Spirit Review Feb 06, 2016

Medtech2

We went on the Platinum BTS tour, which was a very abbreviated version of the tour we had been on on the Sun. I was more impressed with the look and cleanliness of the Sun kitchen, which was just surgically clean and sterile. This ship was not that impressive. It looked clean enough, but it was just worn and tired, with spots of rust and old paint in the laundry area. In the kitchen you could see streaks where things had been wiped, as opposed to the polished look on the Sun.

We did a digital scavenger hunt with 2 ladies from England. It was a lot of fun but we were only given 20 minutes, and that was timed from when we turned over the clues to check in at the end. Basically time enough to do a bit more than half the items. Unfortunately the Stardust Theatre was locked for rehearsal so just getting there cost precious time for nothing (needed a pic of a can can girl). We ended up in second place because of it.

Lunch was very good. Dessert was a Brandy Alexander. There was a T shirt sale in the Atrium and I bought a half price t shirt hat combo but was charged full price, something I did not pay attention to until I went to cut off the price tag. Back down to the Atrium to get that fixed...

shrimp cocktail

ry%3D400

grilled swordfish sandwich with truffle fries, omg my fave

ry%3D400

regular burger and fries

ry%3D400

We were definitely booking it to GSC and the ship was still vibrating tremendously. The weather was cloudy and extremely windy, not a nice sea day to be by the pool for sure.

We went to the Champagne Bar to listen to Pablo and try different Martinis.

Speakeasy Martini--no longer on the menu but ask for it! It's good!!!

ry%3D400

Dinner was at Gardens and I had the Flounder Milanese and DH had the Mixed BBQ, which would have been much better had they not used what tasted like Kraft Barbecue Sauce.

flounder Milanese

ry%3D400

mixed bbq grill

ry%3D400

We saw the Elements Show, which was an esoteric interpretation of earth, wind , fire and water. It had the dancers, the aerialists and the magician in it. I prefer straight up acts and found this a bit too "interpretive" for my tastes. The show ended with the staff coming on stage for a farewell. It just seemed odd to have the farewell before the last night of the cruise.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

sunrise

ry%3D400

approaching GSC

ry%3D400

We started with a lazy breakfast and then went to get a tender for GSC. We took the mid elevator, which you could only use to go to 8, not 7, then had to walk down a flight to 7 where we were directed aft to go to deck 4 to get a tender. Arriving down there they walked us forward, where we stood for a long time as the swells were so large the gangway to the tender was not safe. There was much discussion about sending us back to the aft but they finally started boarding. They were about to stop us to let people go from the elevator area but, quite frankly, after being told to go aft then forward I was in no mood to then be stopped.

different tenders

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

loading provisions to take to shore

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We finally made it to GSC and went to the Patron area to get a clamshell. We picked one that actually had a view of the water but that ended after 40 minutes when a large group of loud 20 somethings pulled their chairs right in front of us. Oh well...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a6dc39b3127cceeb313e601f0600000030O00AZNmjVq5atmYPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00306595546220160218201409844.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

The water was C...O...L...D... Oh my word! My ears actually had sharp stabbing pain from the cold water hitting them. We saw a multitude of fish and also looked around for the bits and pieces of the artificial "shipwreck" they have placed around the lagoon. There was a good sized barracuda hanging around. I came across him by accident and when I turned to point him out to DH the man was capital G gone. So much for protection, lol. I drifted to within 10 feet to get pics and then left it alone. Honestly I don't think they'd bother you unless maybe you had a small shiny item dangling.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I have been on Spirit 3 previos sailings and am doing a 4th in December.

Your writing a really great review.

I especially like all the pics of Maya Chan. I am sure that Mark and Jane appreciate it. I have been to Maya Chan 9 times and consider it my home away from home in Mexico.

We absolutely loved it and will go back, hopefully on a cruise with a longer port day!!

When we got out of the water we had to wrap up in our towels to try to get warm. I know everyone from colder climes enjoyed it but we never got back in. We saw that they were serving freshly grilled hamburgers and hotdogs in our area so we enjoyed a couple. They were quite good. The main buffet with a pretty big selection of items was farther and higher up in the main dining pavilion. The food there, while varied, was all room temp and not very good. I was glad we had those earlier hot and fresh burgers. We took a tender back to the ship around 2:15pm. It took quite a while to launch as they kept waiting for more people. The trip back was much calmer seas.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

the hole, port, whatever your tender pulls up to

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We went to The Blue Lagoon to try the wings and fish and chips. The wings were the worst I have had on a ship. They were crisply fried but tasted reheated and the "hot" sauce was like ketchup. The fish was good although small and the fries were those thin shoestring kind I'm not particularly fond of. BTW Blue Lagoon was not open 24 hours. I passed through it several times and no one was there and the kitchen area looked closed. It was also a thoroughfare so people were constantly walking past you as you ate. I realize this ship is old and converted from another line and it showed by the converted layout and usage of space to fit in the usual Norwegian restaurants. Walkways, parts of the buffet, etc...

