London car service

Hi!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a car service in London that will pick us up at Heathrow and take us to our centrally located London hotel? Two days later, we will need this service to take us to Southampton.

Thanks.

Rhea

We've happily used Smith's (in Portsmouth) for Southampton-London and the reverse...excellent service and SUV's/vans. They're well-recommended on the Cunard Message Boards, which is where we got the name. I believe it was about $250 each way last trip (much lower than any other quotes) but the dollar is stronger against the pound now. Don't know if they would do a Heathrow-London pick-up, but that's an easier transfer to arrange than a reasonable rate down to Southampton.

We've happily used Smith's (in Portsmouth) for Southampton-London and the reverse...excellent service and SUV's/vans. They're well-recommended on the Cunard Message Boards, which is where we got the name. I believe it was about $250 each way last trip (much lower than any other quotes) but the dollar is stronger against the pound now. Don't know if they would do a Heathrow-London pick-up, but that's an easier transfer to arrange than a reasonable rate down to Southampton.

Thank you for that info. I have been looking for a car service for a transfer from our hotel in London to Dover. I will check them out.

Terri

Hi!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a car service in London that will pick us up at Heathrow and take us to our centrally located London hotel? Two days later, we will need this service to take us to Southampton.

Thanks.

Rhea

Hello. I have lived many years in London and really do not recommend taking a taxi from the airport. You may be stuck in traffic for hours if you are unlucky and anyway it just takes far too long.

By far the best way to travel into town is to take the Heathrow Express train. The tickets are sold just as you exit the baggage claim and if you miss that then there are both ticket machines as well as a counter at the dedicated station.

You can put your luggage on a wheelie baggage cart and take it down the lifts and up to the entrance of the platform. There are two platforms so just check on the overhead signs which side goes first into town. The journey takes only 15 minutes and it is a dedicated train with no stops.

Once you get to Paddington you can get a taxi from the huge taxi rank adjacent to the exit directly to your hotel.

Hope this helps.

Hi!

Thanks.

Rhea

I lived in London for nine years...talk to you about options next week, best ones already offered here.

John

Smiths are based on the south coast, so I very much doubt they would do airport into London.

Check out Addison Lee for your airport transfer (they also do longer distance)....They have over 4000 vehicles in London, mostly 7 seat Ford Galaxy models, with some Prius and Mercedes (you choose your vehicle when booking). They are as competitive as Uber in London, particularly off peak, and more reliable. http://www.addlee.com

We used 24/7 to get us to the London hotel from Heathrow and then Smiths to Southampton and back there after the cruise in 2014. 24/7 had the best prices for around London for what we needed. We will be using Smiths again this year to get from Heathrow to Southampton. They provide a very nice service for a reasonable price.

Hello. I have lived many years in London and really do not recommend taking a taxi from the airport. You may be stuck in traffic for hours if you are unlucky and anyway it just takes far too long.

By far the best way to travel into town is to take the Heathrow Express train. The tickets are sold just as you exit the baggage claim and if you miss that then there are both ticket machines as well as a counter at the dedicated station.

You can put your luggage on a wheelie baggage cart and take it down the lifts and up to the entrance of the platform. There are two platforms so just check on the overhead signs which side goes first into town. The journey takes only 15 minutes and it is a dedicated train with no stops.

Once you get to Paddington you can get a taxi from the huge taxi rank adjacent to the exit directly to your hotel.

Hope this helps.

Are you kidding? Take 3 or 4 pieces of luggage on an underground train. NO WAY !!! If I can afford to cruise on Oceania than I can afford a taxi or private car into London. Not a snob but do not want to ruin my trip the first day.

Are you kidding? Take 3 or 4 pieces of luggage on an underground train. NO WAY !!! If I can afford to cruise on Oceania than I can afford a taxi or private car into London. Not a snob but do not want to ruin my trip the first day.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Terri

I couldn't agree with you more!

Terri

I was only trying to be helpful. It has nothing to do with what you can and cannot afford. in fact the train is very clean and comfortable and is the most expensive train journey (based on the price/distance) in the world today. I and the others who have significant experience with traveling in and out of London only suggested it as it is the difference between sitting in a cab for up to two hours and being in the center of town in 15 to 20 minutes. There is a porter service at Heathow that will look after your baggage.

However, the issue is moot. The OP has booked a car service and I can vouch that most of the car services are really good.

Have a nice trip.

I was only trying to be helpful. It has nothing to do with what you can and cannot afford. in fact the train is very clean and comfortable and is the most expensive train journey (based on the price/distance) in the world today. I and the others who have significant experience with traveling in and out of London only suggested it as it is the difference between sitting in a cab for up to two hours and being in the center of town in 15 to 20 minutes. There is a porter service at Heathow that will look after your baggage.

However, the issue is moot. The OP has booked a car service and I can vouch that most of the car services are really good.

Have a nice trip.

Thank you for your suggestion. It was well taken. My problem is moving luggage myself. When I have to deal with it in Heathrow and then again in Paddington, it is two times too many. If I were twenty years younger your suggestion might work.

Thank you for your help. I meant no offense.

Terri

Thank you for your suggestion. It was well taken. My problem is moving luggage myself. When I have to deal with it in Heathrow and then again in Paddington, it is two times too many. If I were twenty years younger your suggestion might work.

Thank you for your help. I meant no offense.

Terri

I meant no offense either. Just do not want to move luggage by ourselves.

Hi Terri,

We used batransfer.com for a late night transfer from Heathrow to a Central London hotel, then they took us to Dover a few days later. They also picked us up post cruise in Dover and took us back to Heathrow. They were prompt, courteous and a saloon car transfer was fairly priced.

This company was well recommended on the British isle boards. Their web site allows you to plug in your location and see a price.

Last summer we used Smith for Airports for Southampton transfers, they are based in Southampton and therefore beat most prices for Southampton trips.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.