Expiring passport ?

familycruzer

My Alaskan cruise ends the first week of May 2017 and my passport expires in June of 17. Do I need to renew prior to the cruise?

The short answer is yes. You shouldn't travel on a passport if it has less than 6 months left.

"Many international travelers may not realize that having an unexpired passport is sometimes not enough to enter certain foreign countries. U.S. citizens traveling on passports that expire in fewer than six months have increasingly been denied airline boarding or been detained upon arrival in certain foreign destinations, including popular European travel destinations in the Schengen area. This is not a new requirement, but it is only recently that the requirement has been more strictly enforced.

U.S. passport holders who will have less than six months validity on their passport for upcoming international travel through the end of 2015 should consider renewing their passports now, so they can avoid delays due to increased passport demand in the weeks before Thanksgiving and at peak times throughout the year. It is especially important to check the passports of any minors who may be traveling. Passports for minors have a shorter validity period (5 years) than passports for adults (10 years) and thus may expire sooner.

The Bureau of Consular Affairs has updated its Schengen Fact Sheet on http://www.travel.state.gov. The 26 European countries comprising the Schengen area require that U.S. passports are valid for at least 90 days beyond the traveler’s intended date of departure for visa-free short-term tourism, business trips, or transit. Adherence varies from country to country. Some Schengen countries assume all travelers will stay the full three months allowed for visa-free visitors, meaning a visitor may not be admitted unless his/her passport is valid for at least six months, regardless of the duration of the stay. This requirement may also apply if a traveler is transiting a Schengen airport for several hours en route to a non-Schengen destination.

For all other destinations worldwide, the U.S. Department of State recommends that those traveling ensure that their passport has at least six months of validity beyond their dates of international travel to avoid unintended disruptions. Passport validity requirements for destination countries, along with other important information, can be found on our Country Specific Information pages at http://www.travel.state.gov.

To avoid uncertainty and ensure that travel plans are not disrupted, travelers should plan ahead to renew their passport before traveling. Visit our passport website for more information on applying for a new or renewal passport."

Edited by cmptrwiz

You should renew your passport. I'd recommend going ahead and doing it now. The good thing is they're not taking the full 6 weeks they say...I received my new passport 3 1/2 weeks after I mailed my application.

I'll be renewing my passport the 2nd week of April after I return from the Conquest. It expires in Sept 2016, so I'm doing it 5 months ahead. I'll need a valid passport when I visit Bermuda towards the end of May and Playa del Carmen in August.

I would not wait for less than 4 months prior to an international trip. Recent renewers have told me they got their new passport back within 3 weeks on an expedited renewal.

The short answer is yes. You shouldn't travel on a passport if it has less than 6 months left.

"Many international travelers may not realize that having an unexpired passport is sometimes not enough to enter certain foreign countries. U.S. citizens traveling on passports that expire in fewer than six months have increasingly been denied airline boarding or been detained upon arrival in certain foreign destinations, including popular European travel destinations in the Schengen area. This is not a new requirement, but it is only recently that the requirement has been more strictly enforced.

U.S. passport holders who will have less than six months validity on their passport for upcoming international travel through the end of 2015 should consider renewing their passports now, so they can avoid delays due to increased passport demand in the weeks before Thanksgiving and at peak times throughout the year. It is especially important to check the passports of any minors who may be traveling. Passports for minors have a shorter validity period (5 years) than passports for adults (10 years) and thus may expire sooner.

The Bureau of Consular Affairs has updated its Schengen Fact Sheet on http://www.travel.state.gov. The 26 European countries comprising the Schengen area require that U.S. passports are valid for at least 90 days beyond the traveler’s intended date of departure for visa-free short-term tourism, business trips, or transit. Adherence varies from country to country. Some Schengen countries assume all travelers will stay the full three months allowed for visa-free visitors, meaning a visitor may not be admitted unless his/her passport is valid for at least six months, regardless of the duration of the stay. This requirement may also apply if a traveler is transiting a Schengen airport for several hours en route to a non-Schengen destination.

For all other destinations worldwide, the U.S. Department of State recommends that those traveling ensure that their passport has at least six months of validity beyond their dates of international travel to avoid unintended disruptions. Passport validity requirements for destination countries, along with other important information, can be found on our Country Specific Information pages at http://www.travel.state.gov.

To avoid uncertainty and ensure that travel plans are not disrupted, travelers should plan ahead to renew their passport before traveling. Visit our passport website for more information on applying for a new or renewal passport."

What does this have to do with an Alaska cruise?

The simple answer to the OP is the passport is good for reentry to the USA until the day it expires.

I

What does this have to do with an Alaska cruise?

The simple answer to the OP is the passport is good for reentry to the USA until the day it expires.

I

Many Alaskan cruises make a port stop in Canada. Some even embark/disembark in Canada.

I'm aware of that. There still could be a huge back log of passports that need to be renewed then as well.

Sorry but I don't see a need to renew a passport 15 months in advance.

But I would do it say later this year to be on the safe side. :)

Keith

My Alaskan cruise ends the first week of May 2017 and my passport expires in June of 17. Do I need to renew prior to the cruise?

Here's what Carnival says:

"Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel-unless otherwise noted differently). This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests who must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S. without significant delays and complications."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1ODA2NzE3OC9zaWQvbkR5WG55TG0%3D

Canada requires "Valid at time of entry", US the same so the answer to your question is -- you do not have to renew it. To confirm this information go to the State Department link and it is all well documented.

Do what you want with all the opinions offered.

Sorry but I don't see a need to renew a passport 15 months in advance.

But I would do it say later this year to be on the safe side. :)

Either works. Just letting the OP know there could be a back log in case they aren't aware of it. Sorry you didn't "get that" out of my post. ;)

Edited by MtnDweller

Either works. Just letting the OP know there could be a back log in case they aren't aware of it. Sorry you didn't "get that" out of my post. ;)

Got it although I clearly didn't get the need for ASAP in the first post.

No big deal though. Understand you were trying to be cautious.

Peace. :D:)

And get that passport renewed.

Keith

You don't have to renew it before the cruise but I probably would do it because if you forget to get it done after the cruise and it expires you will pay a lot more and have more paperwork to get a new one than you would to just renew it.

You don't really save anything since you'll have to renew it right after the cruise anyway!

I agree, the increased number of passports being renewed won't cause that much of a backup. No need to be an alarmist.

Just letting the OP know there could be a back log in case they aren't aware of it. Not being an alarmist. Nice judgement there. LMAO

I am going to add my 2 pennyworth. It is not a good idea to have a passport that is only valid until 1 day after your return, what happens if there are problems and you are delayed you will be up the creek without a paddle. It is always a good idea to have at least 6 months left to run whenever you travel. However you still have a bit of time before you need to renew if you are traveling May 2017. Happy travels:)

My SO's passport expires in August 2016. We are sailing on March 27. He called Carnival and was told that four months before expiration was not a problem, but it still worries me. To be absolutely certain we are on the ship when it leaves the port, he has agreed to take along his birth certificate as backup.