Zuiderdam verses Radiance of the Seas

We are trying to pick one. We are in our 50's and plan on taking my Mother. Zuiderdam verses Radiance of the Seas Which one is better? Thanks for the information!

I cannot comment on the Radiance, but have been on the "Z" took my 73 year old mother..

Pros: Food was better than RCI

Half Moon Cay IMO is nicer than Labadee, or the other private Island RCI uses (can't think of the name, been a while)

There will be a lot of older folks on this ship (which my mom found boring actually)

Cons: Customer Service stinks on HAL, if you have a problem your most likely going to get the run around and not just from the customer relations on the ship, from Seattle as well.

Staff is not real friendly w/ exception to Honkey Dorey who will learn the name of everyone on the ship and remember you! The Yum Yum guy is also cool, but forget the rest.

Ship is set up odd, long hallways and not much open space, hated that.

Sewage issues are really bad

Entertainment was not good except the Rasario Stings which has been on RCI recently, they are good.

Ship goes to sleep pretty early, even my mom commented on this...

I had such issues with HAL customer service I will not set foot on another one of their ships. The Zuiderdam IMO is one of their goof ups...it just never has gotten a consistant set of good reviews....Now I had legit complaints, not just dumb things you can overlook....I imagine if any Hal posters are over here they will flame me, but they can look me up and remember my review, they realized after a while I was legit and had a legit complaint...

I say go with RCI, if it was another HAL ship I'd maybe reconsider.

I have yet to complete my frist RCI cruises but I have been on Celebrity and other lines and have sailed the Zuiderdam.

I agree the food on the Z was fab, probably best I have had a sea. Ports were excellent. Half Moon Cay is by far a superior private island.

Service could use a lot of improvement on Z. If you and mom want to be pampered and feel like royalty, HAL is not the line for you, at least not the Z.

Lay out of the ship. Pardon my french, but it sucks a lot. I always felt drunk in the main promenade for some reason! The disco is done in cow. I'm not kidding. The Queen's Lounge where they show movies and have other shows is so horrifcally uncomfortable with horrible sight lines you could not pay me to see something there.

I would definitely recommend another line of the Zuiderdam. If you are concerned about another line being too "young" or "wild" consider a longer cruise (10 days or more) or some more out of the way ports (Panama, Costa Rica, etc).

I have to disagree, respectfully, with the previous posters. Radiance class ships are the prettiest ships I've seen in 18 cruises. Zuiderdam while a really nice ship with a great crew, the lipstick red decor is a bit over done. A big bit over done. Radiance class has all those walls of glass giving you an ever-present touch with the sea. Granted, the food is better on the Z, except for the horrible meatloaf served with a red wine sauce. The worst I've ever seen or eaten and I still can't figure the reason for a red wine sauce. Labadee is the most gorgeous private cruiseline retreat I've seen. HMC is a flat island in the Bahamas with some palm trees and facilities. Nothing wrong with that but doesn't compare to Labadee with those mist shrowded mountains dropping down to gorgeous beaches. Several to choose from. The native crafts market can be fun if you enjoy haggling over prices. And you can get some fantastic values. BBQ lunches are equal. The float mats at HMC are not near as nice as Labadee, but Labadee doesn't have the clam shells and the condos to rent.

Although I haven't yet been on a Radiance class ship from RCCL, I did sail the Zuiderdam last May & have 5 other RCCL cruises to compare amenities/services. On HAL, we did enjoy the mixology classes & the drinks of the day - not typical tropical slushes. Also on HAL, it was wonderful to await disembarkation in your cabin. Not that it was a big deal to me, but Hunkey Dory never did remember my name even though he asked me every day. (He is supposed to be famous for remembering everyone's name. There actually was another guy, Burt Reynolds, who was just as efficient at the same task.) The buffet was very crowded & slower moving than any on RCCL & I didn't care for the arrangement. I was not impressed with Half Moon Cay in comparison to Cococay because it was very crowded on the beach & there was very little shade. Our Labadee stop was missed due to poor weather/tendering conditions, so I can't speak to it. Overall, we found service on RCCL to be better. Dining room food was comparable although I think RCCL's suited my taste a bit more. We did dine at Pinnacle Grill on Zuiderdam on the first night for half the usual $20 rate (a special not offered on RCCL), & while it was enjoyable, it was not something we'd repeat. We have not yet tried any of RCCL's upscale dining yet. The thing that bothered me most about Zuiderdam was cigarette smoke. There was no designated smoking area outside, or either people didn't adhere to it, & we found it difficult to find an uncontaminated area on deck. I did think the production shows on Zuiderdam were superior to RCCL's, but the other entertainment was comparable. The Zuiderdam's layout was a little peculiar, but not too difficult to get used to. In May, the ages were fairly mixed with the majority being 50 ish, but probably 25% older & 25% younger. Hope this is helpful in your decision process.

