Photo Review: Celebrity Silhouette 2/7/16 Western Caribbean

HeatherC430

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The top decks were pretty much packed once back on-board. During any "busy" times like sea days or when the vast majority of the passengers were back on-board from a day in port, it always seemed difficult to find a seat that wasn't smack up against someone else. It would be nice if there was a little more space in between at least some of the loungers on the top decks.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

We actually saw a submarine being towed by a boat (this was a first).

ry%3D480

Several afternoons we'd see these placed on the lawn. Today it was an "Acoustic Concert". I felt the lawn space was a bit underutilized though. Very rarely did we ever actually see anything going on at the time we were walking by. At most, we'd see staging for an upcoming event like today.

ry%3D480

Views of the port pier and cruisers heading back to their respective ships.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The house band played outside for a short time on the stage outside in the main pool area.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This may have been the night we stayed in the room all night (skipped dinner and everything) because I don't have a single picture from the evening hours. Up next, Grand Cayman...

We were scheduled to use the Georgetown terminal, but that morning there was an announcement that the sea was too rough in that area and we were not able to dock there. The captain relayed that he was making arrangements for us to use another dock (I can't recall the name of this dock or area in which we were), but it only had enough room for 3 ships at one time. So, our time was slightly delayed while we waited for a medical stop for one ship to leave the port so that we could dock. I was just happy that our day in port wasn't going to be missed. Days in port and excursions are my favorite part of cruising!

A few ships as we were pulling into port...

ry%3D480

The Equinox

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The Carnival Breeze (my favorite of all Carnival ships)

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

So, our arrival time was pushed back. We were supposed to dock at 10am. Our Celebrity today stated that guests who did not have a Celebrity excursion booked, but planned to go to shore independently, would need to obtain a tender ticket in Cellar Masters that morning starting at 9:30. I was in line just as they opened and were among the first few groups of people to get their tender tickets. I got 2 (for myself and DH) and others were getting multiples for however many were in your group (you only had to have one person in line to get tickets for your group). I'm glad I got there when I did, because it was well after 11am before they started having the tender ticket numbers called. They first started with any Celebrity excursions that were to leave early.

I was worried because I had booked my excursion independently, and we were to meet the tour company at the Georgetown port at 12:15. I didn't know how long it would take to get from the new port to the Georgetown port and find my excursion operator (especially since the ship wasn't docking there - would they think that we would no show?). These are the sorts of things that worry someone like me when traveling and I have all details laid out for my day in port.

I'm pretty sure the first tender tickets they started calling was 8 (all tickets earlier than that were for early shore excursions). We were in group 9 an anxiously awaiting their call.

ry%3D480

And we're tendering...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Prior to the cruise, it was difficult to find an independent tour that was available during the time we were in port 10am-6pm, that didn't have a ton of people onboard the tour and included stops at Stingray City and Starfish beach as those were the two places I wanted to visit on this trip. I've been to Grand Cayman several times but haven't been to either of those places before.

Less than a month before the cruise, I stumbled up "Starfish Point, Stingray City & Rum Reef Jet Ski Safari" through Discount Excursions. The total cost for the both of us on one jet ski was $160 total and required a small deposit when booking (remainder due day of tour).

Once they started calling the tender numbers, it wasn't long before we were on our way off the ship. It's been some time since I've been to a tender port. It's times like these that you really take for granted just walking off the ship at your leisure. Once we were at the dock, I started asking around to see if there was a tour representative for the company we used. Eventually after asking a few different people, we found someone who knew what we were talking about and pointed us in the right direction. Luckily, they had our information upon arrival. They let us know that since the sea was rough, they would give us the refund of the deposit we had already made if we didn't want to go due to the conditions. My DH and I looked at each other and agreed we were going. So, off we went (just the two of us, so I assume either no one else was booked on the tour, or they backed out). I was really pleased to see that the tour company was already looped in with the re-routing of the ships to the different port and waiting for us at the port (this was a huge relief). They drove us a bit to what seemed like a small resort where they offered jet skis right off the private beach. Our driver suited us up with life jackets and we had to wait a bit for our tour guide to arrive. Once he did, it wasn't long before we were on the jet ski and on our way.

Did I mention I've never been on a jet ski? Well, shockingly, I haven't. My DH had several jet skis back in the day (before he had boats) so he's been well versed in water motor-sports. We spend a good portion of our summers on the lake boating so I'm around jet skis (my DH's best friend even just bought a new one last summer), but somehow, this would be a first for me. As promised, we headed to Stingray City for the longest of the stops, which was an amazing experience interacting with the stingrays! Then we made a stop at Rum Beach (where we spend a mere $40 on one fruity drink and 2 Coronas). Our last stop was at Starfish Beach, which was really cool to see all the starfish on the shallow beach! Then, before you knew it the day in port was almost over and it was time to head back to the resort to drop off the jet skis, following by another van ride back to port.

