Should Gratuity be based on total cost?

aprilshowers2016

Total cruise booking is only $300 per person, Princess charges $12.95 pp, then the total tips will be $91 p, about 33%, sounds pretty high.

Do people normally reduce it? Or is the $12.95 pp required minimum?

Thanks

Gratuities should be based on the value and quality of the services rendered.

The person who brings you your food is not doing any less work than the person who brings the same food to someone paying $5,000 for the week.

I would consider myself lucky to get such a great deal on my cruise and leave the gratuity in place for the hard-working crew who are supporting families back home.

Alternately, you could just lump that $91 in with the $300 and think "I just paid less than $56 pp per day for a wonderful vacation that includes all my meals and entertainment in addition to my accommodation - fantastic!"

Either way I look at it, it's a hell of a lot better deal than anything I can score here in downtown Vancouver.

We do the same thing tip wise, and it's a great value for the money.

Gratuities should be based on the value and quality of the services rendered.

The person who brings you your food is not doing any less work than the person who brings the same food to someone paying $5,000 for the week.

I will ask you what I asked earlier, what hen is it % based on land where the same reasoning applies.

The person who brings me the $5 burger does the same work as the one who brings me a $50 lobster, why are he tips different.

IMHO, the OP has tried to link two unrelated items.. The fact that they got a great deal on a cruise is completely separate from any additional onboard costs whether it be the price of drinks or the expected level of tips.

I have the original post in the same bracket as someone renting a Lincoln Town Car for the cost of a Compact and then complaining about the cost of fuel.

The gratuities are used to pay for those who clean your room, serve your meals and perform other services. You're focusing on the percentage rather than the absolute value of the services performed. Your room will take as long to clean as any other. Your meals will require the same effort as others. The people serving you will work just as hard and long as they will for rooms costing much more than yours. BTW, suites do pay a higher rate.

Perfect...well said! They deserve every bit of it.

I have not been on the boards for 2 1/2 years due to No Cruise Scheduled Syndrome (NCSS) <-----terrible disease indeed!!!!! and I am quite amused that the tipping threads continue unabated. Some things never ever change!:eek:

Pay the charge, those hard working folks deserve it!

Hi All

Been a fair bit of chat this side of the pond about low entry pricing then adding a daily hotel charge, not found any media coverage that thought it was a good idea, most told cruisers to remove the charge.

The main issue being low prices are attracting lots of new cruisers on tight budgets, who can not afford ships excursions, or private ones for that matter, daily hotel charge or fancy dining or any extra costs. These first time cruisers are often looking at a 14 day all inclusive beach holiday compared to a cruise.

yours Shogun[/quote

You mean your media is actually telling people to remove the charge? I find it very ironic that when many from across the pond travel over on this side of the pond they remove gratuities and don't tip in a restaurant or for any services on land because their comment is that it is not their culture to do so. However, when I as an American travel to your countries the hand is always out. While your citizens don't want to give they are happy to take and EXPECT to be tipped from Americans. If you don't want to follow the customs of a country, don't travel there or use their services.

I really am sick and tired of reading about how your country doesn't tip, removes tips, doesn't expect to be tipped. I'm going to store that information and when I travel abroad again in a couple months...we won't leave a tip since it is not done in your culture and is offensive. After all I want to fit in with the culture I am visiting. :p

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

Hi All

Been a fair bit of chat this side of the pond about low entry pricing then adding a daily hotel charge, not found any media coverage that thought it was a good idea, most told cruisers to remove the charge.

The main issue being low prices are attracting lots of new cruisers on tight budgets, who can not afford ships excursions, or private ones for that matter, daily hotel charge or fancy dining or any extra costs. These first time cruisers are often looking at a 14 day all inclusive beach holiday compared to a cruise.

yours Shogun[/quote

You mean your media is actually telling people to remove the charge? I find it very ironic that when many from across the pond travel over on this side of the pond they remove gratuities and don't tip in a restaurant or for any services on land because their comment is that it is not their culture to do so. However, when I as an American travel to your countries the hand is always out. While your citizens don't want to give they are happy to take and expect to be ripped from Americans. If you don't want to follow the customs of a country, don't travel there or use their services.

I really am sick and tired of reading about how your country doesn't tip, removes tips, doesn't expect to be tipped. I'm going to store that information and when I travel abroad again in a couple months...we won't leave a tip since it is not done on your culture and is offensive. After all I want to fit in with the culture I am visiting. :p

Do not blame you but you will end up paying VAT unless you claim it back through your business and you will find things a bit expensive particularly car hire and petrol. That's pretty expensive about £1.00 a litre.

Regards John

Do not blame you but you will end up paying VAT unless you claim it back through your business and you will find things a bit expensive particularly car hire and petrol. That's pretty expensive about £1.00 a litre.

Regards John

That was intended sarcasm in my previous post. We've been to Europe many, many times and have paid the VAT each and every time. We tip for good service anywhere in the world.

Total cruise booking is only $300 per person, Princess charges $12.95 pp, then the total tips will be $91 p, about 33%, sounds pretty high.

Thanks

It is somewhat based on the cost of your cruise. A longer cruise is more expensive so it will have a bigger gratuity charge overall because you're on board longer.