Awww Cococay Thats the name I could not remember today!! been bugging me a bit. I think I have had too many drinks of the day since then.

I am sorry Hunky Dorey didn't remember you name, he did many including mine but heck he was one of the "good guys" on the ship. We went in November, it felt like 85% were over 50, and a few kids, and I felt kinda young (I was 44 then)

I agree about the smoke, and there was more than just cig. smoke for me...my cabin caught fire. It is funny now but at the time it was scary. The AC unit in our ceiling caught fire. It was an interesting experience to see how they handle a fire onboard that is for sure! My smoke alarm kept beeping on the first day, they replaced the battery....next day the entire ship was put on alert, hallways and cabins were cleared, fire doors shutting and closing, firemen running to and fro...then I hear the cabin number come over the radio of the officer next to me and it is mine!!! I thought OH NO! I hope my elelctrical strip didn't catch fire (tip number 10, take a power strip to plug in extra cameras etc....) My cabin was full of electrical smoke as well as the 2 on either side. It reeked for the entire cruise, but alas I digress, I can't go there again, yup it must remain water under the bridge for me...or I will blow a gasket again.

We have traveled on both the Radiance and the Zuiderdam. For us, there is no comparison. We would choose the Radiance hands down. When we were on the Zuiderdam, they were working out a lot of bugs. Of 14 cruises, we had our worst dining experience aboard the Zuiderdam. The service was so inexperienced and no one smiled. The food was fine, but the service was sub par.

We are going to be aboard the Radiance again for two weeks starting on the 23rd of October and finally doing the Panama Canal. The Radiance is our favorite ship.

Hi there!

Have sailed HAL (but not the Vista ships...a la Z-dam, O-dam, etc.). I'm 31 and although the demographic was older on HAL, we were really pleased with all aspects of the trip. And they apparently now have beds that are oh-so-comfortable.

This being said, sailed on the Brilliance and thought it was the prettiest ship EVER. We're sailing on the Jewel next summer and just can't wait. I love the layout of the Windjammer and quite frankly...the fruit soups and the alternative restaurant on HAL are the only area I'd give them higher marks than on RCI. HAL food is much more bland (in our experience.)

As for private islands...HMC wins hands-down. Ever walk on pure powdered sugar???? That's what their beach is like.

Now if only I could get the radiance class ships over to HMC life would be perfect.

So, my opinion...take RCI. Overall a better experience in our books.

We have always been quite royal to the RCC cruise ships and are Diamond Plus members --- however unfortunately we have noticed a difference in the quality of cruising with RCI -it is my opinion that HAL is definitely a step up --- and it is what RCI was in the past --- the food - service - elegance - respectfull crew - on the HAL is what RCI used to be --- for sure we have not given up on RCI - and will be sailing on her once again in a few more weeks --- our extra perks make it rewarding to sail on her --- and although I do prefer HAL - I would not discount RCI - but wish that they would return to the good old days --- I guess there is a differnce to a 5 star cruise line -which HAL is and the other cruise lines --- it is merely a matter of choice but I do wish you happy sailing and whichever cruise line you decide to choose I am sure it will be enjoyable ---- there is no such thing as a bad cruise ---

We have always been quite royal to the RCC cruise ships and are Diamond Plus members --- however unfortunately we have noticed a difference in the quality of cruising with RCI -it is my opinion that HAL is definitely a step up --- and it is what RCI was in the past --- the food - service - elegance - respectfull crew - on the HAL is what RCI used to be --- for sure we have not given up on RCI - and will be sailing on her once again in a few more weeks --- our extra perks make it rewarding to sail on her --- and although I do prefer HAL - I would not discount RCI - but wish that they would return to the good old days --- I guess there is a differnce to a 5 star cruise line -which HAL is and the other cruise lines --- it is merely a matter of choice but I do wish you happy sailing and whichever cruise line you decide to choose I am sure it will be enjoyable ---- there is no such thing as a bad cruise ---

Cruishappy, could you give a timeframe that RCI has gone downhill? When were the "good old days?" You are a Diamond Plus member and I would think RCCL would treat you better than most. RCCL listen up to what this cruiser has to say!

Personally the thing I love about HAL are the prices that sometimes pop up for S suites. Those are excellent. The food is on par with RCCL's new food program, but I have found the service on HAL to sub par to RCCL. Our best experience with HAL was 8 years ago on the Veendam. Excellent! The the Ziederdam this past spring. The ship is VERY different and we felt the service was not as good as we remembered. We are trying the Westerdam in December and will let you know what we think.

Rick

No comparison Zuiderdam wins hands down, the service was extreme as was the cabin.

There Neptune lounge was far ahead of RCL Concierge lounge.

The food was excelent.

