Portofino - suggestions please

stpointer

Portofino is a very small picturesque village that attracts some rich and famous because it has a decent pier area where they can tie-up their yachts. On one of our visits a few years ago there was a gorgeous chartered white yacht...and the folks aboard included Ava Gabor and Debbie Reynolds. This is typical of this town, which does have more then its share of cute (and very expensive) boutiques mixed with some more typical tourist-oriented shops. You can easily cover every inch of the town in a couple of hours of just walking around. To put the size of community in perspective, the entire population is probably less than 500 souls.

If you do not want to spend your port day in Portofino, one possibility is to take a tour to Cinque Terre (the closest village would be about 1 1/2 hours from Portofino).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Yes, Portofino is a small, pretty town. Apart from strolling around the town you could also go for a glass of prosecco in the Hotel Il Splendido, haunt of the rich and famous.

We did the hike from Santa Margherita to Portofino and decided to stop at Hotel Splendido for a cocktail before heading back. We had two Champagne (not prosecco) cocktails each while enjoying the lovely sights of the town below us ... the bill was $160 USD! We had a great laugh all the way back on our hike to Santa Margherita. :D

I want to add that you can go on two nice kids on Portofino. That is what we did. It is beautiful. Yes, there are many special restaurants there too. And do consider going to Santa Margerita.

Often people feel they have to run.

Don't do that.

Smell the roses.

Take in the sites.

My view.

Keith

brunello22

Ha, ha you will certainly remember those champagne cocktails. I hope they were good.

Reminds me of going for lunch in Claridges in London with a friend. When the sommelier came around he asked if we would like a glass of champagne . I had the house one, but my friend had Bollinger.

When we got the bill it had cost an arm and a leg. We got a taxi outside the hotel and I took her to a nice Spanish place I knew and we had a whole bottle of Cava for her one glass of Bolli. We laughed too.

brunello22

Ha, ha you will certainly remember those champagne cocktails. I hope they were good.

Reminds me of going for lunch in Claridges in London with a friend. When the sommelier came around he asked if we would like a glass of champagne . I had the house one, but my friend had Bollinger.

When we got the bill it had cost an arm and a leg. We got a taxi outside the hotel and I took her to a nice Spanish place I knew and we had a whole bottle of Cava for her one glass of Bolli. We laughed too.

Yes, the Champagne cocktails were good, so good that we had two each! Guess we should have known when we were offered the Moet et Chandon! La Dolce Vita! :D

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/15/2019 at 10:37 PM, cansas.piligrim said:

I was in Portofino for one day. I visited it especially for diving in Portofino Marine Reserve.  There are very picturesque sites under water and a lot of fish.

Do you have more information about diving near Portofino please? My son in law would love to dive during our cruise. Thanks

46 minutes ago, Ine said:

Do you have more information about diving near Portofino please? My son in law would love to dive during our cruise. Thanks

I do not know if in portofino there are diving center  surely you have a coupple in Santa margherita

31 minutes ago, salabc said:

I do not know if in portofino there are diving center  surely you have a coupple in Santa margherita

Since our ship will be in Portofina and we need to tender I hoped to find one in Portofino. I am afraid time will be too short otherwise. Thanks anyway.

39 minutes ago, Ine said:

Since our ship will be in Portofina and we need to tender I hoped to find one in Portofino. I am afraid time will be too short otherwise. Thanks anyway.

assume they can also have portofino as starting point or arrange a pick up

portofino/ santa margherita are very close  

2 minutes ago, salabc said:

assume they can also have portofino as starting point or arrange a pick up

portofino/ santa margherita are very close  

Do you have a contact or website so I can contact or check that?