Walk from Hertz downtown to JW Marriott?

smg873

We are flying into FLL the day before our cruise out of Miami, and plan to rent a car for the drive. We have a reservation that night at the JW Marriott Downtown, on Brickell. Hertz has a downtown location that, according to mapquest, is .7 miles from the hotel. If we return the car that evening, I can avoid paying $40 to park it at the hotel, and we can just take a cab to the port in the morning. My question is, if we drop our luggage at the hotel and then return the car, is it a safe area to just walk back to the hotel? It will be me (mom), and 2 DDs, ages 11 and 13.

We are flying into FLL the day before our cruise out of Miami, and plan to rent a car for the drive. We have a reservation that night at the JW Marriott Downtown, on Brickell. Hertz has a downtown location that, according to mapquest, is .7 miles from the hotel. If we return the car that evening, I can avoid paying $40 to park it at the hotel, and we can just take a cab to the port in the morning. My question is, if we drop our luggage at the hotel and then return the car, is it a safe area to just walk back to the hotel? It will be me (mom), and 2 DDs, ages 11 and 13.

A couple of comments, as I've stayed at the JW Marriott on Brickell before:

First and most important, check the hours of the Hertz office. Many of the off-airport locations are not open late.

Second, if you're talking about the Hertz location in downtown Miami (SE 2nd St.), that's definitely walk-able, and the Brickell avenue area is fine. The only other Hertz location Google maps shows me is on Bayshore drive, quite a ways from the JW Marriott.

Finally, a suggestion: Why not drop your family and luggage off at the hotel first, then return the car. That way only you have to make the walk.

Alternatively, you could just return the car to the airport rental location, and catch a cab back to the hotel. Still less cost than parking at the Hotel.

Thanks for the input. That location does close at 4:00, but we're okay with that - the kids just want to hang by the hotel pool & then we'll probably check out the shops & restaurants at Brickell Village. As for dropping the family & luggage and walking back myself, we will drop the luggage off first, but I'm not so sure about the thought of leaving my 11 and 13 year olds alone at the hotel while I return the car. Besides, it'll be good for them to take a walk with Mom! Lol.