$1 deposits... brilliant or a mess waiting to happen?

Dreamer333

I have a question about this promo and the cancellation policy. Say you book with a $1 reduced deposit and pay in full at final payment (75 days). So far so good. Then you decide to cancel 74-57 days before departure. According to Princess's cancellation policy, you get everything back except for your deposit, and "For those passengers booking a reduced deposit promotion, the initial cancellation fee amount will not exceed the deposit required/paid."

So this promotion allows you cancel up until 57 days prior to cruising for a penalty of $1. Is that right? That seems like a pretty big shift in favor of the customer, and it will compound the problems alluded to in this thread concerning the greater likelihood of people cancelling under this promo.

well, I'm for one, am glad for the $1 deposit because I wouldn't have booked princess. nothing about the line itself, but I probably wouldn't have done it.. for princess, it works for them because they get a new customer. it works for me because I get to try something new yes, the price is the same, regardless of the bottom line, but I would be less likely look at princess as a NEW cruiser if the deposit is the same as a line I am familiar with

I have a question about this promo and the cancellation policy. Say you book with a $1 reduced deposit and pay in full at final payment (75 days). So far so good. Then you decide to cancel 74-57 days before departure. According to Princess's cancellation policy, you get everything back except for your deposit, and "For those passengers booking a reduced deposit promotion, the initial cancellation fee amount will not exceed the deposit required/paid."

So this promotion allows you cancel up until 57 days prior to cruising for a penalty of $1. Is that right? That seems like a pretty big shift in favor of the customer, and it will compound the problems alluded to in this thread concerning the greater likelihood of people cancelling under this promo.

Very interesting point, worth remembering. Essentially you have until 57 days before sailing to make up your mind. After final payment is when the prices tend to change and who cares about loosing a dollar deposit if you can rebook with a better deal or promo.

Hmm, the cancellation schedule on my deposit confirmation says that my initial cancellation penalty will be $100 per person after final payment, even though the deposit was only $1 per person. That's not what the Passenger Contract promises (the statement I quoted above), but I guess I can live with it.

I got a great deal. Same cruise I booked last night is now showing as $600 more per person AND no onboard credit is being offered by Princess either. I got $400 credit for this cruise, too, so hype or not, the $1 thing worked to my advantage

I got a great deal. Same cruise I booked last night is now showing as $600 more per person AND no onboard credit is being offered by Princess either. I got $400 credit for this cruise, too, so hype or not, the $1 thing worked to my advantage

Thats because the big sale ended last night.

Thats because the big sale ended last night.

Good thing I booked, as I had no idea Princess was even having a big sale. In the past they've had "sales" but usually there hasn't been a big enough price difference, at least for the specific cruises that I've booked. I am a happy camper today

Because it will free up cabins for others? Seems like a nice thing to do.

I think we all need to readjust our mindsets to the me world. Me don't care what happens to others. Me want to get the most for me. Me want to screw all companies, because I feel the BERN. Even thought that isn't working out.:D

Sometimes, we just have to be all about me. I hope you want to be all about me, because I don't give a... About you.

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

JC

I was pleasantly surprised but unlike the airlines, Princes allowed us to book three back to back cruises next January (2 Caribbean, 1 Mexico) all within the same time period January 21st- February 5th. For $12!!!

Over the next few weeks we can review each itinerary, research airfare, etc and determine what works best for us.

The plan is to pick a B2B and cancel the rest, freeing up the inventory for others.

We just purchased FCC's on our Royal cruise last month. But why use them when $4 will get the job done!

We just purchased FCC's on our Royal cruise last month. But why use them when $4 will get the job done!
For the OBC? You can have them applied later once you figure out which bookings you want to keep. (At least that's what I was told: anytime before final payment.)

I think we all need to readjust our mindsets to the me world. Me don't care what happens to others. Me want to get the most for me. Me want to screw all companies, because I feel the BERN. Even thought that isn't working out.:D

Sometimes, we just have to be all about me. I hope you want to be all about me, because I don't give a... About you.

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

JC

I don't get your point at all regarding the $1 promo. Princess made the promo so why is it all about me? They are encouraging people to book and book and book in hopes they make final payment. Playing by the rules is not about ME. FYI I did not book under this promo, I found it had no real value, the bottom line was still the same amount of money.

