Man overboard on Navigator

Thank you for the article. Maybe it's just me...but I really don't think it was any of our business that he had a DUI and DWI. That had nothing to do with this incident....my heart is broken for his mom. I can't even imagine what she is going through.

Directly...of course not. That said, it was likely mentioned in the article as alcohol may have played a role in this unfortunate and sad event.

Bad publicity for sure. Good for the snake cruise lawyer- absolutely.

Were any of these incidents preventable for RCI- unlikely.

Oh I certainly agree with you as well. Unfortunately whenever someone goes to book their first cruise they may have a little superstition in them, or they may just remember hearing about RCI in the news and not remember the specifics.

Agree that the media has a responsibility for reporting things more accurately.

In this case why? Would it make you feel better about the image of the industry if some news reader said "There are reports of a persons falling overboard while on Navigator of the Seas. If anyone knows anything about modern cruise ships, simply falling overboard is not possible. The person either had a personal issue for which they felt the only solution was taking a header off deck 10, did something to make someone else angry enough to cause them to throw the jerk over the railing or was so stinking drunk they were doing something really stupid and ended up in the water."

That would probably be more accurate, but is it necessary? Since the residence of every person on the planet that may have cared for the person (even a little) is not know why risk being a heartless arse on the air?

In this case why? Would it make you feel better about the image of the industry if some news reader said "There are reports of a persons falling overboard while on Navigator of the Seas. If anyone knows anything about modern cruise ships, simply falling overboard is not possible. The person either had a personal issue for which they felt the only solution was taking a header off deck 10, did something to make someone else angry enough to cause them to throw the jerk over the railing or was so stinking drunk they were doing something really stupid and ended up in the water."

That would probably be more accurate, but is it necessary? Since the residence of every person on the planet that may have cared for the person (even a little) is not know why risk being a heartless arse on the air?

You've missed the point.

The issue is simply reporting on what is known...which isn't even if this passenger fell, jumped, or foul play. He was overboard for some unknown reason, and reporting it as unknown is far more responsible journalism (a field of expertise here).

It has nothing to do with "image" of the industry, rather, accuracy in reporting.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

That would probably be more accurate, but is it necessary?

I agree with you. To say he jumped can only mean one thing. To say he fell can mean anything. Regardless of the cause, it's still a 10 story fall. Without all the facts, there's nothing wrong with the media saying he fell overboard. It's a generic term.

I agree with you. To say he jumped can only mean one thing. To say he fell can mean anything. Regardless of the cause, it's still a 10 story fall. Without all the facts, there's nothing wrong with the media saying he fell overboard. It's a generic term.

100 percent agree with you...BUT....think of this scenario. When I saw the news this morning....(already knowing about it, this weekend).....the newswoman said "fell from the ship".

Ok...think about it for one second. If you have NEVER cruised before and about to.......OR....if you have a child about to go on their first cruise.....would you not (somewhat) panic????

OMG....is it that easy to fall off a ship? New or Non cruisers have no idea that it is impossible to fall off a ship....and everything is fenced in. They don't understand that. So to hear a newscaster say over and over again "fell" off the ship, is somewhat disconcerting.

.if you have a child about to go on their first cruise.....would you not (somewhat) panic????

Thank you :) As I pointed out on another thread, I am about take my 5 year old nephew on his first cruise (Lord help me ;)) His mother and dad (my brother) are not going. Neither of them have ever been on a cruise. His mother is somewhat panicked over all the negative press lately concerning storms, sickness and now this. She really has no idea that its impossible to fall off of a cruise ship.

Reading the comments on these articles makes you really realize how clueless non cruising people really are. They think that cruise ships are "floating petri dishes" where everyone stays drunk and people "fall overboard" all the time.

Edited by ryano

ryano, knowing the possibility of how people can go overboard, I do have a concern regarding our great grandson and his taking his first cruise with the family next year. His mother needs to be responsible and we all who are with him, need to be aware to inform him he doesn't get up on the railings. I feel it is best in regards to their cabin assignment, that they go with an OV cabin vs a balcony. He will be 12 by the time we cruise, so not a little child say 8 or younger.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

100 percent agree with you...BUT....think of this scenario. When I saw the news this morning....(already knowing about it, this weekend).....the newswoman said "fell from the ship".

Ok...think about it for one second. If you have NEVER cruised before and about to.......OR....if you have a child about to go on their first cruise.....would you not (somewhat) panic????

OMG....is it that easy to fall off a ship? New or Non cruisers have no idea that it is impossible to fall off a ship....and everything is fenced in. They don't understand that. So to hear a newscaster say over and over again "fell" off the ship, is somewhat disconcerting.

I guess for me, this is just a matter of....I don't care. I know some people can panic and they lack the ability to look at facts and find reason. Those are the people I refer to as the "1 in 4" (some will know what that means). In my experience, those people will panic no matter what. If the report is "fall," they'll panic over the possibility of falling. If the report is "jump," they'll panic over the ease of jumping. Either way, with all the info accessible these days, if a person chooses to panic instead of doing a couple Google searches for facts, I choose to not concern myself with their feelings.

Edited by Aquahound

If a person wants to jump off a ship he will do so and, short of physically restraining him, there's nothing the ship's staff can do about it.

But I wonder if he'd have jumped if he'd been able to talk to a counselor beforehand. Perhaps the cruiselines should have a trained counselor on board to deal with passengers' emotional problems.

Do we really want a "Nanny" Cruise Line or do we want to have FUN? Like on the "FUN SHIPS"! No, No Nanny Cruise Line!

ryano, knowing the possibility of how people can go overboard, I do have a concern regarding our great grandson and his taking his first cruise with the family next year. His mother needs to be responsible and we all who are with him, need to be aware to inform him he doesn't get up on the railings. I feel it is best in regards to their cabin assignment, that they go with an OV cabin vs a balcony. He will be 12 by the time we cruise, so not a little child say 8 or younger.

If he's 12yo and he's not responsible enough to not climb up on railings yet, I hope you're going to bring along a full-time babysitter to be keeping him in line.

He shouldn't be allowed out of anyone's sight for a single moment, and you shouldn't put him in the teen program, as they don't provide the strict supervision that a special needs child of this age would need. (Younger kids are kept under closer supervision and have a smaller child-to-adult ratio, but older kids are given considerably more independence.)

Don't let him leave your sight for a moment, not to go to the restroom or to go get a drink or fill his plate at the buffet. Even with an OV room, there are open decks all around the ship where he could climb on top of a railing.

Or, if your grandson isn't special needs at all.... are you serious about only an OV room? Really? He's twelve years old, for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

Well said..and totally agree.

What else would the mayor of NYC really have to concern himself with?

........God forbid he takes some interest in all the propaganda his company spews out every day................now we should all pull for Bernie Sanders so all future cruises will be FREE and the end to any status class........and all the ships painted red......:eek:

I had a conversation about this with a coworker just a month ago. They like to frequent some of the Mexican resorts. She said they'd considered trying a cruise but was concerned about having a too many drinks by the pool and falling off the ship. She was dead serious, and from news reports thought it was possible to just stumble off the side of a cruise ship.

Until facts are known I'd prefer news stories just report a person has "gone overboard."