Staying Healthy while Cruising - How to beat the bugs

Esahuma

Methinks there's a flaw in your criticism - and it's called assumption.:mad::rolleyes:

Let me help clear things up for you, and add more detail since you seem so concerned...

I am a lady, not a man. I rarely wear trousers, and I rarely wear a tucked-in shirt. The type of shirt tail I would use would be that of a blouse, peasant top, shell top, or similar shirt, always worn untucked, on the outside of my skirt. And the shirt would not have been touched in the toilet stall;):rolleyes:, or for that matter, probably not at all since I took the shirt out of my closet and donned it.

Furthermore, I would use said shirt tail only in the worst case scenario: only if no paper towels or tissues are provided in the restroom, I don't have any tissues in my purse, the door is the pull-to-exit type, and no one comes through the door while I'm in the vicinity (in that case, I would slip through after them, without touching the door).

And even furthermore, I immediately use an alcohol hand-sanitizing wipe after having to resort to using my shirt tail as a barrier between my hand and the door, every time.

You don't have to counsel me on proper hygiene. I am a former veterinary surgical assistant with mild germaphobic tendencies. I know proper hand-washing protocol and always practice it, along with precautions to keep my clean hands from getting recontaminated from all the filthy pigs that don't wash their hands in the public restroom.

So, good job on assuming and getting it completely, utterly wrong.:cool:

But tell me, O Wise One, what would you do in the same situation to get out of the restroom?

I don't think the principle is wildly different for a lady or a man, nor is it wildly different whether the lady (or the man) wears trousers or a skirt. Without going into unnecessary detail, I don't see how it's possible to ensure that a shirt touches nothing at all in the cubicle and you don't touch it with your hands, but if you're happy, that's fine.

However, people less careful than you do touch their clothes after using the toilet (especially people wearing trousers) and in their case, their clothes become a ticking time bomb ready to go off as soon as (for example) they hitch up their trousers or tuck their shirt in. Trousers and belts are not sanitised several times a day.

I would leave the restroom by putting my hand on the handle and opening the door. I don't believe that, for me, avoidance of normal germs is necessary for normal life, and so far I've been correct. Other people may of course react differently and need to take extra precautions.

I don't think the principle is wildly different for a lady or a man, nor is it wildly different whether the lady (or the man) wears trousers or a skirt. Without going into unnecessary detail, I don't see how it's possible to ensure that a shirt touches nothing at all in the cubicle and you don't touch it with your hands, but if you're happy, that's fine.

However, people less careful than you do touch their clothes after using the toilet (especially people wearing trousers) and in their case, their clothes become a ticking time bomb ready to go off as soon as (for example) they hitch up their trousers or tuck their shirt in. Trousers and belts are not sanitised several times a day.

I would leave the restroom by putting my hand on the handle and opening the door. I don't believe that, for me, avoidance of normal germs is necessary for normal life, and so far I've been correct. Other people may of course react differently and need to take extra precautions.

Well if you don't understand how the mechanics of my shirt, worn on the outside of my skirt is "wildly different" from a shirt tucked into trousers, I can't help you. It comes down to: I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.;) However, in the spirit of trying to explain it to you once more, "without going into unnecessary detail" (too late:rolleyes:), I'll give you a little hint: skirts lift up.;) I thought we all knew that. I guess I shouldn't have assumed, right?

So let me get this right, you jump all over me to falsely point out how my hands and shirt are all "germy" doing what I do, you continue on this course with this post ("ticking time bomb trousers" - I love it!:p), and then you finish by admitting you touch the door handle with your bare hand?!?!

What was your point in lambasting me in the first place?!!? Sometimes reading these boards, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.:eek::rolleyes:

Well if you don't understand how the mechanics of my shirt, worn on the outside of my skirt is "wildly different" from a shirt tucked into trousers, I can't help you. It comes down to: I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.;) However, in the spirit of trying to explain it to you once more, "without going into unnecessary detail" (too late:rolleyes:), I'll give you a little hint: skirts lift up.;) I thought we all knew that. I guess I shouldn't have assumed, right?

So let me get this right, you jump all over me to falsely point out how my hands and shirt are all "germy" doing what I do, you continue on this course with this post ("ticking time bomb trousers" - I love it!:p), and then you finish by admitting you touch the door handle with your bare hand?!?!

What was your point in lambasting me in the first place?!!? Sometimes reading these boards, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.:eek::rolleyes:

I apologise if I made you feel I was lambasting you. I thought I was merely disagreeing, but you certainly weren't meant to take it as such strong personal criticism.

As for your shirt tail, obviously I now realise that your shirt is clean, and you (but probably only you) are as free as possible from germs. But the point still stands for the wider public, many of whom also use shirt tails to open doors without taking your unusual care, that they are probably using something that's as mucky as the door handle that they're avoiding.

And the point of my posting was to point out (wrongly and clearly far too aggressively) that you were (in my inaccurate opinion) wasting your time with the shirt tail. But the point still stands for the large majority of passengers, that if they have the same determination to avoid germs at all costs, they must find some way of cleaning the waistband and belt of their trousers every time they use the convenience.

I apologise if I made you feel I was lambasting you. I thought I was merely disagreeing, but you certainly weren't meant to take it as such strong personal criticism.