As others have noted the staff works very hard on every single cruise no matter how long it is, and the gratuity charge shouldn't be cut or reduced in any way.

Hi whatcruiseisnext,

I posted the details of one newspaper the other week, it had top money saving tips for cruising, think paper was mail on line

number one tip was to remove tips as soon as you board calling them a scam,

not to buy ships photos,

not to eat in fancy restaurants onboard

do not take ships tours etc

my own few is that tipping is just wrong, has nothing to do with service and is about companies avoiding the tax man, charge the correct amount for the service, have proper employment terms with a good level of minimum wage,

and rather than have an employee giving poor service and no tips, get an employee that will give good service.

I have no issue with Princess removing auto tip from Europe sailings and increasing fares to ensure crew does not lose out.

yours Shogun

Hi whatcruiseisnext,

I posted the details of one newspaper the other week, it had top money saving tips for cruising, think paper was mail on line

number one tip was to remove tips as soon as you board calling them a scam,

not to buy ships photos,

not to eat in fancy restaurants onboard

do not take ships tours etc

my own few is that tipping is just wrong, has nothing to do with service and is about companies avoiding the tax man, charge the correct amount for the service, have proper employment terms with a good level of minimum wage,

and rather than have an employee giving poor service and no tips, get an employee that will give good service.

I have no issue with Princess removing auto tip from Europe sailings and increasing fares to ensure crew does not lose out.

yours Shogun

Do you really believe that "tipping...has nothing to do with service"? Do you really think that employees would provide better service working for a wage than working for tips?

Love the analogy! You're right, they are trying to like two essentially unrelated items.

I don't know if they like the two unrelated items, but they might be trying to link the two unrelated items. :)

Do you really believe that "tipping...has nothing to do with service"? Do you really think that employees would provide better service working for a wage than working for tips?

Most professionals do work for a wage and not for a tip. You will find that the level of service on the luxury lines, where the service staff is paid a good wage and tipping is not necessary, matches or exceeds the level of service found on the mass market lines where tipping is almost mandatory.

Edited by Cuizer2

Thanks

Great question! I have to agree that transition from tipping by envelope (cash) toward electronic (credit card) has created some feeling of unfairness by first-time cruisers. There was a time in the not-to-distant past, when envelopes were delivered to your cabin the evening prior to debarkation. These were broken down by category; cabin steward, dining room manager, dining room server, dining room assistant server (yes there used to be Two people serving you during your meal). Although there were suggestions presented as to what percentage to tip each, this did leave you an "option" as to who you would (or would not tip). Now that a no-cash policy has been implemented on most cruise lines, it is now far more difficult to refuse tipping.

I have heard of some people who have taken their bill to the Customer Service desk and have tips lessened or removed... Personally, I see this as part of the cost of cruising.

You will find that the level of service on the luxury lines, where the service staff is paid a good wage and tipping is not necessary, matches or exceeds the level of service found on the mass market lines where tipping is almost mandatory.

As do the prices!

I can imagine the outrage on this site if Princess announced tomorrow that gratuities would be included in all cruise fares and the fares increased correspondingly to handle the increase in salaries and the corresponding tax impacts. I, for one, would applaud it but there are many who would be outraged and probably take their business elsewhere. As a mainstream line (not luxury) the initial impact of that passenger lose on the bottom line could be substantial.

I don't care what the cruisers local "Custom" or "Culture" is around TIPPING

When people go on a cruise they are no longer experiencing their local culture but instead that of a cruise ship culture. Gratuities, TIPS, HSC, whatever it's called is how the service people are compensated. If people don't want to experience a different culture than they have at home, then they would be best to stay at home.

The cruise lines all state clearly what the expected compensation is for service, not paying the minimum is cheating the service providers of their compensation.

Pay the minimum suggested (unless of course there is a service issue) or stay home.

The other option I'd love to see is the requirement people can only opt out of the Service Charge at check in. Those that opt out make their own beds, clean their own bathrooms, line up in the kitchen to fetch their own meals, do their own dishes, and before leaving get to clean their stateroom to the standard of the cruise line. Then I suspect these folks would appreciate the bargain the daily service charge really is.

Yes!

I just have to make a comment and put this entire thread in perspective for

myself and my husband.

Believe me, we hope we have the opportunity to cruise again and pay gratuities and extra tips to our steward, rather than sitting in a chemotherapy room twice a week hoping for the best.

Pam and Ken

I just have to make a comment and put this entire thread in perspective for

myself and my husband.

Believe me, we hope we have the opportunity to cruise again and pay gratuities and extra tips to our steward, rather than sitting in a chemotherapy room twice a week hoping for the best.

Pam and Ken

I am so sorry to hear about this. Add me to the list of people hoping for the best for you both. You are in my thoughts.

Thanks

Would you be willing to receive less for your $300 than the person paying $600 in the same category? Are you willing to receive fewer options for entertainment, food, activities, etc.?

I can see it now....."What would you like Mr. $300 guy, one piece of chicken or fish? And how about you, Mr. $600 guy, will it be the chicken, fish, steak, pasta, soup, salad, or all of the above? And how many?"

If you want to give the staff less because you're paying less, then you should receive less than those who paid more for the same category. But you don't, and neither should the staff.

Just sayin'.