Just booked a 15 day Hawaii cruise for April 2017. Got the $1 deposit AND $720 OBC. This is to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Worked for me!

I booked cruises tonight because, quite frankly, we were going to do a land trip to Hawaii and prices are ridiculous. A cruise with lots of OBC (double what we would have otherwise gotten) is what really enticed us more than the $1 pp. We booked using an our FCC s on one cruise, so even more OBC. We are very happy, and we plan to transfer said bookings to our TA, who indicates she can probably give us a further discount or more OBC.

Now we're off to Mexico instead plus we won't have to fly, another added bonus [emoji3]

I also booked on Monday and while I'm delighted with the cabin selection and the 2x OBC, I found the prices to be high. I fully expect them to come down some before the sail date in October and will be watching closely. If we upgrade cabins or take a price reduction before final payment date, does anybody know what happens to our OBC?

I also booked on Monday and while I'm delighted with the cabin selection and the 2x OBC, I found the prices to be high. I fully expect them to come down some before the sail date in October and will be watching closely. If we upgrade cabins or take a price reduction before final payment date, does anybody know what happens to our OBC?

4cats reported (perhaps on another thread I can't recall) that her cruise actually rose in price the day after the promo and since the sale was over the 2X OBC was gone too....prices may fall if certain sailings don't fill but as we all know it depends on the # of bookings....and if you upgrade or change the booking you will lose your OBC I'm pretty sure

4cats reported (perhaps on another thread I can't recall) that her cruise actually rose in price the day after the promo and sincerest the sale was over the 2X OBC was gone too....prices may fall if certain sailings don't fill but as we all know it depends on the # of bookings....and if you upgrade or change the booking you will lose your OBC I'm pretty sure

Not necessarily... if the fare drops, I'm relatively certain you can get it without affecting your promotion. However, if someone chooses to upgrade or downgrade, that promotion will more than likely be gone.

I just booked another cruise for my bday next year - I haven't found any 1 dollar offers for deposit though and I checked quite a few :( Maybe it's special?
It was a one-day promotion, only available last Monday (for leap day, February 29).

I just booked another cruise for my bday next year - I haven't found any 1 dollar offers for deposit though and I checked quite a few :( Maybe it's special?

That promo was available one day only....February 29th! Doubt if you'll see it again this year.

Hi,

Actually, the cruise I booked on leap day went up from $1,250 pp to $1,699 pp the day after and remains at that price as of today [emoji79] so we got an exceptional deal, especially for a 10-day cruise in a balcony that we got to pick ourself as opposed to a balcony guarantee, along with a total of $500 OBC [emoji259]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is anyone other than myself concerned about the idea of "possible cruises" and the cost of travel insurance?

Perhaps because of our ages (65 & 74) we always get travel insurance and be sure it includes "pre-existing conditions" which is important to us. Generally you have to purchase this insurance within a range of 10-25 days after initial cruise deposit to cover these conditions. Ironically we've only used insurance twice in over 15 cruises and neither one was for pre-existing conditions- however we still feel it's important that be included.

From what I've experienced, if you purchase the insurance and then cancel the cruise because you've decided on another cruise or cancel the cruise completely the insurance is usually not transferable- certain time frames apply, etc. I'd rather pay a larger deposit and not forfeit the insurance dollars- but perhaps I am missing something?

The $1 deposit special enticed a friend of mine to book his first cruise, for himself, his SO, and his son. Plus, we will both get the refer a friend credit after he completes his cruise. He would not have done this otherwise.

The sale only lasted for one day, and not everyone who booked that day is going to end up cancelling. A lot of them will, but spread out over all ships and all sailings from now until the end of 2017, I don't know if the effect will be so massive that they won't be able to rely on their existing strategies for last-minute sales.

When I saw that promotion I thought out loud "Nice move Princess". Then, as I have read here, opportunity to book many and then cancel will be happening. Hmmm..I hope they (Princess executives) realize that probably 30 - 40 % that was "reserved" will be cancelled. As a shareholder, I hope that the purpose of this was to raise the amount of patronage and bring new customers in the fold. $$$ :D

Unfortunately I could not take them up on it because what we are looking for is in Oct. 2017. Not available yet. We will wait.

I have no doubt that when it gets near the end of this year that I will see some good deals from Princess. Fingers crossed!! :)