As for your shirt tail, obviously I now realise that your shirt is clean, and you (but probably only you) are as free as possible from germs. But the point still stands for the wider public, many of whom also use shirt tails to open doors without taking your unusual care, that they are probably using something that's as mucky as the door handle that they're avoiding.

And the point of my posting was to point out (wrongly and clearly far too aggressively) that you were (in my inaccurate opinion) wasting your time with the shirt tail. But the point still stands for the large majority of passengers, that if they have the same determination to avoid germs at all costs, they must find some way of cleaning the waistband and belt of their trousers every time they use the convenience.

I'm just going to say apology accepted and call this done.

So, apology accepted. Thank you. Have a nice day.:)

Flu shot and a pneumonia shot. Drink lots of fluids. I think more germs other than noro are spread via coughs and sneezes. You might also grab a napkin in the buffett to grab the utensils, then toss before sitting down. Keep a pack of wet wipes in your pocket to use to grab handles or touch buttons. Avoid shaking hands.

Drink lots of wine..ok this isn't scientifically proven to kill germs.

If your doctor does this, she's an idiot who deserves to have her license revoked!

Seriously, this is the STUPIDEST thing you can do. SERIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY STUPID.

Go to any hospital and ask any nurse.... every single one will tell you how stupid your idea is.

(Note that I'm not saying YOU are stupid... just that this particular idea (a "just in case" prescription and a "precautionary" prescription) is COMPLETELY, insanely stupid.)

I don't think this is stupid at all. I travel extensively for work. We also travel internationally for almost all vacations. We usually take 4-7 weeks off to travel. Most of the people I know who travel extensively overseas, always ask for a prescription of Cipro and fill it before they go. I've known it to be a lifesaver for several friends who got nasty bugs from Asia, Africa and Europe. If you become extremely ill, having an already filled prescription can greatly affect your recovery time. I would never take it without calling the 24/7 nurse line or seeing a doctor, but running around to try to find antibiotics when you are super sick is not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't think this is stupid at all. I travel extensively for work. We also travel internationally for almost all vacations. We usually take 4-7 weeks off to travel. Most of the people I know who travel extensively overseas, always ask for a prescription of Cipro and fill it before they go. I've known it to be a lifesaver for several friends who got nasty bugs from Asia, Africa and Europe. If you become extremely ill, having an already filled prescription can greatly affect your recovery time. I would never take it without calling the 24/7 nurse line or seeing a doctor, but running around to try to find antibiotics when you are super sick is not fun.

There is a medical center and a slew of medications available on every cruise ship, and it's available 24/7 with a simple phone call. This is not the same as climbing Everest where you're cut off from civilization. A doctor and medications are available -- no need to bring your own or take them without benefit of medical evaluation (you indicated calling or seeing a health professional before taking them -- the OP did not indicate the same).

And there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to take antibiotics when not ill "as a precaution" before going on a cruise. None whatsoever. Period.

I love all these assumptions flying around. I do this or that and never get sick so it works. If you do that it will work for you too.

I have yet to see the mentality that everyone's body is different and it takes a certain exposure and a certain immune system for someone to get sick. Maybe you Lysol down every inch of a cabin. Does this mean that you're not exposed to anything? No. Are you lessening your exposure? Somewhat. Is the necessary to avoid an illness, you really can't prove it.

Vitamin C has be clinically proven in double blind studies to reduce the length of the common cold by.....wait for it..... one hour. Does it harm you taking it? Nope. Does it do any good? Probably not. Does chicken soup, or antibiotics or those charcoal things you put in your shoe to draw out toxins by your feet? Nope, but it does pass the time while you get over a cold and makes you feel like you're doing something.

Wash your hands, don't sneeze on each other and good luck. But please can we stop with the I do this and so I know that it works and everyone should do the same as me? It really sounds silly because that's not how our bodies work, everyone being different and all.

man o man....some of you folks go way overboard (in my opinion) to try and avoid getting sick. I just live my life and if I get sick, i get sick. Of course I am out and about all the time and have probably been exposed to most of this stuff anyway and have gotten some immunity to the various illnesses. Just in the last week I have been in from Houston-Lima OH-Cincinnatti-back to Lima OH-Edison NJ-Paulasboro NJ-Sufolk VA and will be in Tampa tomorrow then Jacksonville on Tuesday. I interact with people all day, my sleep pattern is not the best and I don't eat as well as I should and yet I haven't been sick in probably 10 years. :rolleyes: I have been drunk the water in Mexico. :p

Oh man! You've got one foot in the grave and don't even know it! ;)

I have been on 15 cruises and I got sick on one of them. My husband and I take the following precautions: We wipe down the room (hotel and cruiseship room) with lysol wipes, particularly all handles, the tv remote, and the phone. We carry hand sanitizer with us in a little bottle and sanitize before we eat and every little while in between. I am bad for this, but I try not to touch my mouth and face, or rub my eyes. Use a paper towel when opening the door to leave the bathroom. Use my knuckle to press the elevator button. Try not to stand or sit too close to coughing, sneezing, and otherwise unwell passengers.

I avoid the Hand sanitizers and will refuse the use of them. Never got sick.

The question was how to avoid catching a bug - how does refusing their use help you in that effort?

Also, even if they are only marginally effective, they do have some effect - so your coming into a self service area after avoiding them helps spread whatever you have picked up from handrails, elevator buttons, etc. to others.

It is not ALL about you.