Carry-on only!

DancingGypsy

Yes! We do only carry-on. It takes careful packing and planning. Our record carry-on was a 17 day winter Med cruise plus 5 nights in London. A week long cruise is definitely manageable.

I can supply details, but would most likely bore most readers!

Please share the details.......

I'm trying to see if I can make a carry-on work for a 5 nighter but it's not looking good right now. I need all the help I can get. I'm the person who always needs what I didn't bring and that's why I tend to over pack. I do agree that toiletries take up more room then you think. ;);)

Yes! We do only carry-on. It takes careful packing and planning. Our record carry-on was a 17 day winter Med cruise plus 5 nights in London. A week long cruise is definitely manageable.

I can supply details, but would most likely bore most readers!

Boring or not -- would be interesting to see how you do / did it.:)

"I am an over packer and can't travel any other way". I admire all you other's as I see you with your carryon...but alas I will never be one of you :o;)

Oh I'm so in agreement with you:D. I tend to over pack no matter how much pre-planning of what to wear/when - mix-matching etc as once on-board I might not feel like wearing what was planned on paper for that day.

I don't tend to pack a lot of shoes, dressy sandals, runners, beach sandals are pretty much it for me.

Toiletries -- no matter how small the container, why do they take up so much space!:)

I love the freedom of carry-on only travel as I take only what is needed. It also allows for much greater flexability if we fly; I have been able to change to planes that checked baggage people could not.

That has never been a problem or issue for us. We always fly with 3 large checked suit cases.

I admire all the young, strong people who can easily handle their own carry ons. But we are older and plan our trips so we can use porters and have good wheeled luggage.

One of my pet peeves is people who want to self-debarke, but cannot really handle their luggage in the "luggage warehouse ", going through customs, down stairs, etc. It can be dangerous. I saw a little old lady, looked to be all of 90 pounds trying to keep up with her family hauling a huge suitcase that weighed almost as much as she did. It was pitiful and downright dangerous watching her go down the stairs. Strangers were trying to help her, including my husband. Please folks, if you carry on, be able to really handle it yourselves.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We do, too. Two weeks is pretty easy, too.

It mostly comes down to planning. Minimize the "what ifs" and "I need choices".

We've been doing carry on only for a long time- I think at least since 2000 or so. And a few years ago, we adjusted our luggage to make it easier to fit in the overhead bins.

I also have a formal suit- which was important on 10 night + 5 day cruise/trip to Europe last year.

Sandals, formal shoes, running shoes, flip flops, and a few odds and ends for her.

All of the issues people have posted about porters or getting stuff to your room on time- not there. Getting off is super easy. Any issues with getting luggage lost- gone.

It's about planning AND packing neat. No open holes anywhere that make things more bulky than they need to be. FWIW- the bags that are the easiest to fit in the overhead bin are the short but slightly wider ones.

My only issue is that the 3 fold garment bag I have rolls on it's side instead of upright. That would make it perfect. And I have a design in my head if I knew someone who did bag fabrication.

I admire all the young, strong people who can easily handle their own carry ons. But we are older and plan our trips so we can use porters and have good wheeled luggage.

One of my pet peeves is people who want to self-debarke, but cannot really handle their luggage in the "luggage warehouse ", going through customs, down stairs, etc. It can be dangerous. I saw a little old lady, looked to be all of 90 pounds trying to keep up with her family hauling a huge suitcase that weighed almost as much as she did. It was pitiful and downright dangerous watching her go down the stairs. Strangers were trying to help her, including my husband. Please folks, if you carry on, be able to really handle it yourselves.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agree.

You can. men or women can buy light weight clothes, made of synthetic material that looks good and can be washed out in the sink, hung and dried easily and LOOK GOOD. Same for underwear, which for men is in a real challenge LOL.

I do think it depends more on what you want out of a cruise, than packing heavy or lite. We ALWAYS spend more time in a country or countries before or after a cruise/trip, so the post above that said she found that carrying suit cases on her own in hotels etc. and on/off trains for us, my wife found that I can not always be there to help her. Yes, many times in our travels, locals came to her rescue so she learned the easy way.

If we do a trip from Florida where we live, we are only limited to what we can load in the car.

PS edit, we always look good enough to eat in the MDR every night, some nights we might not make the CC fashion police happy but we look NICE.

Edited by north29

Would never want to try it!

I am a pretty sensible packer, and don't overpack. However, the 3 ounce limit for toiletries would really be impossible for me. I use a lot of sunscreen and need more than those travel size containers - probably use 3 oz. daily!

There are stores in the port cities.

Then again, we've never found the 3oz limit that limiting. With careful planning, you can fit a lot into one of those zip lock baggies. (and it's important that prescriptions and contacts stuff don't count)

My DH and I have carried on for Celebrity Reflection 7 night western carb. cruise in November of 2015. We had one one night pre cruise in Mary Brickell Village in Downtown Miami so it was a total of 8 nights.

