I seldom use them. Ice-gripping soles (which you can slip on top of your shoes) can be handy in towns where the sidewalk can be icy.

Here is a link to the trip I have done in March 2012 to give you an idea of the conditions (the text is in French and English) : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.fr/2012/03/oslo-bergen-en-train-pour-changer.html

Totally concur with what has been said. I am just recently back from my trip on the Nordnorge (my review with some pictures has just been posted). My friend and I took too many warm clothes. You do need to layer up as stated. the Norwegians swear by wool within their layers, but the ship itself is very warm and comfortable. Hand and feet warmers can be useful as if the Northern Lights show you may be stood agog for a long time when you can get cold. We did the dog sledding in Tromso and enjoyed it so much - I am sure you will love it. We came off at Kirkenes but would have loved to stay on for the return. We saw the lights as we left the Lofeten Islands (Northbound) - they can appear any time but the clouds are a very big factor. Leave your intercom on so you will hear when the lights are visible - the best showing for us was at 2.30 in the morning.

We found out by chance that if another Hurtigruten ship is in the same port for any length of time you are welcome to visit.

Have a wonderful time.

Nice review Queenie1603, glad you had a good time!

I sailed once with a couple who had only booked the Bergen-Kirkenes leg, because the husband didn't want to come and had only very reluctantly agree to this to please his wife for her birthday. By the time they arrived in Kirkenes, he was almost crying to have to leave the ship! ;) I hope you can make it back.

Totally concur with what has been said. I am just recently back from my trip on the Nordnorge (my review with some pictures has just been posted). My friend and I took too many warm clothes. You do need to layer up as stated. the Norwegians swear by wool within their layers, but the ship itself is very warm and comfortable. Hand and feet warmers can be useful as if the Northern Lights show you may be stood agog for a long time when you can get cold. We did the dog sledding in Tromso and enjoyed it so much - I am sure you will love it. We came off at Kirkenes but would have loved to stay on for the return. We saw the lights as we left the Lofeten Islands (Northbound) - they can appear any time but the clouds are a very big factor. Leave your intercom on so you will hear when the lights are visible - the best showing for us was at 2.30 in the morning.

We found out by chance that if another Hurtigruten ship is in the same port for any length of time you are welcome to visit.

Have a wonderful time.

Hi! I leave in about a week. You say you took too many warm clothes? Are you saying you were too warm on the ship? Or too warm outside? Can you elaborate a bit. I do feel like I'm packing too much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can have a look at the other discussions here because it is a question that comes up often.

Basically, mid-march is still winter, particularly in the North. So you need warm clothes, but not necessarily ski outfits (you will be given a ski suit for the dogsled excursion so you don't need to pack for this in particular).

I have been 6 times with Hurtigruten (4 in winter) and I like to spend a lot of time outside on the deck. The key is to bring clothes you can layer (thermal underwear, fleece shirt/jacket...) and an outer layer that need to be windproof (very important) and waterproof. And then you can layer accordingly to the daily conditions. For the bottom I have just thermal long underwear, and a regular trouser (blue jeans, usually), and for the top thermal underwear, fleece jacket (sometimes a lighter fleece in between) and my jacket on top, which has been a sailing jacket at some point (works well) and a windproof winter coat at some other point. If you have a ski jacket it can work also, but I'm not sure ski pants are necessary.

For the shoes I have most of the time waterproof hiking shoes. I bring along a pair of snow boots as a spare but I seldom use them. Ice-gripping soles (which you can slip on top of your shoes) can be handy in towns where the sidewalk can be icy.

Here is a link to the trip I have done in March 2012 to give you an idea of the conditions (the text is in French and English) : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.fr/2012/03/oslo-bergen-en-train-pour-changer.html

Sarnia... What did you wear to visit the north cape? Was it really cold there? I tend to get cold easily so two layers may not be enough for me. Someone else had suggested ski pants. Should I leave them at home? I hate packing!!!! Lol

It is difficult to advise as everybody has different susceptibility to the cold, but if by "ski pants" you mean bulky dawn (or similar material) trousers then I don't think it is necessary. North Cape can be very cold, mostly because it can be very windy. I wore the same as North Cape than when I'm outside, which is a warm long underwear (merino wool or similar) and my jeans on top. I also have softshell ski trousers (so not bulky, but windproof) that I may wear on top of that but only when I know I will spend time outside looking at Northern Lights. In every other situation (including North Cape) you always have the option to move to a sheltered spot or go inside if you feel too cold. If it is too windy the North Cape excursion can be cancelled.

