Anyone else stressing about the Travel Alert to Europe?

mom2dina

I don't believe there is ever a travel ban when it evolves US citizens. You are free to travel wherever you want when you want. However it is wise to take advice how you should travel and be vigilant to your surroundings. Just be smart and avoid high traffic areas. Mass destruction is what terrorist look for. Keeping a low profile is always a smart thing. Blend in to locals and don't look too American. Americans are ultimate targets for these fools.

However it is wise to take advice how you should travel and be vigilant to your surroundings. Just be smart and avoid high traffic areas. Mass destruction is what terrorist look for. Keeping a low profile is always a smart thing. Blend in to locals and don't look too American. Americans are ultimate targets for these fools.

I think that any major European city in the summer is a high traffic area. People are traveling to see major tourist attractions, which is what we are being told to avoid (crowded areas). If you're staying on a farm in Tuscany I don't think you have to worry.

I have lived outside the United States for many years now so these travel Alerts and warnings are something I have had to deal with for years. You read them and always keep your guard up. Look around notice people and make safety your own issue, understand you are responsible for your safety, don't let anyone put your safety into question. And then just live your life and enjoy your trips.

We(DS17 and I)have the Harmony of the Seas cruise in June, followed by a few days in Paris and then London.

Although we haven't cancelled, we are thinking about tweaking Paris plans. We have tickets to the Germany/Northern Ireland Euro Cup game and that makes DH nervous.

The only thing thing in that alert that gives us pause is the part of staying away from large events and festivals. Paris will be packed with events during this time so we are wait and see. As well as the train from Paris to London.

For people that live in Europe, give Americans a bit of a break. When you are told that American tourists are being targeted in a place and surrounding you are not familiar with, it can be unnerving. Postponing a trip does not mean stopping life, it just means, "maybe another time".

We live in a different World these days, I'm not in Europe but in SE Asia. So safety is still a issue but I protect myself and my family. My home is located inside a private gated community, with armed guards at the main gate. My home itself is within a private compound within the community and has a 6 meter high wall around it.... And a private 24/7 guard with a shotgun who will stop anyone who does not belong.

I do not rely upon what others say to make life safe I put my systems in place so I am safe.

For people that live in Europe, give Americans a bit of a break. When you are told that American tourists are being targeted in a place and surrounding you are not familiar with, it can be unnerving. Postponing a trip does not mean stopping life, it just means, "maybe another time".

That is the thing. Nobody is targeting Americans in Europe. The attacks have been wholly indiscriminate and are aimed at gaining maximum headlines and widespread disruption. I really don't know where this scaremongering is coming from. Of course, there is a possibility that Americans are caught up in terrorist attacks in Europe or anywhere else. Just to put this into context, when you look at the 130 victims of the November attacks in Paris, 102 were French, 3 Belgian, 3 Algerian, 3 Chilean, 3 Spanish, 2 Egyptian, 2 German, 2 Mexican, 2 Portuguese, 2 Romania, 2 Senegalese, 2 Tunisian, 1 from Burkina Faso, 1 Italian, 1 Morroccan, 1 Russian, 1 Swedish, 1 Turkish, 1 British, 1 Venzuelan and 1 American.

At the January 2015 Paris attacks, out of the 20 people who died, all 20 were French. At the attacks in Brussels, out of 31 victims, 15 nationalities have yet to be confirmed, but the remaining ones consist of 9 Belgians, 2 American, 1 Chinese, 1 German, 1 Peruvian, 1 Dutch, 1 Swiss, 1 German and 1 British.

So out of 181 victims, there were 3 that were American. Of course, these were 3 too many, but claiming that Americans were targeted just does not stand up to scrutiny.

Corinna

Exactly.

It's being reported that the Brussels attack was targeting Americans. The airline counters were American Airlines and the metro stop was the one near the US Embassy.

Maybe DH misunderstood that

Listen I want to go but DH ond DS are apprehensive

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have lived outside the United States for many years now so these travel Alerts and warnings are something I have had to deal with for years. You read them and always keep your guard up. Look around notice people and make safety your own issue, understand you are responsible for your safety, don't let anyone put your safety into question. And then just live your life and enjoy your trips.

What you and others are suggesting, that being aware of one's surroundings during travel, is somehow helpful against terror attacks, boggles the mind. Terrorists do an excellent job of blending into the scenery. You won't know about the attack until it's too late to do anything about it. Why not tell the truth? If you choose to travel, you may become a victim of a horrible attack? Then you should decide if you want to chance it. There is no shame in being afraid, but lying to yourself about your chances of escaping a targeted area is cowardly.

