Nice to Monaco

Beachlady53

Will arrive in Villefranche at the end of May on the Equinox from 7-5.

I would like to see Nice and travel over to Monaco and back to ship. Will there be enough time and if so, what is the best way to do this? I appreciate your suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see Nice and travel over to Monaco and back to ship. Will there be enough time and if so, what is the best way to do this? I appreciate your suggestions.

I think you have plenty of time. I have taken both the bus and the train between Nice and Monaco. Both options are very inexpensive and run frequently. The train takes approximately 15 minutes. We had plenty of time to walk around Monaco/Monte Carlo, and visit Eze as well.

Yes, it is possible, but not recommended for 1st timer. If you had someone who is familiar with the area, this is possible, but there is too much to see for those limited hours. Best to chose one or the other, then throw in something that is in between your final destination and the ship. Just remember, Monte Carlo is built on hills, so on the map it doesn't seem very far to walk, but when you are there, walking from one point to another seems to take longer. Oh yes, take the train instead of the bus if going to Nice or Monte Carlo at sea level, but, highly recommend is the bus going from Nice to Monte Carlo through the Moyenne Cornice (visiting Eze). Use Google Maps.

I think as a first timer you are pushing your luck and rather then run around and not see all there is to see I would pick one place and focus on that.

Keith

+1

7-5 is not enough time unless everything scheduled falls into place. You must factor in tender time, transportation schedules and crowds. I would want to try to get back to Villefranche shortly after 4pm to allow for delays, getting lost, etc.

I did Monte Carlo in 2008 and just spent 6 days in Nice. I would choose 1 and experience what it has to offer. I enjoyed both equally but I think DW would favour Nice.

Here's a link to my suggested walking tour in Nice:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49572555&postcount=5

Edited by lamchops