For such a trip I would bring 2/3 of each top and bottom thermal underwear (long sleeves, long legs), 2/3 light fleeces, 2 warm jackets (I have merino wool jackets that are quite warm), 2 trousers (jeans or the like), one softshell ski pants + of course windproof/waterproof warm overcoat and everything for head/hands/feet. You can wash on the ship if necessary. I'm a bit sensitive to cold, but I also want to have a suitcase as light as possible.

Edited by SarniaLo

Hi, sorry not to be precise re warm clothing - The ship is warm and I realised that something light to wear inside would have been useful - a light top. I took a couple of woollen dresses that I wore in the evening - and although took 3 pairs of boots - I dithered about about wether I needed snow boots, walking boots and what I would travel in - what I now know is that you will need waterproof boots with rubber soles and a pair of spikes that can be put on over the boots if it is icy - usually in the towns.

I took 2 pairs of thermal long johns, my winter walking trousers that are wind and water proof. 3 thermal vests, 2 fleeces, (both windproof) 2 hats and a ear band, 5 pairs thermal socks, thermal tights and some waterproof over trousers (that I didn't use). I also took 3 wooly jumpers. I also took my berghaus gortex jacket as it is waterproof and my berghaus full length down filled coat - very warm but not as water resilient as the jacket. When it rained I wore the jacket.

We did have mild temperatures - it didn't go much below -2C but I know the week after the forecast was very cold.

If I packed again I would take one pair of boots and travel in them and a decent pair of rubber soled shoes (trainers or similar) for wearing around the ship. the other clothing seemed about right as it was possible to build up the layers even if I did look like Mr Blobby.

I went 11 days Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen in late October, so maybe similar to March. I didn't bring as much clothing as others have listed, as we were on a 2 month tour including other parts of Europe, starting in Iceland, then Norway, then a river cruise, Italy, Med, cruise back to the states, one luggage bag each.

I wore thin layers. For the coldest day, North Cape where it was very windy and crisp (17F) I had a thin merino wool legging (Costco.com) layer and jeans over those and I was fine for the amount of time I was outside - 2 visits outside for about 15 - 20 minutes each. On top I wore a thin silk turtle neck (WinterSilks.com), a thin knit sweater, a hooded heavy T-shirt, a fleece vest and a wind breaker/rain jacket on top of all. I also used a light gauze scarf, gloves, knit headband over my ears plus lightweight knit hat, then the hoods from my hoodie and rain jacket to keep the wind out.

On my feet I had short (ankle-high) thinsulate-lined waterproof booties (Sorel) with nubby soles. I did not bring my Trax stretch-over-the-shoe cleats but I would bring them next time. North Cape was very icy, especially the walk out to the monument and the steps up to the globe.

I could not have packed nor would I have worn multiple vests, multiple fleeces. I was quite comfortable in the layers I had and they were good for other uses.

When we went up top deck to see the lights I didn't need all those layers as the wind was not too bad and I could duck into the area where the ships air vents were warm!

For using a camera I had an ultra light pair of silk glove liners from Winter Silks.

I might consider rain pants if I had the room and the weight allowance because the rain in some ports was worse than the cold, and with the wind the umbrella was not too useful. For rain I used the merino wool leggings and nylon pants (REI) which weren't rain-proof but water resistant and dried fast once back on board. But with better rain gear we would have walked further and seen more; as we were, we went back to the ship to dry out.

On board it is plenty warm enough and indoor clothing is comfortable.

I hope to go back but in a different season, maybe early summer when it is more light outside to see more of the scenery - late October was too dark and rainy for us although we loved the trip and had a great time.

Enjoy, m--

Did you all need to wear boots while on deck???

I'm not sure what you call "boots". My main shoes are waterproof hiking shoes, a bit like those : http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-100-high-womens-waterproof-walking-boots-pink-id_8338956.html

I wear them on board, inside and outside, and while visiting the ports of call, with a pair of slip-on spikes soles on top when necessary. They do fine.

And my back-up pair of shoes is a pair of Aigle snow boots looking a bit like that : http://www.izideal.co.uk/p17048782/aigle-paddy-women-snow-boots-shoes-available-in-black-sizes-2.53.556/

I seldom wear them (I think I had them for the North Cape), they are mostly in case something goes bad with the first pair.

