When to book on Delta using miles

wasup254

Hello,

Trying to make sure we get the lowest number of miles needed to fly from Auckland to Seattle in mid Nov of this year

We are seeing right now, 45,000 miles per person needed, one way, we have the needed 90,000...but we are not sure of the exact date of the flight..we are trying to figure out how long to stay in Auckland, after the cruise....

I do check Delta weekly for the flight and the needed miles and it has not changed

I even do a pretend reservation and say date of departure is for 2 months from now and the 45,000 is available..

Anyone have an advice on when to start getting serious about the flight booking?

Thanks

I actually don't see this as excessive considering the miles...Perhaps you should get serious....My humble experience has been the closer you get, DL miles usually will go up not down. JMHO as a DL flyer.

When using miles, as soon as possible is always the best answer because inventory varies constantly. Only the Delta computer system could tell you when those seats will go up in redemption cost. Keep in mind that only a certain number of seats are available for redemption on any flight, and the closer you get to the trip the more likely they'll disappear. I am not well versed in Delta, but in general it's known to be difficult to find two seats in business class available for redemption.

I met a woman using UA miles from Australia to Miami and she booked 330 days out to get her seats.

There is no magic schedule that will guarantee the lowest redemption rate. I think 45K isn't bad for US to Australia so I'd go ahead and book them.

45,000 is a great rate. There are very limited seats at dthe various FF reward levels, and once they are gone, they are gone. As soon as you decide on your dates, grab your seats.

There are very few SkyTeam airlines serving AKL, so if you get ANY seats, you are doing well. DL itself doesn't fly there - you would most likely have to use Korean or China Eastern, possibly China Airlines.

There is an evening flight from AKL to Shanghai on China Eastern (MU) with about a 7 hour connection to the DL non-stop to Seattle. Probably the easiest routing you can get. The 7 hours is enough for you to go into Shanghai via the metro (or maglev) and at least see a bit of the town. If a US citizen, you can go that without a full China visa.

45k is good. Grab it.

And yes...there is no "magic date".

Hello,

Trying to make sure we get the lowest number of miles needed to fly from Auckland to Seattle in mid Nov of this year

We are seeing right now, 45,000 miles per person needed, one way, we have the needed 90,000...but we are not sure of the exact date of the flight..we are trying to figure out how long to stay in Auckland, after the cruise....

I do check Delta weekly for the flight and the needed miles and it has not changed

I even do a pretend reservation and say date of departure is for 2 months from now and the 45,000 is available..

Anyone have an advice on when to start getting serious about the flight booking?

Thanks

You are lucky to find flights at all, and the cost will only go up! Grab those seats and be happy you got Award Seats at all ;)