disembarking in Miami questions

gram4haley

Normally at the end of the cruise I get the transfers from the ship to the airport, but from what I am reading in other threads, that is expensive for my family of 4 adults and 1 toddler in Miami. Our flight leaves around 3:30pm so we should not be rushed leaving the ship.

Here are my questions:

What is self-disembarking?

How do I get a taxi at the ship?

Is there a time of day when it will be hard to get a taxi at the ship?

When would you leave the ship to go to the airport for a mid afternoon flight?

The Carnival shuttle in Miami is a hassle and no bargain but....4 adults, 1 todler and luggage probably wont fit in 1 standard cab. Taking two cabs will cost nearly the same as the Carnival shuttle, perhaps a few dollars less but it is much much much more convenient.

You won't be allowed to hang around on the ship waiting for your afternoon flight. They usually request that you vacate your cabin no later than 9am to allow them time for the turn-around for the oncoming passengers. If you have an afternoon flight maybe you can do one of Carnival's sightseeing tours of Miami while you wait.:confused:

We had a 12 pm flight and missed it. MIAMI was a nightmare. We sat in the ships hallways for hours. they could not locate 3 passengers that did not speak english....... Then, we finnally get off and we could not find one of our bags that they throw in piles (rows) that you run and find. Like an easter egg hunt... then, we took a bus back to the airport(should of got a taxi) forgot why we took the bus. he drove SLOW. and we missed the plane...

We have not sailed out of Miami in a year, but we also found that it was close to 11:30 when we got off the ship. By the time we found our luggage and got to the airport we had missed our 1:30 flight. Miami is a nightmare unless it has changed. We always wait till the last minute to get off to avoid the rush and lines. We had our 3 kids with us and lots of luggage so we found a van taxi and it worked just fine! Now we get a later flight and a rent a car to pick us up and tour Miami for the day.

What is self debarkation and how does it work?

you gotta be able to carry off all your luggage by yourself. Pleae note the elevators are very slow to non exisitant. so you should be able to carry the suitcases up and down stairs.

If your flight is at 3:30 this is not the way I would go-- too early arriving at the airport.

I would take a nice breakfast and be one of the last ones off the ship- about 10 or soon after.

Our flights in the past has always been between 1:30 - 2pm Never took the early off-- ate breakfast---toured various cabins to see what we want to book next..then picked up our carryons from the cabin.

Headed off between 10- 10:30. still had to wait for the flight.

I agree with the other posters - Miami is a nightmare when it comes to disembarking. This past April, we had reserved a limo ($80 to FLL) from TriCounty transportation to be at the port at 11am we waited on board for the lines to go down (they started at 8:45) but they never did. We finally got in line around 10:15, at Wee Jimmie's urging - and spent another hour and a half there. Another 20 minutes hunting down The limo driver must have called 3 times asking how long we would be. We also had a 3ish flight and we got to the airport with only 2 hrs to wait. BTW - when we finally got off the ship I saw very few taxis waiting. I would either arrange for a car or get in the line early.

We have sailed out of miami 5 times and we always always have a 1 to 1:30 flight. We have sailed solo and we now have 8 people. Here is what you can do to help.

1) The last evening of the cruise go to the pursers desk, Explain that you have an EARLY flight. By carnival standards this is usually considered a 12 or 12:30 flight. however if you have kids or old people :) it helps sell your situation. Just take your tickets to the pursers desk and they will usually give you the right color luggage tag to place on you luggage and then let you off the ship first.

2) When you clear customs, basically hand them a form, there is always a long line of cabs waiting for people, if not there will soon be a flurry of cabs bringing people. Just walk down the line and find the size you need.

I usually just walk to a van and TRAILER and get in and ride back to the pick up spot, we pack all the luggage and off to the airport.

In Miami (we fly Northwest)use the curb side check in for luggage, then use the kiosks for boarding passes. BESURE TO ONLY HAVE 2 pieces of carry on. They are nutty about this, I mean not a carry on and a purse and a...NOTHING. Everythign you are carring has to fit in to 2 BAGS!! no camera bag, no hip pouch, no extra shopping bags. THIS WILL SLOW YOU DOWN!

SO to recap...early planning, early color tags, cab to airport, curb side luggage check-in, Kiosk boarding pass, 2 bags for security.....NO problemo..

when I get home i will edit this post to include the phone number of a van driver that has a huge trailer and works the airport trade. it was only 10.00 each from the airport to the Hotel, via a liquor store, bayside Holiday INN. Then the next day it was only $5.00 from the hotel to the pier. Great guy he took all 9 people 28 bags!!

Archived