Take care,

Sharon

Terrorists operate all over the world, one never really knows where they will strike next. Do what you think fit if you are afraid to travel. but remember you only life once. People from many countries get caught up in these atrocities. Thinking of the bereaved families and those who have life changing injuries.

That is the thing. Nobody is targeting Americans in Europe. The attacks have been wholly indiscriminate and are aimed at gaining maximum headlines and widespread disruption. I really don't know where this scaremongering is coming from. Of course, there is a possibility that Americans are caught up in terrorist attacks in Europe or anywhere else. Just to put this into context, when you look at the 130 victims of the November attacks in Paris, 102 were French, 3 Belgian, 3 Algerian, 3 Chilean, 3 Spanish, 2 Egyptian, 2 German, 2 Mexican, 2 Portuguese, 2 Romania, 2 Senegalese, 2 Tunisian, 1 from Burkina Faso, 1 Italian, 1 Morroccan, 1 Russian, 1 Swedish, 1 Turkish, 1 British, 1 Venzuelan and 1 American.

At the January 2015 Paris attacks, out of the 20 people who died, all 20 were French. At the attacks in Brussels, out of 31 victims, 15 nationalities have yet to be confirmed, but the remaining ones consist of 9 Belgians, 2 American, 1 Chinese, 1 German, 1 Peruvian, 1 Dutch, 1 Swiss, 1 German and 1 British.

So out of 181 victims, there were 3 that were American. Of course, these were 3 too many, but claiming that Americans were targeted just does not stand up to scrutiny.

Corinna

I don't know why it was deleted but I'm still curious who the one American is that all UK people dislike?

I don't know why it was deleted but I'm still curious who the one American is that all UK people dislike?

Probably because it involved politics and associated discussion. I respect this and will not say anything more on this tangent of the topic.

Corinna

Edited by dolphingirl47

Probably because it involved politics and associated discussion. I respect this and will not say anything more on this tangent of the topic.

Corinna

Apparently I missed a lot. Oh well. I was hoping you were going to say Donald trump. 😀

It's being reported that the Brussels attack was targeting Americans. The airline counters were American Airlines and the metro stop was the one near the US Embassy.

The Metro stop is not the one near the US Embassy. There are closer ones. The metro stop is right in the middle between the European Parliament and the Belgian Parliament.

Airline counter was Brussels Airlines and American Airlines, so I don't think only Americans were targeted.

I work in Brussels daily and I can understand why people are scared. But Europe is generally safe. My dad always says there are crazy people in the US when there are shootings. My opinion is that there are fools everywhere, in every country and on every continent.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

Safe travels everyone

Ok I almost find this funny. Especially since I would consider Haiti and Mexico to be more dangerous than Europe. Yet folks hit those spots on cruises all year round. I lived in Germany for 3 years, Belgium for one and Italy for 3 years. Traveled to everywhere I could while there. Never really worried about terrorism except right after 9/11 and I was living in Germany. It was a bit tense for about a year. Some of that was because we were military living in foreign country so military limited our travel for awhile. Overall Europe and the Med are phenomenal places to visit. Great people, great food, great things to do and see. I miss living overseas..[emoji17] as for traveling right now just need to be aware of real hot beds not inflammatory news hotbeds. Just be careful when traveling and don't make yourself a target. I would be more worried about pickpockets than terrorists.

There's many airline desks besides American Airlines in the area, news reports will use a familiar brand to associate you with the airport, hence AA's name being used. RyanAir and EasyJet were mentioned a few times on UK news channels.

Secondly, many embassies are near the station used, including the European Parliament, something that was probably more of a target than an embassy.

Know some who were killed on 9/11 and can understand your feelings either way, travel or not.

Happy Easter or happy whatever you celebrate and happy cruising and let us stay off the political topic. People here in US can vote for whoever they wish.

Amen.

You and your family should make a decision based on what you feel is right for the three of you. If your family is going to be apprehensive the whole time, then that really isn't much of a vacation.

It matters exactly zero what any of the rest of us unknown people on this forum are saying or doing. For your family only your feelings matter.

You and your family should make a decision based on what you feel is right for the three of you. If your family is going to be apprehensive the whole time, then that really isn't much of a vacation.

It matters exactly zero what any of the rest of us unknown people on this forum are saying or doing. For your family only your feelings matter.

But hopefully those feelings will not be based solely on fear-mongering "news reports", but rather on actual facts. It has been pretty convincing refuted that the recent attacks were targeting Americans. If I had depended solely on"feelings" I might not have gone to first grade.