Koala bears

lynnek

Let's make it clear, you are highly unlikely to see Koala's outside zoos or wildlife parks. I know people who have lived here all their life and have neve seen one in the wild.

They spend about 80% of their time 30 foot in the air in a gum tree, into which they blend nicely.

Now Roos are a different thing however where most cruises go you won't see them in the wild either, maybe dead on the side of the road.

• 3 weeks later...
I saw a koala in one of the shopping areas in the main street of Noosa, Queensland. Somehow, it had strayed from the National Park.

It was running around for about half an hour.

Eventually, two police officers trapped it with a net and put it in the boot of their car. They said they were going to take it back to the National Park.

My husband is a cab driver in Noosa, he has told me about that little guy a few times..

apparently he likes to stroll with the tourists...:D

John said the best part is the look on tourists faces when the Koala just walks past

Edited by jannandjohn

You can see them quite easily on Kangaroo Island, just have to know where to go. A few years ago I remember walking down an avenue of trees with a Koala in every one. In fact they are a bit of a nuisance due to overpopulation and decimating the trees.

Yes, Kangaroo Island is an excellent location where you can catch these cute and charming creatures out in the "wild". BUT, there are some major "IF's"!! Koalas are fairly small in physical size and can often be found up higher in certain trees.

In many cases, it takes BOTH some luck and a skilled guide to help you locate and catch them out in the wild. Overall, we super loved Kangaroo Island. More details and many more of my visuals can be found on my live/blog connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 139,319 views for this posting.

While on amazing Kangaroo Island, 70 miles south of Adelaide in South Australia, here is a wonderful (but heat stressed) koala.:

GBRLizIslanReef4_zpsc6c944ce.jpg

With Craig Wickham, the operator of Exceptional Kangaroo Island, he took us on a "hunt", successfully, to find koalas out in the wild. Is this one lovable?:

KangIslandOneA1_zpsc37fce84.jpg

At Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary nearby to Hobart, Tasmania, we were able to see koala up close and personal! Unlike at Kangaroo Island, we did not see this one in the wild, but here we were in only a short distance away. What a face?:

TasWildlifeCtr110_zps57a44f7e.jpg

We're on your Singapore cruise! We had a koala photo done at Australia Zoo (quite a few years ago now), Australia Zoo (of Steve Irwin fame) is fabulous, you can access it via the Brisbane stop on our itinerary. Or if you have time in Sydney pre-cruise Featherdale Wildlife Park in Western Sydney is great for Aussie wildlife too. We live in rural Victoria and occasionally see koalas in the wild, often crossing the road or by the roadside, but they are chance encounters and to go seeking them is near impossible.

The pic below is us taken at Australia Zoo.

2062822807_OzZooKoala.jpg.9e27b345a17a6554826d672df064e3ab.jpg

We're on your Singapore cruise! We had a koala photo done at Australia Zoo (quite a few years ago now), Australia Zoo (of Steve Irwin fame) is fabulous, you can access it via the Brisbane stop on our itinerary. Or if you have time in Sydney pre-cruise Featherdale Wildlife Park in Western Sydney is great for Aussie wildlife too. We live in rural Victoria and occasionally see koalas in the wild, often crossing the road or by the roadside, but they are chance encounters and to go seeking them is near impossible.

The pic below is us taken at Australia Zoo.

You can cuddle a Koala at Featherdale but you can't hold one..... Queensland is the only state where you are allowed to actually hold one.

while I've never been to Kangaroo Island I think it'd be pretty hard to beat Magnetic Island (off Townsville) for potential koala in the wild sightings. I've seen one in the wild each time I've been there, and even had one walk through a BBQ once.

I totally agree, as a Townsville local I do not think there has been a day or time when I have walked the Forts Walk on Maggie and NOT seen a koala bear. Great for the tourists, while the locals also love them they tend to be a little more complacent about their sightings! BTW there are lots of lovely walks with fantastic wildlife (not just KBs) and beautiful vistas on Maggie! However I am a little biased.....:D