We spent our 40th aniversary on the ship & redid our vows, the captain did a great cerimony.

One of the best ships ever.

We are in our 50s and have been on both ships: the Radiance 3 years ago and the Zuiderdam last spring. Since we were on the Radiance's shake down cruise so it is not fair to compare it. However we were on the Serenade two years ago which is comparable the Radiance. Some thoughts:

- Service. We thought they were comparable. The Serenade had slightly better service in the diningroom, but the Zuiderdam's Lido deck staff were much quicker to offer help to my disabled hiusband.

- Staff. They were equally friendly. Our waiter and assistant waiter were

more personable on the Serenade, but that is probably just luck. Hunkey

Dorey on the Zuiderdam not only remembered our names, but went out of

his way to assist my disabled husband.

- Food. The Zuiderdam's food was generally better. In addition, they have

fresh orange juice in the Lido restaurant in the morning and offer full room

service breakfast which we enjoyed eating on our balcony.

- Fellow passengers. We did not see a lot of age difference. This might

have been due to the fact that our Serenade cruise was a 9 night

repositioning cruise in October.

- Private islands - we thought that Half Moon Cay IMO is much nicer than

Labadee. There was more to do and we especially liked the fact that no

one had their hands out for tips.

- Customer Service. again we found them comparable. The Pursers desk

on both ships could have been more helpful and friendly. And, perhaps it

is because I have additional questions/issues because of my husband's

diability, but I have found both HAL and RCCL's front offices to be difficult

to deal with and defensive to criticism. ironically, I have found Carnival's

customer service to be superior to both of them.

- Ship layout. We preferred the Radiance since it is more compact. But

there were issues with elevator overcrowding which we did not have on the

Zuiderdam.

- We had no sewage issues on the Zuiderdam.

Wow I have to disagree with some of the posts here on the Zuiderdam. I was there last year and loved every minute of it.

I am a person that has high expectations and since we had a Suite I expected even more. I can say (which is probably not the best thing to say) I always have to find something to complain about, because most of the time things do not meet my expectation. I am a seasoned traveller and have been on 2 cruises and 13 all inclusive 7 days type holidays. I can say that HAL and the "Z" had the best of everything. I did not complain once and couldn't even find someone to complain about even if I tried. My DH was even shocked that I was happy! Now thats saying a lot.

Since most people are saying RCCL is better then HAL this is going to be interesting....

I am glad for those of you that got lucky on the "Z" really wish my experience would have been different if only for my mom's sake. It was her first ever cruise and I found myself saying, "Mom it usually isn't like this, trust me" we went to the Queen's Lounge for 2 shows, a comedian and a magic show, we had to leave both times because the AC was so cold we could not sit for long. I was fine but my mom was freezing, then we had a hard time getting a good view. No big deal, happens on RCI too, but the kicker for me was the fact my room caught fire and they did NOTHING to accomodate me but offer 1 days worth of dry cleaning, after complaining about the fact I had a closet full of nice clothes, they sent a bottle of wine. Now this happened on day 2 of a 7 day cruise, and the suite people get complimentary dry cleaning anyhow, so what is the big deal to clean all our clothes? I don't drink wine but my mom does so she enjoyed it. Electrical smoke smells very bad, my husband's eyes were burning and itchy for 2 days after. (he was in the room when the fire broke out and the fire dept broke in, he was on the toilet and not in the main cabin area so he didn't realize it was our room on fire, we won't ever let him live that moment down!! LOL) Then the sewage backed up into our cabin on day 5 and FLOODED the bathroom and spilling into the cabin. It was a very rough sea day, so OK I figured maybe they could come clean it up and cap off the drain for the rest of the cruise. 14 hours later I still had sewage all over my floor. No one came to clean it after 2 calls and 2 trips to customer relations, they made the excuse that 50% of the crew were sea sick and they couldn't find anyone to clean. Like I said it was 17 hours of tropical depression winds and waves, very very rough seas, I however never did get queasy...there were vomit bags all over the place, full...So I found the cleaning supply closet on my floor and began to clean it up on my own. They must have closed circut cameras in the closet area b/c 2 stewards came running in. There were a few other things that were minor but after all that it felt like no one on the "Dam" ship really gave a "Dam" (if you've been on HAL you know the "Dam" saying)

At about that same time around my cruise there were many bad reviews on the "Z" and they did drydock it and said they handled the sewage problem. I just hated that my mom's first cruise was this, but we still had some fun and the food was good and the dessert/coffee bar every night was not to be missed! I liked their loungers better too, they were padded and wooden.

I just happen to know RCI will make it right for the most part and I think they are a better line. I have yet to move on up to Raddisson, Oceania, Seaborne etc., I am looking and dreaming about an Oceania cruise next year but with kid # 3 out of 5 heading to college and 2 still left at home I think I have to wait a while.

Archived