Our stateroom was dirty

Unfortunately this is what happens when staff is cut and they are given more to do. Many guests complaining about not seeing their room stewards all week, they are too busy working and have no time for pleasantries anymore. Increase in work means they have to take shortcuts that they had time to do thoroughly before.

Well we were on The Dream in Jan for 10 day Journey cruise and "tested" the only one cabin clean in a day and guess what, our cabin was SPOTLESS!

Why do people want their room cleaned so many times during the day, are some that dirty? Do you clean your bedroom at home 2, 3 times a day, NO....While walking to our cabin and looking in the rooms, I am amazed at the disgusting way some keep their cabins, trash, clothes tossed everywhere, do they do this at home, I hope not............

OP I hope you did call and get things cleaned up, sorry to hear this kind of stuff

Not at all sure why you quoted me? If you read my entire post, I'm pretty sure we agree! :confused:

We'd be fine with once a day, I guess, but would still want ice am & pm.

My point is that it's still another "lessening" of the cruise experience that made it so popular to begin with.

Cutback #153648....JK, but seriously, I am bummed about the changes made in only 5 years time.

Edited by silvercrikhix

I forgot to mention that the room was hardly cleaned during our cruise. For instance, , the sand the sand that came out of our bathing suit when changing clothes stayed on the bathroom floor for the whole cruise. The trash was not emptied either. We ended up cleaning the bathroom ourselves, and I did not contact anyone.

We have to be our own advocates. No one is going to "notice" and take care of it for us. IMO, not saying anything means that you cannot then complain about it.

Maybe my wife and I are odd, but we try to clean up after ourselves. We'll wipe down the mirrors, sink, dressers, etc. Sheets, another story. If I see dirt in a vent, I'll clean it. Only takes a couple of minutes. Sure, it may be someone else's job, but we have no issue taking care of what, to us, are little things that we do in our home as well.

Could be you had a bad steward. I suppose there's always a few bad apples in the barrel. I'm the furthest thing from a cheerleader, I just call things like I see them. I have to say out of all my cruises the room for the most part was pretty clean, except for normal wear and tear.

We have to be our own advocates. No one is going to "notice" and take care of it for us. IMO, not saying anything means that you cannot then complain about it.

Exactly! I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it. It's like elections - if you don't vote, don't come back to me and complain later on! If you don't let anyone know that something was wrong, then you cannot complain that it wasn't done here on CC.

Maybe my wife and I are odd, but we try to clean up after ourselves. We'll wipe down the mirrors, sink, dressers, etc. Sheets, another story. If I see dirt in a vent, I'll clean it. Only takes a couple of minutes. Sure, it may be someone else's job, but we have no issue taking care of what, to us, are little things that we do in our home as well.

While I understand that those are little things, I don't go on vacation and pay tips to someone for me to do their job. When I am on vacation, unless I plan to go somewhere that I am the one cleaning, then I sure as heck am not going to clean and dust the room for the person getting paid and tipped for it.

The ship's age would not justify a lack of cleanliness. We sailed on Fantasy about a year and a half ago and had no issues related to our room or the public spaces being clean.

While I have no reason to doubt that the OP's room was as described, to not speak up at the time but then want to complain about it later is crazy, Give them a chance to make it right!

For many the purpose of a vacation is to escape from household chores and relax. Perhaps you are retired and don't mind a working vacation but people with careers and who raise families may not want to dust and scrub and pay Carnival for the privilege.

While I understand that those are little things, I don't go on vacation and pay tips to someone for me to do their job. When I am on vacation, unless I plan to go somewhere that I am the one cleaning, then I sure as heck am not going to clean and dust the room for the person getting paid and tipped for it.

While I understand this, we always strive to leave an extra tip for our cabin steward. If we had horrible room service or a room that remained uncleaned (which we've never had), then we would reserve their tip.

Guess being in the military has stuck with me all of these years. Just used to wiping down glass and brass, no matter where I am. :)

I forgot to mention that the room was hardly cleaned during our cruise. For instance, , the sand the sand that came out of our bathing suit when changing clothes stayed on the bathroom floor for the whole cruise. The trash was not emptied either. We ended up cleaning the bathroom ourselves, and I did not contact anyone.

I think this is part of the problem.

I wonder if you tipped him extra.

They get away with it and it soon becomes the normal.

Probably just taking a leaf out of how carnival doors things.

People accept it do it just keeps sliding backwards.

After all, a new cruiser probably will think nothing of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

First off, sorry you were not pleased with the condition of your room. That being said, anytime we've had any issue onboard, it's been rectified almost immediately once we've reported it. Sorry, but since you chose not to report anything wrong and give them even a chance of making it right, you will get absolutely no sympathy from me.

