'Gastroenteritis' now on Regatta

marylizcat

I find this list most interesting, since it doesn't list the noro outbreak that delayed our embarkation on the Azamara Quest from Singapore in February 2010. Perhaps because there were only 10 passengers and 7 crew members affected, it didn't require reporting. I don't know what the reporting requirements are, nor if they are different if the ship doesn't stop in a US port. So perhaps there are a lot more minor outbreaks that we never hear about.

I just went back to see if the noro outbreaks on the Celebrity Eclipse's June 2013 and October 2014 were on the report. Both of these cruises were out of Southampton and we had delayed departures due to the outbreak being right before our cruise. In fact the 2013 Eclipse cruise had noro on two consecutive cruises before us, neither which are listed.

So the CDC list, although most interesting, certainly doesn't list all ships and cruises that have had noro on them.

I find this list most interesting, since it doesn't list the noro outbreak that delayed our embarkation on the Azamara Quest from Singapore in February 2010. Perhaps because there were only 10 passengers and 7 crew members affected, it didn't require reporting. I don't know what the reporting requirements are, nor if they are different if the ship doesn't stop in a US port. So perhaps there are a lot more minor outbreaks that we never hear about.

Exactly

The criteria is 2-3% sick

& usually not on the American CDC site unless the ship is headed to a US port

Lesser known

http://zebra.healthspace.com/clients/hc-sc/whpsp/whpsp_phb_website.nsf/Ship-CityList?OpenView&Count=1000

I will bet the U.K. has an inspection program as well

Paulchili: Maybe I'm looking at a different list but Crystal is on the list for 2013 http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2015

Yes TC, Crystal had one noro outbreak in 2013 according to the CDC. I was on that cruise. Fortunately, I didn't get sick nor did my husband.

The way Crystal handled the situation was night and day compared to all I have read and heard regarding the outbreaks on the Riviera. The communications on Crystal were frequent, the protocols went into effect quickly and I felt Crystal did all the right things. While crew and staff did extra sanitizing and cleaning, there were outside crews brought in at every port to take over the cleaning of the ship. We were fortunate that it was only a 7 day cruise and several of the ports were in the US. In addition, anyone that visited the doctor was not charged and the folks that were quarantined were credit their per diem amounts. I never saw anyone fumigating or fogging areas, wiping down surfaces with goop and the service did not suffer despite the fact that a high percentage of crew members were quarantined from time to time. I felt that the Senior Management/Officers on the Symphony knew what to do and how to handle the situation. The next sailing was delayed by several hours but the virus was gone.

Bottom line, this can happen on any ship and it will continue to happen. I'm glad that it happened while I was on the Crystal Symphony as opposed to the Riviera. I had good friends, experienced cruisers, mostly on Crystal, on the 2/12 Riviera sailing and while they did not get sick, they were shocked how things were handled.

Nancy

that I will speak up when I see non-washing of hands. Hope I don't lose my nerve, when it is they that should be mortified!

I have done this for years, on and off ships, but then, I have always had a lot of nerve. ;)

I wash my hands prior to going into the stall as well as after using the facilities, even though I am pretty sure the only germs with which my fingers or palms come into contact are the door handles on the way into the stall. I do not touch the cooties-full door handle with my bare hands.

Therefore, I am not likely to use the gel stations just for appearance's sake (which is all it would be) unless I have not been anywhere near a bathroom or stateroom just prior, and that is highly unlikely. Also, I am never without hand wipes of all types and tissues.

After my husband has touched a menu, he often gets up and goes to wash his hands before dining.

Having said all that, I think the majority of the norovirus/gastroenteritis is spread by food handlers on strict schedules and less likely , not diners.

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

"see something, say something" doesn't just refer to terrorists. Repeat after me:

"Excuse me. Are you aware that, by not washing your hands (or not coughing/sneezing into the crook of your elbow), you will subject numerous others to whatever germs you are transporting?"

As to their possible answers, you only need two retorts: "thank you" or "how rude."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Has anyone ever told you where to go when you politely ask them to wash?

No, never. Typically, they say "thanks, I almost forgot," though I don't know if they were actually grateful. :)

I used to be a teacher (university age students), and usually manage to say it in a way which does not cause any confrontation.

Chair hogs are significantly worse. There is a clear sense of entitlement there. Nevertheless, I just approach that situation as a "sorry, you can't do that" in a tone that suggests they can't, really can't....do that.

P.S. While polite, I tend not to "ask."

Edited by Oceans&Rivers