How was my first jet ski experience? I lived to tell about it. During much of the time spent ON the jetski, I couldn't help but think flying off was a real possibility. And if you think that it looks as if I was put through the ringer in the pictures you're about to see, it's because that's pretty much exactly how I felt. Being blasted in the face with salty sea water time and time again, hanging on for dear life. It was fun though, and it did get better the more "used" to being on the jet ski I became. All I know, is thank god I didn't sign myself up to drive one myself, because it wouldn't have happened. The sea was really rough as they had warned us. When the tour was over, my DH said that's what made it fun for him, having the rough seas to contend with. As long as he had fun...and I lived to tell about it!

Below are the details from the website.

https://www.discountexcursions.com/grandcayman/jet-ski-safari-starfish-stingray-rum-reef

Starfish Point, Stingray City & Rum Reef Jet Ski Safari, Grand Cayman

Embark on this exciting Jet Ski Tour in Grand Cayman. This is a 3 Stop Jet Ski Tour in Grand Cayman that includes a snorkel at the world famous Stingray City, Starfish Point and a Snorkel at Rum Reef. This tour takes 3hrs to complete for cruise passengers visiting grand Cayman. On-Island guests are encouraged to do the afternoon departure which may take longer to complete. The Jet Ski Tour includes a visit to Stingray City where you can feed, pet and play with the amazingly friendly and docile Southern Stingrays. Then you will go to a snorkeling stop along a lively coral reef called Rum Reef - a less traveled area and very beautiful. You will also visit Starfish Beach which is called that because of the starfish that hang out there and then finish off by taking a tour through the mangrove forest (Cayman's natural wetlands). Please note that we do not stop at Rum Point Beach on this exursion. Touring back through the mangroves can be done only if there is enough time on the day.

Price includes round trip transport to and from the cruise terminal, all snorkel gear & life jackets and tour guide! Duration of this tour is 2.5hrs on the water. Please allow additional 30mins for transport.

Please note this Grand Cayman Jet Ski Excursion does NOT stop at Rum Point Beach for cruise guests due to time restrictions. We do a snorkel stop at the Rum REEF, a beautiful coral reef that is far away from the crowds, as well as Starfish Beach and Stingray City Sandbar.

This is a small-group, personalized tour with only 5 jet skis max per departure (10 persons). If your party has more than 10 persons, please contact us well in advance so that we can best accommodate your custom jet ski tour.

Other Details:

Single Jet Ski: holds 1 person - $120

Double Jet Ski: holds 2 persons - $160

Duration: 3hrs (2.5hrs on the water, 30mins each way for transport)

Minimum age: to drive a single jet ski is 16 years old | Minimum age to drive a double jet ski is 18 years old | Minimum age to ride on a double jet ski with an adult is 6 years old.

Max weight: per jet ski is 450lbs.

Must have valid credit card in drivers name to do all jet ski activities in Grand Cayman.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Stingray City was our first stop. I was glad that our tour guide kept us at a distance from the rest of the boats and others doing tours, so that we had our own personal space to interact with the stingrays. My only complaint about this part was after we fed the stingrays one or two pieces of food each, that was it (in terms of food to give to them). I would have at least liked a warning that the one piece of stringray food was it, so make it a good one! And I realize that we rolled up on a jetski, but they have compartments in them where there would have been room to put more food for them.

Even after we were out of food, the stingrays would continue to come around, although they didn't stay long after they realized we didn't have any food. We spent an adequate time with them, and our guide let us decide how much time to spend before heading to our next stop. The guide had masks so that you could see them under the water as well. While we were there, I was really glad we decided to do this small tour (that ended up being just us) rather than one of the boats loaded down with people.

We had interacted with Stingrays on another tour in Nassau before, but this was more unique in that it was "in the wild" rather than a ship orchestrated shore excursion where the stingrays were in a contained environment.

Some of the pictures are too entertaining not to post, so I just ask that you look past my double-chin in some of the pictures (that's how you know it was an "authentic" experience!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

All of the small stingrays we saw were all males.

ry%3D480

As we were driving back to port, I took this picture out the van window to show how rough the waves were that day. Our driver was asking about our jetski trip on the way back to port. He said, many times in the last few weeks when the waves were rough like this, people on the tour would demand their money back on the tour after it was finished (even after they had been warned of the sea conditions like we had been). My DH took it upon himself to tell the driver how much we enjoyed the tour, and the rough waves made it "fun".

ry%3D480

Upon arrival at the port, there were lines where you had to show your ship id before entering the gated area. Luckily the line for the Silhouette was the shortest line of them all. Then, everyone flocks to the tenders....

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480