I think this is part of the problem.

I wonder if you tipped him extra.

They get away with it and it soon becomes the normal.

Probably just taking a leaf out of how carnival doors things.

People accept it do it just keeps sliding backwards.

After all, a new cruiser probably will think nothing of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Or maybe they got inundated with people who demand twice a day when being told its only once so people like this got NO service because the room steward couldnt finish. :rolleyes:

We are going on the Carnival Pride again after sailing with NCL for our last couple cruises. We have purchased our favorite aft suite. God forbid I walk into a dirty cabin. I don't care one little bit about cutbacks (DIRT) is not acceptable anywhere. Watch Carnival's idea of only cleaning rooms once a day is going to bite then in the a--. I guarantee in no time they will have a Noro Outbreak. You cannot cram 3,000 people on an enclosed vessel and not keep up on the cleaning.

Why did you not take the time to contact someone to have the problem fixed as it was happening but now take the time to complain to people who can't do anything about it when it is done:confused: While they should have done it right the first time, you made the problem worse by not reporting it so CARNIVAL would have a chance to make sure the problem was fixed....and you only have yourself to blame for that.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Our very first cruise we never saw our cabin steward once. I still don't know if it was male or female.

Next two cruises, saw them all the time, had friendly chats in the hall.

Some "dirt" I can live with, other "dirt" I would have to call for service for sure.

Rest assured, no "dirt" will ever ruin my cruise however ! :D

In all of our 16 cruises on Carnival, we have never had a bad cabin stewards. All of our cabins have been interiors on Riviera.

If they don't come to introduce themselves when we board, they do stop by at some point during the first day.

We keep our cabin very neat and will continue to ask for service twice a day. We only request ice once a day in the AM.

Edited by Sparky2

I was travelling with others, and I did not want to make a big deal about it in front of them. Considering the condition of their home, I doubt that they even noticed the filth. I just dealt with it for 4 nights.

Then shame on you for coming on the boards and complaining. You did not give Carnival a chance to fix the situation and that is on you and you alone.

I was travelling with others, and I did not want to make a big deal about it in front of them. Considering the condition of their home, I doubt that they even noticed the filth. I just dealt with it for 4 nights.

You have a right to a clean room, no matter who you travel with. You are just as important as the other room occupants. There is usually a link to your room steward on the phone in your stateroom, and if you cant reach him/her, then there is definitely a link to housekeeping. If you should find yourself on another Carnival cruise in the future, keep this in mind, and don't short change yourself by accepting sub par service, just because your travel mates are ok with dirt. Hope this does not put you off cruising, can happen at a resort too if you have a bad room attendant. Better luck next time.

Sometime you get an inept steward, but the ship is 26 years old.

Old is not the same as dirty.

I sell antiques.

old=good

dirty=bad

My house is older than 26.

It is not dirty.

Edited by mzloolue

I am confused. If you folks checked into a filthy hotel room you are saying you would not be put off? You would not want to change to a clean room? What a bunch of crud- seriously you check into a "Whatever Inn" and the room is filthy. So you approach a housekeeping professional and kindly ask him or her to straighten up and clean up several months worth of crud- and they happily do it.

Sorry- not going to happen. If you all had seen the dirt and dust and cobwebs in our cabin maybe you would have more empathy for OP. I cleaned our suite myself- because I did not want to welcome in the filthy toilette rag from the last cabin to clean our countertops. We did have to be "high maintenance" and request new sheets- which my husband and I changef ourselves- because there were stains and sand in the bed.

Didn't want to have to share all that because I do love Carnival. But cut the OP some slack because filthy cabins do happen.

We sailed on the Fantasy on February 29th, and we were very disappointed with the cleanliness of the stateroom. The closets were were dusty, scratched all over the place, and very worn. The so called "air conditioning" on the ceiling was very dirty on the inside (dust and debris). The carpet had visible stains and the electricity sockets and little cracks in the walls had big dust balls inside of them. The faucet in the bathroom was foggy, so it had not been wiped since the previous guests. I am guessing it is spit from the other guests brushing their teeth. The toilet also had a hair on the seat. The worst was the shower. The handle bars to change the temperature were also foggy, the soap dispensers were less than half empty, and there was black fuss on each corner of the shower (I'm guessing it is mold). Has anyone ever experienced this. We know not to expect a 5 star experienced when sailing wth carnival, but we at least expect our room to be clean.

We also only saw the cabin stewart on the first day, and never saw him again.

Did you reduce the tips? I would have, no work no pay. Pretty simple math.