We went to Name That Tune in the Champagne bar area but it was packed. We found seats in one of the window alcoves which was a pleasant area to sit in but the waiters and waitresses just kept passing us by, even though we called out and waved. It was quite aggravating and I was fighting not to lose my temper. DH finally went to run down a waiter and tell him we were there.

ry%3D400

We ate at the Garden MDR and even though we were seated on the opposite side we had the same waiter from before. He recommended the prime rib. The kitchen was so backed up it took forever to get our meals and then mine was missing horseradish and sour cream but it was not worth it to ask for it. The food we did get was quite good and fresh and hot but it was apparent the ship assumed everyone would either be eating later or in the buffet. We skipped dessert and went to the Galaxy of the Stars lounge to listen to the show band.

ry%3D400

We stayed for the Karaoke Superstars Finals where I volunteered to be a judge. It was hard because they were all good but one of the criteria was audience response and the crowd went wild for the last guy who sang an Elvis song. His rendition was so spot on that if you closed your eyes you saw that white jumpsuit.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After that was the Quest show. We formed a team with a woman we did not know and then took in a fellow who was by himself but wanted to play. He was an absolute hoot, a real trooper, and a definite asset to our team! While we did not win it was a load of fun. We were so sweaty and tired after playing that we went back to the cabin to pack.

ry%3D400

this guy was just way too prepared for Quest, lol. and I should have looked to see what the lady was left with wearing after she dressed him!

ry%3D400

Around midnight we finally tried to get some sleep but were kept awake by, ahem, noises from our neighbors. All week it had been really quiet at night but oh my word....I have never been in that situation before and didn't know if I should laugh or bang on the wall, lol. Well, at least they had a great finale to their cruise...

We were up by 6am, because of noise from the dock. We showered, packed, and took our luggage to breakfast so that we wouldn't have to hurry and return to the cabin for it. We walked off around 8:15am with absolutely no one! Straight through to customs. Where was everybody? Found the car and the garage was still completely full. A handful of people were outside waiting on shuttles or getting taxis but this was by far the quickest disembarkation we have experienced.

I don't want to leave...

ry%3D400

Last time for steak and eggs...

ry%3D400

Goodbye, Spirit!

ry%3D400

All in all this was my least favorite NCL cruise. Still better than my Carnival experiences but not as nice or enjoyable as the Sun, and definitely not with the excitement and activities of the big ships we have been on.

The past year's changes are apparent and are noticeable if you are a previous customer. Personnel cuts were apparent but the crew maintained a friendly approachable demeanor that is a hallmark of Norwegian, and one of the reasons I keep cruising with them. The fact that a crew member remembered us and stopped us in the Atrium by shouting out "Hey! I remember you both from the Epic!' when that occurred over 5 years ago is amazing to me, when you think of the thousands upon thousands of people this person has been in contact with over the years! There were many other mini-reunions with crew from other ships, though none as far back as this.

The food was for the most part good. While I don't normally eat in the buffet I did walk through several times to see what was there. Usually it looked good but there were times the food appeared old and unappealing. For example the Chicken Parmigiana looked dry and old. There was a Vegetarian section that normally had Indian items. Usually those looked good but there were times when the pans were not being replenished and what was left was picked over and ready to be thrown out. There were personnel to clear plates but not as many as I have seen in the past and certainly not walking about asking if they could get you anything.

Because we had picked the UBP promo before the addition of the added 18% gratuities it was a very good deal for us. We enjoyed trying all the different drinks and the bartenders were certainly happy to oblige any requests if they had the ingredients. I never would have ordered cordials after dinner or really any drinks if I had not had it for free. I don't normally drink because I have reactive hypoglycemia. Basically I don't get drunk. When I have alcohol my body shoots out insulin, which shunts the alcohol straight into my fat cells, bypassing any drunken effects. While I can drink someone under the table I pay for it with greater than normal weight gain. I put on 5 pounds in this one week.

The ship itself was mostly clean but definitely showing its age. Although it had gotten a refurb the tiles in our bathroom were in need of a good scrubbing and the grout needed to be resealed. It was definitely discolored in places.

ry%3D400

While I am glad I was able to collect a ship pin for the Spirit I look forward to the return of the Epic to the States, and especially Port Canaveral.

Arlen was pretty good with the animals but he kept tearing pieces of the dailies to make eyes, and I like to keep a set of pristine dailies in a binder...

I wonder if a steward would appreciate getting some googly eyes or other small items so they could really embellish a towel animal for a child?

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Thank you for sharing your post.

Dear old Platinum Carnival is trying NCL for the first time on the Spirit - just to get away. Get deal with meals and drinks.

Carnival didn't have anything to offer - after all these years of sailing with them.

They lost some business.

Thanks so much, I haven't had a chance to see the full review, but your cabin is going to be similar to mine 11510. I know what to expect. NCL is known for smaller cabins, but for me it will be just fine. Doing the Med in August. Stepping out now but will finish your review when I get back. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The NCL Spirit was the first ship we ever cruised on. It is very near and dear to our hearts, we absolutely loved the layout, and the Asian art. We agree that the cabins are a bit smaller than other ships, but we didn't mind that at all. It is certainly a beautiful ship, we were sad when the NCL Dawn replaced the Spirit for the Boston to Bermuda run. We aren't as fond of the Dawn as we were of the Spirit.

Lorie

The NCL Spirit was the first ship we ever cruised on. It is very near and dear to our hearts, we absolutely loved the layout, and the Asian art. We agree that the cabins are a bit smaller than other ships, but we didn't mind that at all. It is certainly a beautiful ship, we were sad when the NCL Dawn replaced the Spirit for the Boston to Bermuda run. We aren't as fond of the Dawn as we were of the Spirit.

Lorie

You're right, the decor is really very pretty! It had some very pleasant places to sit and relax, and I loved the little statues on the stair landings.

Arlen was pretty good with the animals but he kept tearing pieces of the dailies to make eyes, and I like to keep a set of pristine dailies in a binder...

I wonder if a steward would appreciate getting some googly eyes or other small items so they could really embellish a towel animal for a child?

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Nothing nicer than towel animals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk