Good resource for finding out about shore excursions?

mengel246

Hello!

We are going on a cruise for the first time in April and taking our 3 and 5 year old children. I'd like to find out about a couple of good shore excursions for us to do with them that are age appropriate but I'm overwhelmed with all the information.

We did not use a travel agent to book this cruise, but is it worth it to find one to help us plan shore excursions? Is there a good resource to finding ones that would work for us and our children?

We will be on the NCL Western Caribbean ship. I believe the ports are Ochos Rios, George Town Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Grand Stirrup Cay Bahamas.

Thanks in advance

I would look in the Ports of Call forums for your stops:

Jamaica; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Cayman: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

Cozumel: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

For Great Stirrup Cay, I would check the NCL forum, since that is a private destination for that cruise line:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

I doubt you'll find a TA that will do that for you, unless you booked the trip thru them.

Get a guidebook! It's more than possible that the things you want to do don't require an excursion at all! Most things are very easy (and much cheaper) on your own! A guidebook will point you in the right direction. Libraries have guidebooks!!

GSC is a beach day, and included in your fare. No excursions needed unless you want to..and there, you MUST book thru the ship....consider that day part of the ship!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Clarea has linked you to some useful Cruise Critic posts.

Also check the ship's excursions. Not necessarily to take a ship's excursion, but for inspiration.

Likewise check out the offerings of Viator, City Discovery and cruisingexcursions.com. Again, not necessarily to book with them but as a short-cut to figuring out the places of interest & activities.

I'd go for climbing the Dunns River Falls at Ocho Rios.

And swimming with stingrays on Grand Caymen - you can pick up a boat tour on the pier.

Punch both of them into googleimages & youtube.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

As others have said, take a look at what the ship offers in the ports. This will give you ideas for what to do in each port...what might appeal to your family. Then go to the ports of call boars and trip advisor to find operators (if applicable) and read reviews about them.

This isn't really what a travel agent does--they'll book your fights for you or your cruise, but they don't generally book what you do in the ports of call--I've never heard of one doing that. I wouldn't think the vast majority of TAs would be familiar with every single port of call and all the options of things to do there; i'd much rather do the research myself than get recommendations from a TA who may or may not have even been there before.

Lately we've been using 'cruiseportwiki.com' to research ports. So far the only port I've found that they don't cover is the Guernsey Islands. The site gives basic information about each port (what currency it uses, etc.), a map, what there is to see, and information about what's right around the pier area and transportation options. Sometimes based on that information we decide we don't need a tour at all, just walk around the pier area. There's another similar resource 'Tomsportguides.com', but it seemed to want you to download a PDF file which I'd rather not do unless absolutely necessary.

If we do want a tour, then we Google whatever attraction we're interested in seeing and check Trip Advisor for tour reviews. Your roll call may also be a good resource. Finding the perfect port activity involves a little work on your part, but for us, the research and planning are one of the best parts of cruising.

Lately we've been using 'cruiseportwiki.com' to research ports. So far the only port I've found that they don't cover is the Guernsey Islands. The site gives basic information about each port (what currency it uses, etc.), a map, what there is to see, and information about what's right around the pier area and transportation options. Sometimes based on that information we decide we don't need a tour at all, just walk around the pier area. There's another similar resource 'Tomsportguides.com', but it seemed to want you to download a PDF file which I'd rather not do unless absolutely necessary.

If we do want a tour, then we Google whatever attraction we're interested in seeing and check Trip Advisor for tour reviews. Your roll call may also be a good resource. Finding the perfect port activity involves a little work on your part, but for us, the research and planning are one of the best parts of cruising.

Thank-you for sharing this resource, looks very useful!:)