I had a extra large purse and a rollie suitcase and he had a small tote (that sat on top) and a rollie suitcase. He wore a dress coat on the plane and I wore a long sweater so that we did not need winter coats. I used a Nook for books and my D H used his phone and the ships computers for E-Mails.

We took the Metro from the airport and the people mover around town. We walked on and off the ship with our luggage and yes we took on our 2 bottles of wine. Some corners can't be cut. I wore a different top each night as we were on traditional dining and saw the same couples.

I agree that the challenges are the shoes and cosmetics (liquids especially) but it can be done and it was worth it for the ease of getting around.

We just wanted to see if we could do the carry on thing and we did. I found some hints on line that helped. Of course, I would rather fly first class with the free bags but.....I now know I can go either way. Who knows if their table mates were the same shoes on both Chic nights and who cares as long as they are well groomed and presentable.

Good Luck.

Yes you can. We did a 13 night Alaska with a day before & after with only a carry on each & a backpack. Packed light, re-wore items mixing & matching and used laundry service for a couple of items later. Much cheaper & easier than paying for extra luggage & waiting around to collect checked bags.

We're heading out next week on a B2B 14 nights + a pre-cruise night with the same thing. Will be much easier since it's the Southern Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I travelled for a few weeks with just a carry-on. Everything was rolled tight as a knot!!!

When I got back to the US, the Customs officer didn't believe I travelled all that time with just one carry-on...they proceeded to un-roll and shake everything out until everything was in a huge pile on the table. My blood was boiling!

Then he said "OK...pack it up."

I yelled "YOU pack it up!!!"

:mad:

I do not advise anyone to yell at Customs.

That being said...do a search for scottevest. I have found mine very useful.

Yes you can! I wouldn't advise it but you can. For women just beach wraps and bathing suits, yes you can. For men, its much easier...all you need are swim trunks and a toothbrush.

:eek::eek:.....Most need a bit more than this ;)

I like my hands free when traveling. For a 7 night cruise which for us is always 2 weeks as we always spend a few days pre and post cruise we will use 3 checked bags, wife will have a carry on and I will have a backpack. We are on vacation so we don't skimp on what we need. We do enjoy dressing up for dinner even for restaurants before and after the cruise.

We use porters, bellboys etc where ever available.

There are stores in the port s

Then again, we've never found the 3oz limit that limiting. With careful planning, you can fit a lot into one of those zip lock baggies. (and it's important that prescriptions and contacts stuff don't count)

Have found sunscreen on board ship and in Caribbean ports of call to be very expensive and also hard to find - don't want to spend shore time looking. As I said, small bottles don't go far when you use a lot. Have also tried the wipes - waste of money - glad I tried at home first as they did not work well. Also can depend on the TSA, tried two bags once and was allowed through, but "reprimanded".

Also full-size carryon have to be gate checked here and picked up on the ramp. I don't like doing that and make sure anything I really want is in my purse/small carryon bag.

Would not work for me for other reasons - enjoy having more clothing/choices, but if others want to do that I am happy that it works for them.

Have found sunscreen on board ship and in Caribbean ports of call to be very expensive and also hard to find - don't want to spend shore time looking. As I said, small bottles don't go far when you use a lot. Have also tried the wipes - waste of money - glad I tried at home first as they did not work well. Also can depend on the TSA, tried two bags once and was allowed through, but "reprimanded".

Also full-size carryon have to be gate checked here and picked up on the ramp. I don't like doing that and make sure anything I really want is in my purse/small carryon bag.

Would not work for me for other reasons - enjoy having more clothing/choices, but if others want to do that I am happy that it works for them.

I meant San Juan, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami,etc. CVS is cheap. But that's ok.

As for your flight- I do notice you are from Green Bay- so for the first part, you have a point. Carrying on is a pain where there's no actual space.

But the choice thing. Well... to each their own. I don't think making the choice at home vs. in the cabin is that much different. We really don't like overpacking. Heck, DW complains at the end of each cruise about the stuff she didn't use.

I meant San Juan, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami,etc. CVS is cheap. But that's ok.

As for your flight- I do notice you are from Green Bay- so for the first part, you have a point. Carrying on is a pain where there's no actual w

But the choice thing. Well... to each their own. I don't think making the choice at home vs. in the cabin is that much different. We really don't like overpacking. Heck, DW complains at the end of each cruise about the stuff she didn't use.

Thanks for the comments and understanding.

Yes, the smaller commuter jets are not overhead baggage friendly. We have Delta/United/American, but depending on the destination (usually Detroit, Minneapolis, Atlanra/Chicago) they frequently use the small jets with very little overhead room and require full-size carryon bags to be gate checked.

Glad it works for you!