Anyone else stressing about the Travel Alert to Europe?

mom2dina

Ugh, my husband says to cancel because "Europe" is a hot spot right now... I don't think we should because things happen everywhere. I'm just real stressed out about it.

I told him he has 3 days to come up with something better before the deposit becomes non-refundable.

Not sure what to do .... Anyone else dealing with this?

Sorry initially put ban instead of alert

"

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL. Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. This Travel Alert expires on June 20, 2016.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.

"

Edited by mom2dina

Ugh, my husband says to cancel because "Europe" is a hot spot right now... I don't think we should because things happen everywhere. I'm just real stressed out about it.

I told him he has 3 days to come up with something better before the deposit becomes non-refundable.

There is no such travel ban to Europe!

I would not let the recent incident impact my decision to travel unless possibly the travel was scheduled very soon after the event. It sounds like you are just before final payment, so you likely have months.

That being said, you have to do what is best for you and your family.

Is your final payment due in 3 days?

There's no ban on travel to Europe and I haven't heard of Royal Caribbean cancelling any European cruises. If they deem an area unsuitable for tourists, they simply drop the port and substitute with another or a do a sea day.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.

"

Shouldn't everyone do this anyway, wherever and whenever you travel? I know I do, whether attending a local football match, or travelling to New York for a break. Just seems like common sense to me.

To avoid a whole continent seems an over-reaction to me, but only you know what your family's risk threshold is. My own belief, as one living in Europe, is that I am probably more at risk crossing or driving along a busy road than being caught up in a terrorist event.

Shouldn't everyone do this anyway, wherever and whenever you travel? I know I do, whether attending a local football match, or travelling to New York for a break. Just seems like common sense to me.

To avoid a whole continent seems an over-reaction to me, but only you know what your family's risk threshold is. My own belief, as one living in Europe, is that I am probably more at risk crossing or driving along a busy road than being caught up in a terrorist event.

Agreed 100%!

Just remember though, we're just at the start of this ISIS insanity, and there IS more to follow, and more will come to the USA. :mad:

Edited by loubetti

Back in October, there was a possibility that we were going to book a cruise on Vision from Venice for this upcoming June.

We ended up booking a Caribbean sailing for no other reason than we had family that wanted to go with us and they couldn't swing a trip to Europe.

If I had booked that trip in June, I would definitely still be going.

Not stressing, and not changing any travel plans.

Bingo!!

I have far more to be concerned about riding the subways in NYC every day with the massive increase in slashings and stabbings we're experiencing than the remote possibility that something happens while I'm on my upcoming trip.

When it's your time, it's your time, period. Staying home and cowering in your house won't keep your time from coming - just maybe change the way it does.

Bingo!!

I have far more to be concerned about riding the subways in NYC every day with the massive increase in slashings and stabbings we're experiencing than the remote possibility that something happens while I'm on my upcoming trip.

When it's your time, it's your time, period. Staying home and cowering in your house won't keep your time from coming - just maybe change the way it does.

Totally agree.

Wife and I want to visit Europe eventually, but now isn't the time. Which is fine, we have a long list of places we want to visit that we can visit in the meantime and get to Europe later.

That's pretty much how we feel.

Agreed 100%!

Just remember though, we're just at the start of this ISIS insanity, and there IS more to follow, and more will come to the USA. :mad:

Nice bit of a fear-mongering.

It's actually believed that IS/Daesh are scaling back after not being able to claim a large percentage of Syrian territory that they needed, but hey, if you watch opinion based channels that thrive on shouty "everyone's going to die" rubbish then you would.

Just enjoy your life, forget about it, fear spreading is what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk