Best Experience??

Shawski

I'm trying to decide whether it's best to sail out of New York Harbor or return sailing into the harbor. What are the best views? Which is the best experience?

Thanks

In general ships departing NY do so in the late afternoon and ships entering NY do so in the early morning...often before sunrise.

What cruises were you considering and at what time of the year? There are three different cruise terminals used by ships entering and leaving NY harbor...Manhattan, Brooklyn and Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ). What you'll see differs by cruise terminal.

Sailing out might be better since it should be daylight. There's a good chance that sailing in could be so early that it's dark. What cruises are you considering?

RCL and Celebrity sail from Bayonne. Cunard sails from Brooklyn. Princess usually sails from Brooklyn. The others usually sail from Manhattan.

The cruise we are looking at arrives on October 2 at 8 AM in Manhattan.

Sunrise in NY City on that date is 6:54 am, sunset 6:36 pm. Since 8 am scheduled arrivals typically dock earlier than that...often 7 am or earlier, you would be arriving just as it's getting light. Many people do get up early to see the Statue of Liberty at that time of the morning.

Based on the way you've asked your question and answered ours I have to assume you're talking about cruising on the Crystal Serenity, as the other two ships arriving in Manhattan that morning would have originated in Manhattan so you would have the opportunity to see both the NY departure and arrival.

I happen to like the early morning views coming in to NY, but it's a matter of personal taste.

Sail away!. You are in a festive mood celebrating the start of your cruise with drink in hand.

If you are arriving then you need to get up extra early to experience all the views (Statue of Liberty, Skyline, under the Verazzano Bridge) plus you're sad the cruise is over.

Thanks to everyone. I'm so glad I asked this question. I had always had this picture in my head of sailing into New York Harbor with the wonderful views and the Statue of Liberty. I'm convinced now that the sail away would be better. I would feel awful if I overslept and missed the whole thing!

Thanks to everyone. I'm so glad I asked this question.

You made the correct choice IMHO. Departing the is much more traffic on the Hudson and Upper Bay that makes it more interesting.

Arriving early in the morning lot less activity on the waters.

NCLStar231.jpg

sif.jpg

Thanks to everyone. I'm so glad I asked this question. I had always had this picture in my head of sailing into New York Harbor with the wonderful views and the Statue of Liberty. I'm convinced now that the sail away would be better. I would feel awful if I overslept and missed the whole thing!

When we sail from NYC, we try to get starboard so we can watch the Statue of Liberty from our balcony. We never tire of seeing Lady Liberty.

Our cruises always returned in the dark very early. One cruise I was up early enough and on the correct side to see the Statue on the way. Very special seeing her in the dark all lit up.

The most fun is sail away, the most reflective is from your balcony or the promenade deck. I hope you get to cruise enough to enjoy them all.