TSA Pre-check!

bigsky

So excited to learn about the TSA pre check today! Once we were standing in a long line at the airport, which can be normal at some. Someone mentioned this, but didn't know what it was. My friend today learned about this and informed me about it. It's good for 5 years. You fill out an application, supply fingerprints and pay your fee. If you're accepted, you can skip security check point lines. Just one trip a year is worth this! $85.00

This is the website if you have questions. Our local airport is doing it this week, and dh is on a trip. Have to travel a few hrs to another airport in a few weeks. This will save so much time!

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply

Maybe most know about this. I've been traveling for years and wish I knew about this sooner!

This has been around for a few years now.

I agree it's worth the money.

It's not supposed to cover family but I just printed boarding passes and they all say pre-check.

So excited to learn about the TSA pre check today! Once we were standing in a long line at the airport, which can be normal at some. Someone mentioned this, but didn't know what it was. My friend today learned about this and informed me about it. It's good for 5 years. You fill out an application, supply fingerprints and pay your fee. If you're accepted, you can skip security check point lines. Just one trip a year is worth this! $85.00

This is the website if you have questions. Our local airport is doing it this week, and dh is on a trip. Have to travel a few hrs to another airport in a few weeks. This will save so much time!

Maybe most know about this. I've been traveling for years and wish I knew about this sooner!

We still go through security check point lines, though they are usually shorter and quicker than the non Pre-Check lines. We don't have to take off shoes or belts or liquids and don't have to remove laptops from bags. We also normally (not always) get to go through the metal detector instead of the naked scanner.

Edited by clarea

You don't really skip the the security check point, you just go through what is typically a shorter line. It doesn't require you remove your shoes, electronics, or your 3-1-1 liquids. That in itself makes the line move faster.

I definitely think it's worth the $85 for Pre-check, but if there was a closer place to have enrolled I would have preferred the Global Entry program. It gets you Pre-Check as well but is also useful if you're traveling internationally. I've heard some cruise terminals have Global Entry lines, but I haven't noticed one personally. (I've only been through Miami, San Juan, and Galveston ports in the last 2 years.)

Keep in mind that if you keep telling lots of people about Pre-check, the lines are going to get longer. :D ;)

TSA Pre Check is great for those who fly often. It makes things a lot easier.

We now have gone with Global Entry and that is good for those who arrive back to the USA internationally.

The added benefit is you can use your Global Entry card when arriving back to Port Everglades and go on a shorter line. They don't have kiosks but you just use it to show it to the immigrations official.

Hopefully, in time they will expand this to other USA ports.

Keith

This has been around for a few years now.

I agree it's worth the money.

It's not supposed to cover family but I just printed boarding passes and they all say pre-check.

I think your kids 12 and under can go through with you without applying.

You don't really skip the the security check point, you just go through what is typically a shorter line. It doesn't require you remove your shoes, electronics, or your 3-1-1 liquids. That in itself makes the line move faster.

I definitely think it's worth the $85 for Pre-check, but if there was a closer place to have enrolled I would have preferred the Global Entry program. It gets you Pre-Check as well but is also useful if you're traveling internationally. I've heard some cruise terminals have Global Entry lines, but I haven't noticed one personally. (I've only been through Miami, San Juan, and Galveston ports in the last 2 years.)

Keep in mind that if you keep telling lots of people about Pre-check, the lines are going to get longer. :D ;)

You know...I should have thought of that! hhmm....Maybe I should delete this :D

I Travel quite often and while I can not apply for TSA pre check because I am not a US citizen, very often we get pre checked showing up on our boarding passes. I am not sure if it's done by computer randomly or they get to know you in the system by the amount of times you fly.

As others have said you do not get to by pass security just a separate line with less restrictions to follow.

For $100, you can apply for global entry, which automatically gets you pre-check. If you travel internationally, you get through customs quicker...I've not used it on a cruise yet...don't know if it works with cruise lines or only airports. I figured it was worth the additional $15.

We still go through security check point lines, though they are usually shorter and quicker than the non Pre-Check lines. We don't have to take off shoes or belts or liquids and don't have to remove laptops from bags. We also normally (not always) get to go through the metal detector instead of the naked scanner.

Correct. We many times have to go thru Seattle airport and the lines are so long. The pre check hardly had anyone there.

For $100, you can apply for global entry, which automatically gets you pre-check. If you travel internationally, you get through customs quicker...I've not used it on a cruise yet...don't know if it works with cruise lines or only airports. I figured it was worth the additional $15.

I called and she told me about it. We're going to Europe next yr. I decided against it because we have to travel really far to where we go to apply.

I Travel quite often and while I can not apply for TSA pre check because I am not a US citizen, very often we get pre checked showing up on our boarding passes. I am not sure if it's done by computer randomly or they get to know you in the system by the amount of times you fly.

As others have said you do not get to by pass security just a separate line with less restrictions to follow.

Wow...I guess we're just the unlucky ones. We've never had pre check. Shorter lines will be worth it.

It is not an automatic. We have NEXUS and Goes and still randomly get checked or don't get TSA pre-check? More times not, than experiencing the Pre-check for some reason?

I get pre check about 90% of the time and I've never filled out anything or paid for it.

This is a program to get people interested in pre-check. TSA gives each airline so many that they can hand out randomly. It is my understanding that it is being phased back towards ending completely in a couple of years.

I think most people know, it's pretty visible at the airport.

The deterrent is the money, but also it's kind of a pain to get it. I had to go in person to the airport and had to have an advance appointment. Weekdays only, and no evening hours. Basically I had to wait until I was off on a weekday but in town, which is rare. Took me 2 years to finally get it together.