I'm taking these to wear indoors and walking about town. They are waterproof and wool lined

http://www.uggaustralia.com/women-cold-weather-boots/simmens/1005269.html?dwvar_1005269_color=BLK#start=8&cgid=women-boots

And I'm taking these for north cape and dog sledding.

http://www.uggaustralia.com/women-cold-weather-boots/ostrander/1008125.html?dwvar_1008125_color=STT#prefn1=material&prefv1=Waterproof&start=12&cgid=women-boots

And I'll take a pair of ugg slipper/shoes for the plane. I can't sit in boots for 7 hours.

Sound about right?

Yes, I think you're good. I know that you will be given ski suits for the dog sledging and I think (but not completely sure) you will be given shoes, so maybe you will not use the second pair so much, but it is sensible to take 2 pairs of shoes I think. It's a pity though that you can't take one pair on your feet on the plane because they will add a lot of bulk and weight to your suitcase... Can't you just take your shoes off in the plane? But we each manage the best we can, so do what you feel is right for you.

Actually I'm reading your message again and maybe that is what you are planning to do? Wear the boots on boarding and get the slippers on in the plane?

Yes, I think you're good. I know that you will be given ski suits for the dog sledging and I think (but not completely sure) you will be given shoes, so maybe you will not use the second pair so much, but it is sensible to take 2 pairs of shoes I think. It's a pity though that you can't take one pair on your feet on the plane because they will add a lot of bulk and weight to your suitcase... Can't you just take your shoes off in the plane? But we each manage the best we can, so do what you feel is right for you.

Actually I'm reading your message again and maybe that is what you are planning to do? Wear the boots on boarding and get the slippers on in the plane?

Either way. I'm afraid my feet will swell up and I won't get the boots back on.. Lol. So I'm going to wear the boots to board, then switch to the others. The slipper/boots can be worn outdoors if the streets are reasonably dry..

So I'm packing 4 sweaters.. 3 hoodies which I'll wear on board. 5 pair of pants to get me thru 14 days including flights. One hat, one balaclava , wool glove liners, heavy gloves, and a "turtle" scarf for my neck. I have 3 sets of base layers, different weights. Which I can layer depending on the cold. My pants will fit over 2 layers. I have a pair of real snow pants if it's really really cold or sleeting. I looked at soft shell pants to take, but really don't want to spend any more money. I have Yaktraks for my boots, trekking poles( as im prone to fall) and a pair of goggles, just in case that will fit over my glasses. Luckily I'm very "natural" so no need for hair dryers and make up and that kind of stuff. Lol.

And I have a waterproof down parka. Hopefully it won't be too warm. I guess I should bring a raincoat if it's not so cold that I can just wear over a hoodie or sweater...??? I will leave the umbrella at home as the wind would probably just break it. Think I'll leave the binoculars at home as I'm not expecting to see much wild life. I will try to fit my camera into my carry on without a case... To save space. I have one carry on spinner, and one medium spinner. I think I can manage both since the weight is split up.., rather than one huge bag I can't lift.

Am I missing anything? Can't imagine !!!!!

Honestly I think you have at least one pair of pants too many (maybe two) and at least one sweater too. Is if 4 sweaters and 3 hoodies, or are 3 of the sweaters with a hood?

I don't think you need the snow pants if your trousers can fit over two layers. On the other hand, the binoculars might come in handy, even if there is little wildlife, it can help enjoy the landscape.

Edit : I'm sorry I think I'm giving you advice based on my own priorities. Take whatever you think fit for the way you travel. If you are comfortable with your suitcase then it's fine! You won't get cold, for sure.

Edited by SarniaLo

No!!! I appreciate the advice! I'm going to try and eliminate some stuff. I still will take the snow pants tho incase of wet snow. I wore them earlier shoveling snow and they kept me so nice and warm and dry! I'm going to eliminate a pair of black pants cause I can just use my heavy base layer like leggings. And I know which sweater I'll leave out too! That's a start! I always over pack!

Edited by bobbisailsolo

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm here in Bergen. It is cold and windy. My thin gloves are not warm enough. Tomorrow I will wear heavier ones. My feet are staying warm in my boots. I will be wearing a heavy weight thermal base layer under my sweater and pants.. My parka is keeping me warm, though I think I stand out a bit because it is bright red. I didn't wear a hat today, and I needed it. I assume it will be even colder on the deck of the ship, so I am glad for all the layers I took. Hope rhapsody sees my post! Also though the town is free of snow, up on top of Mt Floyen it was all ice. I didn't venture out on it much for fear of slipping. I am glad I brought clamp-ons for my boots. I will probably wear them when in port further north.

Oh! Also glad I brought heavy ski/snow pants. Though they are not attractive, I absolutely do plan on putting them on if I'm going out on deck for any period of time . I'd rather be warm and comfortable than stylish.